Old 25-08-2005, 07:37 PM
John

Default another odd plant, need help identifying

Hello group..
We have had these "odd looking" mimosa looking things which grow REALLY fast
along the road out near my house..They grow from a cluster of branches
usually, like a chinaberry or a myrtle. They have leaves sorta like a
mimosa but larger. They are covered with actually very pretty yellow
flowers which hang like lanterns but get absolutely covered with bean pods,
flat ones which look like snow pea pods. They seem to have been brought in
when my developement was graded as they don't appear in the natural forest
areas but only along the road..I am sure it's probably a super invasive sort
of thing, but anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
John

Old 26-08-2005, 01:53 PM
John

"ie" wrote in message
.. .
acacia?

Don't think so, I did a web search on that and it doesn't appear it grows
like a mimosa and has different flowers..
This has frond like ( I guess that is how to describe it) leaves like a
mimosa, but the leaves are larger than what you see on a pink fluff
mimosa..They have a bright green woody stalk, and the leaves are also on the
lighter side of green. The yellow flower clusters are bout 3" long and hang
down like lanterns..It's actually not a bad looking plant but by the way it
comes up and how fast it grows I can see it can probably get out of hand
pretty fast..

John

Old 26-08-2005, 04:08 PM
John

"Cindy" wrote in message
t...

Cassia alata?

I wish!
Looked that one up, that's really beautiful. This thing isn't near that
pretty, and it's blossoms hang down and the Cassia are upwards...
Maybe I can get a picture and post it....

John

Old 31-08-2005, 02:19 AM
James Lee Johnson

John,

It sounds to me like you are describing Mexican Paloverde:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...iaaculeata.htm

Mexican Paloverde is not a particularly invasive plant, except in disturbed
soils and in Australia. In Central Texas it is sometimes helpful in
stabilizing hillsides and helping fight erosion. Paloverde can be a good
landscape plant, but they do have thorns.

jjhnsn

Old 31-08-2005, 01:40 PM
John

"James Lee Johnson" wrote in message
ink.net...
John,

It sounds to me like you are describing Mexican Paloverde:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...iaaculeata.htm

Mexican Paloverde is not a particularly invasive plant, except in
disturbed soils and in Australia. In Central Texas it is sometimes
helpful in stabilizing hillsides and helping fight erosion. Paloverde can
be a good landscape plant, but they do have thorns.

jjhnsn

Hi James.
That's not it but thanks! I have seen this plant you sent the link to a lot
and really like them, and now glad to know what they are.
On our drive back and forth to work we drive 969 almost all the way into
Bastrop and there is much
of this out there and it's really pretty..Had never gotten close enough to
one to see what the foliage looked like..
The thing I have has much larger "fronds" or leaves..The leaves are
clustered very much like a mimosa but the individual leaves are much
larger.I need to post a picture of it just have not had time to do it..It's
an interesting plant but judging how it's popping up it may get away from
you pretty quick..Now, the blossoms do look very similar to the Paloverde,
and then it makes bright green seed pods..Another strange oddity, it seems
to have more than one crop of pods and has TONS of them..I need to get a
closer look to see if it harbors thorns..I will try to get a pic soon and
put it on a server and post the link here...

Thanks!
John