Old 05-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Gene S

Default Inexpensive vegetable seed source?

BTW, I found the $.10 & $.25 seeds at WallyMart in Killeen.
They were "way" back in the rear, not close to the $1.00
stuff in the traffic pattern :-)

Thanks to all.
Gene

--
E-mail:

"Gene S" wrote in message
Where is a good place to buy garden vegetable seed packets
in the north Austin area? (Watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, etc...)
Like the $.10 & .25 packets I saw last year:-)

Thanks,
Gene

--
E-mail:

Old 05-04-2003, 07:20 PM

In austin.forsale Gene S wrote:
BTW, I found the $.10 & $.25 seeds at WallyMart in Killeen.
They were "way" back in the rear, not close to the $1.00
stuff in the traffic pattern :-)

I found 10 cent ones at the Dollar Store at Stassney and Manchaca.
There wasn't a huge variety, but I got plenty to learn on.

Thanks to all.

Seconded. I never would have even looked for cheap seeds, having
only ever seen the ones for a dollar of so per packet. My first
garden is going to be a much more meaningful experiment with all
of these seeds.

Jen
Old 05-04-2003, 10:20 PM

In austin.forsale Crickets! wrote:
Anything that has a seed in it is defined as a fruit...me thinks. Cucumber
is a fruit.

Doubt it! peas, corn, jalapeno, green beans, and any legume would be fruit,
and bananas would not be.

--
Michael P. Brininstool
The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think
Old 05-04-2003, 10:20 PM

In austin.forsale Victor M. Martinez wrote:
Crickets! wrote:
Anything that has a seed in it is defined as a fruit...me thinks. Cucumber
is a fruit.

According to Webster's:
Fruit
n. pl. fruit or fruits
The ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant, .....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Vital part you left out.

--
Michael P. Brininstool
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me,
Old 05-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Mapanari

babbled and bored us in
:

Subject: Inexpensive vegetable seed source?
Newsgroups: austin.gardening,austin.forsale

Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 21:13:13 GMT

Crickets! wrote:
Anything that has a seed in it is defined as a fruit...me thinks.
Cucumber is a fruit.

According to Webster's:
Fruit
n. pl. fruit or fruits
The ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant, .....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Vital part you left out.

Given a million years of evolution, I could safely say, "suck my dick" or
"eat me" and I'd be right.

mapi

--
--mapi--
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americans... The one

Old 05-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Victor M. Martinez

wrote:
Doubt it! peas, corn, jalapeno, green beans, and any legume would be fruit,
and bananas would not be.

I'm pretty sure bananas have seeds in them.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 06-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Steve Wertz wrote:
Bananas are a herb. They are the product of dormat/aborted ovaries.

Huh?

You don't garden much, do you? You're batting 0-2.

Steve, you should quit while you're ahead. Folks in this group don't know
you're a moron yet.

Old 06-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Terry Horton

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:09:47 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 02:21:55 GMT, (Terry
Horton) wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 19:58:59 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:36:57 +0000 (UTC),
(Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

wrote:
Doubt it! peas, corn, jalapeno, green beans, and any legume would be fruit,
and bananas would not be.

I'm pretty sure bananas have seeds in them.

Bananas are a herb. They are the product of dormat/aborted ovaries.
You don't garden much, do you? You're batting 0-2.

Botanically bananas are fruits, as are seedless watermelons and navel
oranges. Lawyers and grocers may argue otherwise.

Seedless watermelons are a freak of nature, sythentically derrived.

A "freak" of horticulture, as are cultivated bananas (wild bananas do
produce seeds).

Would you call seedless oranges, seedless watermelons 'herbs'? But
they're transmuted into fruit if a seed forms?

Naval oranges - hmmm. Didn't they invent them on Treasure Island?
I guess that would make them a non-fruit according to Vic's
definition.

Seedless (parthenocarpic) fruit exist in the wild too, functioning as
predator "candy", low energy offerings sacrificed to protect the high
energy seeded fruit. Some wild plants produce only a small proportion
of fruit with viable seed.

Either way, the banana tree is considered a herb

Well, a banana tree is an herb in the sense that it's non-woody
(technically bananas aren't even trees - the "trunks" are actually
overlapping leaf petioles). But both herbaceous and woody flowering
plants produce fruit.

and the fruits from such tree would be a seed of a herb, much like
corriander or anise. Think cashews, or even a cilantro plant bearing
corrinder seeds.

You've lost me rather entirely here. Cashews, anise, coriander seeds,
are all fruit.

I do stand by the fact that bananas do not have seeds, and that
bananas defy any fruitolgy.

Whatever floats your (banana) boat.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Steve Wertz wrote:
Seedless watermelons are a freak of nature, sythentically derrived.

Syntetically derived? Really? Grown in a lab? Or perhaps you men selective
breeding?

I guess that would make them a non-fruit according to Vic's
definition.

Please don't call me Vic. You can call me Victor or Dr. Martinez, your choice.

Either way, the banana tree is considered a herb, and the fruits from
such tree would be a seed of a herb, much like corriander or anise.

No, the banana is a berry. Do your research.

I do stand by the fact that bananas do not have seeds, and that
bananas defy any fruitolgy.

They have seeds, sterile seeds but seeds nevertheless. Next time you eat one,
look at the core. See those brown spots? Seeds.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Mapanari

Steve Wertz babbled and bored us in
:

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 00:18:46 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 03:47:40 +0000 (UTC), (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

Steve Wertz wrote:
Bananas are a herb. They are the product of dormat/aborted ovaries.

Huh?

You don't garden much, do you? You're batting 0-2.

Steve, you should quit while you're ahead. Folks in this group don't know
you're a moron yet.

sigh Speaking of bananas, where are yours?

OK, Vic - what *are* bananas?

OK, so maybe they are fruits. Buy the plant is technically a herb.

http://comevisit.com/chuckali/banana.htm

-sw

"Herb" is not a technical plant kinddom term you putz.

According to your uneducated ideas a tomato therefor is a herb, becuase it
belongs to the deadly Belladona family, of which are many medicinal uses.

mapi