Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Gene S

Default Inexpensive vegetable seed source?

Where is a good place to buy garden vegetable seed packets
in the north Austin area? (Watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, etc...)
Like the $.10 & .25 packets I saw last year:-)

Thanks,
Gene

--
E-mail:

Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Gene S

Additionally, where is a good place to buy bulk
vegetable seeds in the NW Austin area?

Thanks,
Gene

--
E-mail:

Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Steve Wertz

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 05:45:59 -0600, "Gene S"
wrote:

Where is a good place to buy garden vegetable seed packets
in the north Austin area? (Watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, etc...)
Like the $.10 & .25 packets I saw last year:-)

Just to nitpick - those are fruits ;-)

-sw

Old 03-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Steve Wertz

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:12:56 -0600, "Gene S"
wrote:

LOL - I'll concede watermelon & cantaloupe, but hold
out on the cucumber, still think it's a veggie :-)

Nah, it's a fruit. Think of it as a thin skinned melon. The
dictionay refers to it as fruit, but it's unclear whether is used as
in, i.e. "The fruit of my loins".

It sees like it would be closely related to a melon, to me.

-sw

Old 03-04-2003, 06:21 PM
SlinkyToy

I've been 10-cent Burpee seed packets at Walmart, and IIRC also 25-cent
packets. Bought a bunch, as a matter of fact. Expect low seed counts,
however.

Old 03-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Gene S

Thanks.
Yeah, I went to WallyMart first, as I had seen them
there earlier. Unfortunately, the two stores I went
to only had the $1 stuff. I think I'll just go to some
feed stores & try & find some cheap bulk stuff...

Gene

--
E-mail:

Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Karen

"Gene S" wrote in
:

Thanks.
Yeah, I went to WallyMart first, as I had seen them
there earlier. Unfortunately, the two stores I went
to only had the $1 stuff. I think I'll just go to some
feed stores & try & find some cheap bulk stuff...

Big Lots (formerly MacFrugal) has cheap seed packets.

Karen
Old 03-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Wayfarer

The closest one of those I know of in the Northwest Austin area is at 183 &
McNeil in the shopping center on the Southwest corner -- impossible not to
see from 183 heading South.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

Old 03-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Mapanari

"Gene S" babbled and bored us in
:

"Gene S" wrote in message
Where is a good place to buy garden vegetable seed packets
in the north Austin area? (Watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, etc...)
Like the $.10 & .25 packets I saw last year:-)

Thanks,
Gene

--
E-mail:

Or you could do what I do and practice practical gardening genetics....in the
past I have gone to the market and picked only the best, biggest and tastyest
green peppers, tomatoes, and such and then started the seeds myself.

Especially helps if you get Grown In Texas produce as they have been already
genetically modified to grow here.

They grow inches a day if you have everything just right and if you do it now
they'll be strong and big enough to plant next month.

hth

mapi

The more is given, the less the people will work for themselves and the
less they work, the more their poverty will increase.--Leo Tolstoy

Old 03-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Mapanari

Karen babbled and bored us in
.158:

"Gene S" wrote in
:

Thanks.
Yeah, I went to WallyMart first, as I had seen them
there earlier. Unfortunately, the two stores I went
to only had the $1 stuff. I think I'll just go to some
feed stores & try & find some cheap bulk stuff...

Big Lots (formerly MacFrugal) has cheap seed packets.

Karen

Yah, and did you know there is one on 183 North near Spicewood springs road
on the southern side????

Old 04-04-2003, 06:20 PM
SMoo

You can buy packets of maroon carrot seeds from the Texas A&M website..

Maroon bluebonnetts too..

Old 04-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Crickets! wrote:
Anything that has a seed in it is defined as a fruit...me thinks. Cucumber
is a fruit.

According to Webster's:
Fruit
n. pl. fruit or fruits
The ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant, together with accessory parts, containing the seeds and occurring in a wide variety of forms.
The ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant, together with accessory
parts, containing the seeds and ocurring in a wide variety of forms
An edible, usually sweet and fleshy form of such a structure

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv