Old 29-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Gordon Couger

Default RR Wheat - but who wants it? (was GM German Wheat Trials...)

It doesn't have the quaintly that we like.

Gordon
"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:15:09 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

After a perfect year for wild oats in western Oklahoma Round Up Ready

wheat
would find a place if it could be sold. Depending on custom cutter and
bigger combines have scattered wild oats every where and normal cultural
practices in wheat won't control them.

But you have Puma available to deal with wild oats in the growing
crop, haven't you?

It takes a long time in a summer crop
to get rid of the seed and only a year or two to get it back from the
ditches, combines and birds. Combines being the worst vector.

In my farming it isn't a problem as land is only in wheat as cover or
transition between crops for the most part. Neither wheat or cattle are
worth enough to make it interesting.

Gordon
"Dean Ronn" @home wrote in message
Even if Monsanto does manage to get a registration on this wheat,

there's
no danger of any producers wanting to grow this stuff. I retail farm
supplies here in Saskatchewan, and also buy grain, as I manage a grain
elevator. 96% of the canola seed that I sell is R.R. Absolutely none of

my
customers are interested in R.R. wheat. The primary reason for this is
because we have sufficient in crop pesticides to handle the weed

spectrum
in
a wheat crop. That, and having some great Red Spring Wheat varieties

has
put
the kaybosh to this technology before it has gotten off of the ground.

Dean

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
GM wheat in Canada not an option, says Canadian Wheat Board

--------------

WINNIPEG - Adrian Measner, president and chief executive of the
Canadian Wheat Board, was cited as telling Reuters yesterday that the
group may consider legal action to stop Monsanto Co. from growing
genetically modified wheat in Canada outside limited government-run
trials, adding, "We've given strong assurances to our customers that
we will make sure this situation is resolved in Canada and we intend
to take whatever action necessary to do that."

The story says it is the strongest statement the board has made to
date on how far it will go to prevent GM wheat from being grown in

the
near future in Canada -- and one Mr. Measner plans to repeat to world
wheat traders at an International Grains Council meeting in London
next week.

Mr. Measner was further quoted as saying, "Having it grown in Canada,
it's not an option. The costs are just too horrendous and it needs to
be addressed."

The CWB asked Monsanto to agree by tomorrow to withdraw its
application. It has not yet formally responded, he said.

Monsanto has promised it will not commercialize the wheat until at
least some customers accept it and until it can be dealt with
separately within the bulk grain handling system.

Old 29-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Torsten Brinch

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:50:05 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

It doesn't have the quaintly that we like.

Gordon

What, you mean the crop has not been genetically engineered
to be tolerant to Puma, so you don't like that herbicide?

.. .

Old 29-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Jim Webster

wrote:

It doesn't have the quaintly that we like.

Gordon

What, you mean the crop has not been genetically engineered
to be tolerant to Puma, so you don't like that herbicide?

I cannot believe torsten doesn't understand the concept of grain quality

Jim Webster

Old 01-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Gordon Couger

Puma doesn't produce the milling qualities, protein and color that are
expected of wheat from our area. We had some wheat test 15% protein this
year.

The area raises some of the best hard red winter wheat in the world and we
don't bring in varieties that don't measure up. The merchants simply won't
buy it. You have to take it to the feed lot or dairy and take what they will
give you for it. Some people raise soft wheat for pasture and feed but not
many. Wheat makes poor feed for cattle and we don't have any chicken or hog
operations around.

Since you raise wheat I thought you would have some idea what I meant by
quality.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:47:35 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

Puma doesn't produce the milling qualities, protein and color that are
expected of wheat from our area. We had some wheat test 15% protein this
year.

Bwahahaha

Puma is a herbicide, you dumb, dumb American.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:51:23 GMT, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

(Jim Webster) writes:

What, you mean the crop has not been genetically engineered
to be tolerant to Puma, so you don't like that herbicide?

I cannot believe torsten doesn't understand the concept of grain quality

He understands quite well. He would just rather eat grains that have
been treated with paraquat and Hoelon than Roundup.

Bwahahahaha. A dumb American who thinks grains are 'treated' with
herbicide.

He also feels that
progressive applications of herbicides during the growing season add a
piquant flavor to his bread. It's a gourmet thing.

ROFL. He bloody also thinks there is herbicide in bread so one can
taste it.

Old 02-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Jim Webster

wrote:

(Jim Webster) writes:

What, you mean the crop has not been genetically engineered
to be tolerant to Puma, so you don't like that herbicide?

I cannot believe torsten doesn't understand the concept of grain

quality

He understands quite well. He would just rather eat grains that have
been treated with paraquat and Hoelon than Roundup.

Bwahahahaha. A dumb American who thinks grains are 'treated' with
herbicide.

at least he has realised that sci.agriculture isn't an iraqi newsgroup

Jim Webster

Old 02-07-2003, 09:20 AM

Jim Webster wrote:
Bwahahahaha. A dumb American who thinks grains are 'treated' with
herbicide.

at least he has realised that sci.agriculture isn't an iraqi newsgroup

Jim Webster

Did Jim put his foot in his big mouth again?

