Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
will

Default Tree ID please.....

Around town today I have seen several trees with magnificent lavender
flowers on them.

They aren't big flowers, but rather small "clyindrical shaped" flowers.
I am not sure whether or not they will open up more, but they were
amazing compared to all of the dull boring colors everywhere else in
austin.

Does anybody know what I am talking about?

I asked 2 people who had them in their yards what kinda trees they
were.....they didn't have a clue. I don't really think that they put
them there. They probably were there when they moved in.

Ok.

Appreciate any help.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
~nana~

Hi---Our Texas Mountain Laurel isn't blooming yet in north Austin but
the buds are getting bigger.
Here's a search result...
http://www.hiddenvegas.com/arboretum...undiflora.html
~~Anita

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
will

Well.

Neither one of the pictures were big enough for me to really tell, but I
think that it was a redbud that I was talking about.

It was at least a good 20 25 ft the big one that I saw, so I think that
would rule out the other one. I am sorry if my vocabulary has
disappeared......i just woke up.

Thanks for your help.

=will=

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Victor M. Martinez

will wrote:
Maybe it wasn't a redbud tree. All of the pictures of the redbuds that I
could find were exactly like they sounded (red).

Redbuds are not red. They have lavender colored to purple flowers.

I took a second look at the tree's, (I wish that I had a darned digital
camera) and they are way more of a light purple color then red.

Redbuds.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Texensis

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
| will wrote:
| Maybe it wasn't a redbud tree. All of the pictures of the redbuds
that I
| could find were exactly like they sounded (red).
|
| Redbuds are not red. They have lavender colored to purple flowers.
|
| I took a second look at the tree's, (I wish that I had a darned
digital
| camera) and they are way more of a light purple color then red.
|
| Redbuds.

redbuds, for sure

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts

No...they're not redbuds. I know exactly what you're talking about, cause
I've seen them too. They're gorgeous, but I've never found anybody who
knows what they are. They are most definitely NOT redbuds, tho.

--
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts
http://www.tudortarts.com/

"Texensis" wrote in message

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
| will wrote:
| Maybe it wasn't a redbud tree. All of the pictures of the redbuds
that I
| could find were exactly like they sounded (red).
|
| Redbuds are not red. They have lavender colored to purple flowers.
|
| I took a second look at the tree's, (I wish that I had a darned
digital
| camera) and they are way more of a light purple color then red.
|
| Redbuds.

redbuds, for sure

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts

HA! I found it! It's called a Paulownia tomentosa

http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources...tml/pato1.html

http://www.paulownia.com/index.html

http://www.bonsaibc.ca/peninsula/Pau...omentosa_2.jpg

http://www.bonsaibc.ca/peninsula/Pau...omentosa_1.JPG

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

Redbud trees have a deep lavender to fuschia color to the flowers...maybe even
the color "orchid" comes to mind. Maybe what you are seeing are flowering
quince? Can you tell me where this tree is and when I go out today maybe it
will be on my path to where I'm going. I'd love to see it.

Victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
will

The tree I am talking about is on the corner of Scribe and Amherst in
northwest Austin, off of Parmer and Mopac

Another location where I have seen this tree is At Metric and
Wellsbranch.

It's where metric ends and meets wells branch. There is an Apartment
complex with a medium sized "mystery tree" there. You have to get on to
metric to actually see it though......

Did you want those mina lobata seeds by the way?

=will=

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Joe Doe

In article , "Elizabeth of the Tudor
Tarts" wrote:

HA! I found it! It's called a Paulownia tomentosa

http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources...tml/pato1.html

This link of yours says it flowers in April to May.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM

Tarts" wrote:

HA! I found it! It's called a Paulownia tomentosa

http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources...tml/pato1.html

This link of yours says it flowers in April to May.

If you look at the URL, that would be in Arkansas - it flowers earlier here.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:49:15 -0600 (CST), (will) wrote:

Did you want those mina lobata seeds by the way?

=will=

Oh I would love that. I'll go email the address now.

Thanks so much.

Victoria
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

Paulownia does not flower without foliage on the tree. I have one and it is
nowhere near foliage stage! It must be something else.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

Tarts" wrote:

HA! I found it! It's called a Paulownia tomentosa

http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources...tml/pato1.html

This link of yours says it flowers in April to May.

If you look at the URL, that would be in Arkansas - it flowers earlier here.

Mine flowers in late April through end of June.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Babberney

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:25:36 -0600 (CST), (will)
wrote:

Around town today I have seen several trees with magnificent lavender
flowers on them.

They aren't big flowers, but rather small "clyindrical shaped" flowers.
I am not sure whether or not they will open up more, but they were
amazing compared to all of the dull boring colors everywhere else in
austin.

Does anybody know what I am talking about?

I asked 2 people who had them in their yards what kinda trees they
were.....they didn't have a clue. I don't really think that they put
them there. They probably were there when they moved in.

Ok.

Appreciate any help.

How big are these flowers? One tree I see blooming now looks a lot
like this:
http://www.nmessences.com/healing/ma...h_house_h.html

I heard John Aielli refer to it as a "tulip tree" although if you
search for that you will find a very different tree than the one I'm
thinking of. I don't know the species of magnolia pictured in the
link, but I'm fairly certain the tree I've seen is some magnolia.

Another possibilty is a flowering peach or plum. It's a little early,
but I have seen some in bloom already (hope they don't suffer from
last night's freeze too much). A couple of Mexican plums on Shoal
Creek north of Anderson bloomed and leafed out already. Their blooms
were white, but I have seen pink/fuscia blooms on fruit trees also.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html