Old 28-02-2006, 01:51 AM posted to austin.gardening
harriswest

Default Winter Rye Grass

Latosha Washington wrote:

I don't know why people do this rye thing. I hate it and am always digging
up clumps that spread in from neighbors yards.

That would be me, Latosha. I'm putting in an outdoor kitchen and spread
rye because the backyard was becoming a sea of mud and a relatively
cheap option. OTOH I didn't want to put in *real* grass because I'll be
tilling it under when the real plants go in.

Count your blessings. My neighbors (on all sides) put down trash, and
I'm always picking up clumps that spread in from neighbors yards.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX
Old 01-03-2006, 11:19 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"harriswest" wrote in message
Latosha Washington wrote:

I don't know why people do this rye thing. I hate it and am always
digging
up clumps that spread in from neighbors yards.

That would be me, Latosha. I'm putting in an outdoor kitchen and spread
rye because the backyard was becoming a sea of mud and a relatively
cheap option.

Mike Harris
Austin, TX

I've been growing winter rye, too, Latosha and Mike, but I'm willing to
consider something else. I've recently read out about Austrian winter peas.
They look like an interesting winter cover crop for this area, but I know
nothing about them. Anyone here have any experience with them?

David in San Antonio