Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
jojo

Default Cranes?

Hey guys, there's a large group of birds heading north --- I think they
are cranes of some sort? They are over Mansfield Dam about now --- it's
1:30 pm. Unbelievable.

jojo
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
dt

"jojo" wrote in message
Hey guys, there's a large group of birds heading north --- I think they
are cranes of some sort? They are over Mansfield Dam about now --- it's
1:30 pm. Unbelievable.

Probably sandhills. I saw a flock go over out past Webberville about two
weeks ago.

Dale

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
jojo

In article ,
"dt" wrote:

"jojo" wrote in message
Hey guys, there's a large group of birds heading north --- I think they
are cranes of some sort? They are over Mansfield Dam about now --- it's
1:30 pm. Unbelievable.

Probably sandhills. I saw a flock go over out past Webberville about two
weeks ago.

Dale

Yeah, that was my guess. I google'd some sites and they described
perfectly the sounds they were making. I'd never heard that before.
Very cool.

Regards,

jojo
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

Both Sandhill cranes and brown pelicans are migrating north right now. What's
amazing is that they pass over my house daily at about 2pm. I hear their honking and
there they are. They are about half mile up. I tell them apart by their flight
pattern. Brown pelicans will swirl around in large circles together as they sweep up
north. Cranes fly in V formation, but in lines, not in swirls like the pelicans.
They sound similar.

victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:42:09 -0600, jojo wrote:

Yeah, that was my guess. I google'd some sites and they described
perfectly the sounds they were making. I'd never heard that before.
Very cool.

Regards,

jojo

I was sitting at a traffic light today. Right outside my window was a huge stand of
bluebonnets, full to the brim with flowers and flying insects. The air smelled
alive. The bees were buzzing. A whole universe of things happen as we rush around.
I'm so glad I take time to be aware.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
jojo

In article ,
animaux wrote:

Both Sandhill cranes and brown pelicans are migrating north right now.
What's
amazing is that they pass over my house daily at about 2pm. I hear their
honking and
there they are. They are about half mile up. I tell them apart by their
flight
pattern. Brown pelicans will swirl around in large circles together as they
sweep up
north. Cranes fly in V formation, but in lines, not in swirls like the
pelicans.
They sound similar.

victoria

Thanks for the info. It is truly a magical time of year for naturalists.

Regards,

jojo