Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Backyard mushrooms?

I've had large patches of these come up in the same spot a few times per
year after heavy rains for the past 3 or 4 years now. They appear to be
growing from underground rotting post oak wood. I feel a bit guilty as
the stump was finally well rotted enough, we were able to dig most of it
out. We got tired of tripping over it. G

As a result, this teensy little patch was all that came up this time
instead of the usual spread of several clusters over about a 2 ft.
square area. sigh I think they are cute so am considering burying a
few older fallen oak branches in the same area to "feed" them...

Anyway, I tried keying them out last year using my Audubon guide and I
think they keyed out as an edible but I don't remember what I think they
were, and I'm not experienced enough to take chances. I'm understandably
cautious about wild mushrooms unless it's something distinctive enough
for me to recognize like Morels, lions manes or shaggy caps, or even
giant puffballs.

Anyone know what these might be? I live in San Marcos:

http://tinypic.com/xm66mu.jpg
http://tinypic.com/xm67n4.jpg
http://tinypic.com/xm6895.jpg

I tool these pics early yesterday morning and the mushrooms were pretty
well dead and disintigrating already this morning. The spores I got from
the one I picked appeared to be a very dark gray, almost but not quite
black.

TIA!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 10-05-2006, 01:23 AM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
[...]

Nice pics but what was the scale units - centimeters, inches, or feet? g

I think I had some of those one rainy spring pop up where there was a
bunch of shredded tree mulch.

;-)
Old 10-05-2006, 03:29 AM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
[...]

It's an "inch" ruler on that side. G
So, those are just under 5" at maturity.

I think I had some of those one rainy spring pop up where there was a
bunch of shredded tree mulch.

;-)

I agree with the other two posters that it's a Coprinus sp., but which
one? I'll be doing more googling when I get a chance now that I have a
better place to start. They sure were all "melted" this morning so fit
the behavior of Inky caps. :-)

Right now I gotta go to work. sigh
--
Peace!