Old 16-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Emil

Default What causes blooms to shrink in size?

Hi,

I live in zones 9-10, city of Tujunga in Southern, CA. Some of the roses I
have, that are in the 2nd year of growth have smaller blooms than before.
One rose in particular is Midas Touch. When MT first started blooming this
year, the roses were nice and big, now I am getting small flowers, that
don't open correctly. My Tigress rose is also giving smaller blooms than
last year, and I won't even mention JFK. Ugh, I have white roses! I am
feeding the roses with Bayer's rose food following the instructions. My
watering method seems to be good, since my other roses are doing fine.

Any suggestions? Should I add anything to my feedings, fish emulsion, stuff
like that?

Thanks,
Emil

Old 16-05-2004, 04:06 AM
JimS.

"Emil" wrote in message
Hi,

One rose in particular is Midas Touch. When MT first started blooming this
year, the roses were nice and big, now I am getting small flowers, that
don't open correctly.

Emil,
It's not unusual for the first flush of blooms for the season to be more
numerous and larger than the later blooms. Mine always do that too.

My Tigress rose is also giving smaller blooms thanlast year, and I won't

even mention JFK.

Yeah, don't even mention JFK. I had it too, but I finally dug it up. It
never put forth too many blooms for me. The blooms it did have were nice,
but not very numerous. I finally orphaned it to the city-owned parking
strip on the corner. Too bad--I liked it, but it just wasn't productive.

Old 16-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Emil

"JimS." wrote in message
"Emil" wrote in message
Hi,

One rose in particular is Midas Touch. When MT first started blooming

this
year, the roses were nice and big, now I am getting small flowers, that
don't open correctly.

Emil,
It's not unusual for the first flush of blooms for the season to be more
numerous and larger than the later blooms. Mine always do that too.

That's interesting. Sundance is a new rose I planted this year. The first
bloom was HUGE, now it's giving off small roses. After a year or two will
the blooms get bigger?

My Tigress rose is also giving smaller blooms thanlast year, and I won't

even mention JFK.

Yeah, don't even mention JFK. I had it too, but I finally dug it up. It
never put forth too many blooms for me. The blooms it did have were nice,
but not very numerous. I finally orphaned it to the city-owned parking
strip on the corner. Too bad--I liked it, but it just wasn't productive.

I just don't like white roses in general. They give me the most problems
with disease, and not opening up correctly. I think this will be the last
year for JFK.
:-)

Emil

Old 16-05-2004, 06:05 AM
JimS.

"Emil" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message

That's interesting. Sundance is a new rose I planted this year. The first
bloom was HUGE, now it's giving off small roses. After a year or two will
the blooms get bigger?

I don't know.... But I bet you will see next year, the first round of
blooms is again the biggest (bigger than your second round this year), then
the later rounds get smaller. Whether the later rounds are bigger than the
later ones this year, I don''t know. Mine seem to stay about the same, but
the first blooms are the biggest.

I just don't like white roses in general. They give me the most problems
with disease, and not opening up correctly.

Do you have Iceberg or Fabulous? They're both white, bloom a lot, and mine
are pretty disease resistent. They are more bushy and the form is a little
different, but they are both pretty trouble free for me.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 16-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Emil

"JimS." wrote in message

"Emil" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message

[...]

The 2 white roses I have are JFK and Grand Finale. Both are going to get the
shovel prune soon. I had Iceberg at my old house, never had Fabulous. Is
Fabulous a Tea rose?

Emil

Old 16-05-2004, 10:10 PM
JimS.

"Emil" wrote in message
The 2 white roses I have are JFK and Grand Finale. Both are going to get

the
shovel prune soon. I had Iceberg at my old house, never had Fabulous. Is
Fabulous a Tea rose?

Emil

Fabulous is a lot like Iceberg. If you didn't like Iceberg, you probably
wouldn't like Fabulous either. I think it's a cross from Iceberg. I also
have Grand Finale. My Grand Finale puts out much, much more than JFK.
They're not even in the same category.
It's not my most productive one either, but I like it enough to keep.

JimS.

Old 16-05-2004, 11:23 PM
ben boorman

I'm in Zone 10A, Compton, with some of the same issues. Thrips! Spray
for same every 5 days until a full bloom cycle is gone.

ben

Old 17-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Emil

Emil wrote:
[...]

Which brand of sprayer do you use? Compton eh? I just finished my first
hospital rotation at Martin Luther King County hospital on Friday. :-)

Emil

Old 17-05-2004, 03:16 PM
dave weil

On Sun, 16 May 2004 20:57:02 GMT, "JimS."
wrote:

My Grand Finale puts out much, much more than JFK.

I thought that JFK put out more than *anyone*.

Oh, you're talking about the rose.

Neeeever mind.