Old 27-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Candy

Default Preserving a rose?

I don't know if this is the place to ask, or if I should be asking
somewhere else. I recently received a miniature rose that my husband
found on a rosebush that someone had thoughtlessly destroyed. It is so
beautiful that I thought that I would like to preserve it as it is, that
is, how it looks now. I thought that it would look great suspended in
something like a paperweight (or something like that), but I can't seem
to find any information on how to do it myself, or a service that can do
it, or a kit. Does anyone have any ideas? I would rather not dry it,
and if I can, I'd like to preserve it how it looks now. Does anyone
have any ideas? I'm hoping that there are many different ways of doing
it. Thank you very much. ~~Candy

Old 27-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Karen

(Candy) wrote in message ...
I don't know if this is the place to ask, or if I should be asking
somewhere else. I recently received a miniature rose that my husband
found on a rosebush that someone had thoughtlessly destroyed. It is so
beautiful that I thought that I would like to preserve it as it is, that
is, how it looks now. I thought that it would look great suspended in
something like a paperweight (or something like that), but I can't seem
to find any information on how to do it myself, or a service that can do
it, or a kit. Does anyone have any ideas? I would rather not dry it,
and if I can, I'd like to preserve it how it looks now. Does anyone
have any ideas? I'm hoping that there are many different ways of doing
it. Thank you very much. ~~Candy

I've seen some kind of plastic table with flowers in it. I believe
it's made by pouring epoxy. You can go and post a question in the
woodworking group. Those guys know a lot about this technique or
other. But they are a bunch of perfectionists. They tend to do things
overboard. A half day project may become 3 month
"stay-in-garage-to-polish-my-creation-with-tooth-paste-to-avoid-my-wife/husband"
if you use their method.

I vaugely remember one of the do-it-yourself shows did a table like
that. I think it's "while you were out" in Canadian Home Network. You
may get the information from their web site.

Old 27-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Gail Futoran

"Candy" wrote in message
[...]

Several of my rose books show how to
preserve a rose but they seem to only deal
with drying roses.

You might check on some rose books in
a bookstore or library. The American
Rose Society www.ars.org might have
an article on rose preservation.

Have you checked to see if there are any
craft newsgroups? I'm not aware of any,
but with 1,000s of newsgroups, I wouldn't
be surprised if there were some that might
be helpful.

Good luck!

Gail

Old 27-08-2004, 06:11 PM
curious

Buy silica gel and place rose in box and sprinkle with silica gel to bury
the rose and leave for several weeks, it will dry out with color intact.

Check it from time to time to see if the rose is completely dry.

Old 27-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Candy

Thank you all. ~~Candy