________
http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_ag/ content/pub/fmnews/pdf/1903.pdf
Recently we have been answering many questions
about Roundup UltraMAX® for preharvest applications in wheat.
This is no surprise given the patches of healthy, green weeds
surrounded by brown wheat. Cutting green plant material with
the combine is not only difficult and time consuming, but
could potentially result in dockage at the elevator.
Dry conditions in many parts of the state have resulted in
a short wheat crop with an open canopy. Without vigorous
competition from the crop, weeds may begin to occupy fields.
Preharvest or postharvest glyphosate applications make sense
for some growers as either a harvest aid or to help setup their
fields for the 2003 season. The key advantages of preharvest
treatments include a faster, earlier harvest with weeds killed
earlier and less weed seed production. A cost-saving alternative
to Roundup UltraMAX is RT Master, a premix of glyphosate
and 2,4-D labeled for control of annual and
perennial weeds throughout North and South
Dakota.
For preharvest application, apply RT Master
after the hard dough stage of grain fill. This is the
point of development when the crop is considered
to be physiologically mature. Flow of nutrients to
the grain has stopped. The kernels have no green
color left and are firm enough so that the contents
cannot be squeezed out. Grain moisture will be
approximately 30%. Up to one quart of RT
Master per acre can be applied prior to harvest.
(Continued on back)

Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 AM

wrote:

(Jim Webster) writes:

What, you mean the crop has not been genetically engineered
to be tolerant to Puma, so you don't like that herbicide?

I cannot believe torsten doesn't understand the concept of grain quality

He understands quite well. He would just rather eat grains that have
been treated with paraquat and Hoelon than Roundup.

Bwahahahaha. A dumb American who thinks grains are 'treated' with
herbicide.

He also feels that
progressive applications of herbicides during the growing season add a
piquant flavor to his bread. It's a gourmet thing.

ROFL. He bloody also thinks there is herbicide in bread so one can
taste it.

not only with herbicides preharvest but also with insecticides and rodenticides
post harvest.
www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/99-126.pdf
Agricultural workers are poisoned regularly handling grains.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Jim Webster

wrote in message
Jim Webster wrote:
Bwahahahaha. A dumb American who thinks grains are 'treated' with
herbicide.

at least he has realised that sci.agriculture isn't an iraqi newsgroup

Jim Webster

Did Jim put his foot in his big mouth again?

I'm not the one who has posted 11 messages on iraq to 3 on GM

Jim Webster

Old 02-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Torsten Brinch

wrote:
(Jim Webster) writes:
I cannot believe torsten doesn't understand the concept of grain quality

He understands quite well. He would just rather eat grains that have
been treated with paraquat and Hoelon than Roundup.

Bwahahahaha. A dumb American who thinks grains are 'treated' with
herbicide.

He also feels that
progressive applications of herbicides during the growing season add a
piquant flavor to his bread. It's a gourmet thing.

ROFL. He bloody also thinks there is herbicide in bread so one can
taste it.

not only with herbicides preharvest but also with insecticides and rodenticides
post harvest.
www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/99-126.pdf
Agricultural workers are poisoned regularly handling grains.

Surely, Cor, there are preharvest applications for herbicides in
grain-fields, and surely grains for food may be postharvest treated
with insecticides for storage. But interesting topics as they are,
isn't that a digression in the present context, seeing we were coming
from control of wild oats with herbicides?

As we saw earlier, Gordon Couger has apparently fallen so much in love
with RR wheat that he has lost sight of knowledge that chemical
control of wild oats in the crop is already possible e.g. with Puma
herbicide, before any intervention of RR wheat.

And here, Larry Caldwell appears to have fallen in love with RR wheat
so much that he'd like to suggest there are significant gains in the
safety of eating and perceptible changes in the flavor of bread by
using roundup in RR wheat vs using weed control in wheat as it is done
currently.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:07 PM
David Kendra

wrote:

Puma doesn't produce the milling qualities, protein and color that are
expected of wheat from our area. We had some wheat test 15% protein this
year.

Bwahahaha

Puma is a herbicide, you dumb, dumb American.

Torsten,

You are starting to sound like a spoiled child who isn't getting his way and
who resorts to name calling and pouting when no one listens to him/her -
kind of like Chive in the sci.environment newsgroup. I am sad to see you
resort to such actions. In the past I always enjoyed reading your posts
even though I didn't necessarily agree with all of your comments. Why are
you so upset as of late?

I would appreciate your opinion as to why Puma is a better "wheat" herbicide
than Roundup. Thanks.

Dave

Old 02-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Torsten Brinch

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:04:13 GMT, "David Kendra"
wrote:

I would appreciate your opinion as to why Puma is a better "wheat" herbicide
than Roundup. Thanks.

Huh? If you want a herbicide to kill wheat, Roundup would be the
better of the two. Roundup just ****ing kills wheat, while Puma is
well tolerated up to a point.

Do you use hard or soft wheat for growing wheat grass for juice? James Edible Gardening 1 23-07-2006 05:56 PM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
German GM wheat trials approved but site sabotaged Torsten Brinch sci.agriculture 69 02-05-2003 05:20 PM
EU sees marked decrease in GM crop field trials Torsten Brinch sci.agriculture 0 19-04-2003 11:20 PM
Sweet Pea Trials+Gardeners World janet.bennett United Kingdom 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM