Old 05-10-2003, 09:26 AM
James Delahanty

Default Clara Thompson

For old members of rgr: Clara Thompson is reported to have died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty. She established and
maintained helpmefind.com, an essential resource to amateur rosarians.
JD

Old 05-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Mary

JD,

If you find out about funeral arrangements please let us know.

Mary

Old 05-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Gail Futoran

"James Delahanty" wrote in
message
nk.net...
For old members of rgr: Clara Thompson is reported to have

died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty. She

established and
maintained helpmefind.com, an essential resource to

amateur rosarians.
JD

That's sad. Thanks for passing on the word.

Gail

Old 05-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Daniel Hanna

In et James Delahanty
wrote:
For old members of rgr: Clara Thompson is reported to have died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty. She established
and maintained helpmefind.com, an essential resource to amateur
rosarians.

My regard to any relatives, should they ever find this discussion on
Google. Her work has brought much joy to our lives. I hope it lives on
in some form - it would be a double tragedy if the fruits of her labours
were to disappear.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Radika

James Delahanty wrote:
For old members of rgr: Clara Thompson is reported to have died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty. She established and
maintained helpmefind.com, an essential resource to amateur rosarians.

Am very sorry to hear this news.

--
Radika
California

Old 05-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Mary

Yes, I noticed the date after I sent the message off. Sorry. It's
sad that we were not told sooner. Such and incredible and wonderful
woman. We had many conversations together. She will be missed.

Mary

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:18:33 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

Since she died on August 31 I imagine arrangements are long over.
.. .

Old 05-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Mary

woman. We had many conversations together. She will be missed.

Yes.

Old 05-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Regina

Radika wrote:

James Delahanty wrote:
For old members of rgr: Clara Thompson is reported to have died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty. She established and
maintained helpmefind.com, an essential resource to amateur rosarians.

Am very sorry to hear this news.

As am I. And I am so glad she was able to make it to that San Jose VRS
gathering a couple of years ago.

Regina
Old 05-10-2003, 11:12 PM
James Delahanty

"Mary" wrote in message
Yes, I noticed the date after I sent the message off. Sorry. It's
sad that we were not told sooner. Such and incredible and wonderful
woman.

I have made inquiries regarding either a site to which cards or letters
might be addressed or some kind of memorial, but have received no
response as of this date.
JD

Old 06-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Bob Bauer

For old members of rgr: Clara Thompson is reported to have died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty.

I am incredibly sad to hear this news. I considered her to be a great
friend. I even met and hung around with her for a few days in San
Jose, CA 2 years ago. I know there are many, many who feel the same
way I do.

In the late 90's she was THE most prolific poster on this newsgroup.
You can probably search USENET archives and find her messages.

She was incredibly funny and had a positive and light hearted
attitude. Very playful and intelligent. Truly one of the greats.

She always refused to even consider making HelpMeFind a commercial
venture. HelpMeFind is the greatest information resource in the rose
world. Period.

Most of us lost touch with her over a year or so ago when she stopped
having an internet presence. She must have been ill during this
period. I tried to find her through email, but never succeeded.

I'll always cherish her continuous 'devil may care' nature. She was
always kidding around and didn't take anything too seriously. A
great personality, with a wonderful outlook on life.

She loved the rose 'Lilian Austin'. I will plant one for her in my
garden in the spring.

I miss her.

Bob Bauer
Old 06-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Shiva

James Delahanty wrote:

Clara Thompson is reported to have died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty. She established and
maintained helpmefind.com, an essential resource to amateur rosarians.

One of the neatest things about Clara is that she was an Italophile and
classical studies nut during an era when the study of "dead white guys"
has become ultra passe. She recognized beauty where she found it--regardless
of fashions in roses or thought--and celebrated it. She was not the type who
would grow only OGRs because they were "the thing to grow" at the moment.
She had a circumspect quality that underlay her "bubbly" facade and spoke
volumes about her natural intelligence. She could be disarmingly indirect. I
am shocked and saddened that she is gone so young.

Old 08-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Sunflower

"James Delahanty" wrote in message
nk.net...
For old members of rgr: Clara Thompson is reported to have died on
August 31st peacefully in her sleep; she was fifty. She established and
maintained helpmefind.com, an essential resource to amateur rosarians.
JD

Awww, HELL! I'm sorry but only some sort of curse will do to express the
shock and sadness of one gone so relatively young. I'll miss Bubbles. At
least HMF is a fine tribute to her love of roses and I hope that it
continues. If whomever is behind the scenes now needs $ to maintain it, I'd
be willing to contribute in Clara's memory. She deserves to have it live on
and remain useful.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Clara Thomson An Metet Roses 0 06-10-2003 08:12 PM
Thompson&Morgan Nasturtium Cobra Plants Terryfilby United Kingdom 0 24-07-2003 11:02 AM
Question on Thompson's seed bank database Judith Baltsar Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
San Jose/Santa Clara County horse manure for composter. The Gardners Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2003 10:20 PM
Question on Thompson's seed bank database Judith Baltsar Plant Science 0 12-03-2003 02:08 PM