Old 11-05-2005, 04:53 AM
kathy

Default Cranes (the bird kind) and pond fish

Otto Pylot wrote I
really hate to cover the pond with netting

A couple of options to try
beyond netting:

There is this over the water electric fence called
the Pond Guardian Electric Fence. I have yet to
run into anyone who has used it but have noticed
it in magazines and on the web for about a year
now.

There is also the FiShock electric dog fencing.

Or the Scarecrow, motion activated sprinkler.
I've talked to the manufacturer and they recommend
two placed at a 75 degree angle to each other for
real persistant birds

What works for you depends on how your pond is set up
and how it lays in your yard.

You can go to www.froogle.com and get an idea of the
cost.

good luck!!

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ raccoons

Old 11-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Chet

Otto Pylot wrote:
Our pond is coming up on it's 1-year anniversary. It has cetainly been
an education with algae, fish, plants, etc. Everything is looking
really good except for our new-found bird friends. We have Shubunkin
gold fish and mosquito fish in our pond. All is doing extremely well
with the exception of the periodic missing Shubunkin. We have a crane
that seems to appear after a rainy period and stand next to the pond.
We of course scare it off. However, we seem to have lost about 4
goldfish over the course of our first 10 months. The likely
perpertrator is the crane. Any ideas on what to do with the crane? I
really hate to cover the pond with netting or whatever but we need to
discourage the crane from using our pond as the occassional Sushimi
stop-over. Thanks.

You might type the words 'heron + goldfish' into google or another
search engine and get a feeling of what you're up against. Makes for
interesting reading.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Chet

Otto Pylot wrote:
Our pond is coming up on it's 1-year anniversary. It has cetainly been
an education with algae, fish, plants, etc. Everything is looking
really good except for our new-found bird friends. We have Shubunkin
gold fish and mosquito fish in our pond. All is doing extremely well
with the exception of the periodic missing Shubunkin. We have a crane
that seems to appear after a rainy period and stand next to the pond.
We of course scare it off. However, we seem to have lost about 4
goldfish over the course of our first 10 months. The likely
perpertrator is the crane. Any ideas on what to do with the crane? I
really hate to cover the pond with netting or whatever but we need to
discourage the crane from using our pond as the occassional Sushimi
stop-over. Thanks.

Otto,
You might type the words 'heron + goldfish' into Google or another
search engine to get a sense of what you may be dealing with - makes for
interesting reading.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:57 AM
Chet

Otto Pylot wrote:
[...]

Lawn Ornaments/Cranes, Herons Broomhilda Ponds 21 17-04-2004 08:11 PM
Lawn Ornaments/Cranes, Herons Barbara2245 Ponds 6 15-01-2004 03:22 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Cranes? jojo Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Cranes? jojo Texas 5 19-03-2003 03:58 PM