Old 20-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Shiva

Default Water Makes a Big Difference

In previous years I deep-watered my roses three times
a week--essentially every other day. I was not thinking
of how much they needed to stay alive, but of how they
could not really get too much water as long as it drained.

This year I have been busy, and out of town a bunch, so
I've kept up with rainfall and as long as we received two
inches in a week, I did not water.

Springtime was about normal, large flushes of blooms
on all the older roses, smaller ones on the younger
roses.

Now that the 90 degree (F) temps have set in, I see
the difference. With minimal water most of my roses
have no blooms at all; a few of the older ones have
a few. In past years with abundant watering they all
had many more blooms. I attribute this difference
to watering because I cannot identify any other differences.

Old 20-06-2004, 09:04 PM
torgo

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:41:34 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

Now that the 90 degree (F) temps have set in, I see
the difference. With minimal water most of my roses
have no blooms at all; a few of the older ones have
a few. In past years with abundant watering they all
had many more blooms. I attribute this difference
to watering because I cannot identify any other differences.

I'm seeing the same thing. I've watered less frequently since the new
restrictions kicked in, and the difference is quite noticeable.
Instead of baskets of blooms, I'm getting a bloom here and a bloom
there, and only on the well established bushes.

I hate to think what will happen to the new bushes when we hit the 100
degree days later this summer.
Old 20-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Shiva

torgo wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing. I've watered less frequently since the new
restrictions kicked in, and the difference is quite noticeable.
Instead of baskets of blooms, I'm getting a bloom here and a bloom
there, and only on the well established bushes.

Due to this, I am thinking that paying for an irrigation system is
in my best interest. I used to look upon watering by hose as a kind
of "Zen" activity--a chance for my mind to be quiet, and for me to
slow down. But the fact is, it just takes too long and there will
always be times when I just can't get out there as often as I want
to.

I hate to think what will happen to the new bushes when we hit the 100
degree days later this summer.

I think maybe there are temps that shut the roses down in a kind
of "conservation dormancy" regardless of watering. 95+ seems to be
it in my garden.

Hope the watering restrictions ease up soon. Hope it rains
and rains for you!

Old 21-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Unique Too

Hello to all. It's been a busy spring, early summer here and I haven't had
much time to keep up with the computer. I hope things slow down a little bit
now and I can spend more time doing the things I enjoy, especially in the
gardens.

The subject line reminded me of something I learned this spring about
watering. We had a very dry May and I had to water frequently. I have a
watering system in place consisting of soaker hoses looped around the roses and
under the mulch that I have used for several years. This year after I watered
with this system I noticed several of the plants looking water deprived, so I
pulled back the mulch to check the soil moisture. I was surprised that it was
completely dry except for an inch or two right around the hoses. I don't have
typical Florida sand instead of soil, rather good rich clayish soil.
I decided I should water by hand with the hose to get everything wet. I used
the hose and watered what I thought was a sufficient amount to get the soil
throughly wet. Then I pulled back the mulch and checked again. I was really
surprised, the soil was still completely dry. It seems the deep mulch was so
dry it sucked up all the water before it could get to the soil
Finally I discovered a way to get the soil itself wet. I used the hose without
a nozzle and put the end down below the mulch and watered. I could see it
spread out as the mulch floated up. Now when I checked, the soil itself was
wet several inches down.
I've said all this to offer advise to others when they water. Check the soil
after you water. Make sure the water you are putting down is getting to the
soil. I learned something very important this year. When it doesn't rain the
mulch will dry out and soak up all the water put down on top of it. You have
to get the water down to the soil before the roses can use it.
Old 24-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Snooze

This year, an effort reduce the mold and fungus problem II replaced the
sprinkler heads with a drip irrigation system. I put 2 coils of soaker hose
around each rose, underneath the mulch. This way the water goes straight
down into the soil, rather then moistening the mulch.

Try a drip system, that might help, it saves water, and delivers it in the
right spot.

Snooze