Old 18-06-2006, 03:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
stuck

Default Asiatic Jasmine

I just planted some Asiatic Jasmine two weeks ago. It is not growing like I
expected it too. It is very slow... I would say it has only grown about 6
inches. I know this is going to sound stupid, but is there something I am
doing wrong?

-Bob
http://www.lakenights.com/

Old 18-06-2006, 04:37 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:42:22 GMT, "stuck" wrote:

I just planted some Asiatic Jasmine two weeks ago. It is not growing like I
expected it too. It is very slow... I would say it has only grown about 6
inches. I know this is going to sound stupid, but is there something I am
doing wrong?

-Bob
http://www.lakenights.com/

Six inches in two weeks isn't fast? Hmmm.
Old 18-06-2006, 04:49 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:42:22 GMT, "stuck" wrote:

I just planted some Asiatic Jasmine two weeks ago. It is not growing like I
expected it too. It is very slow... I would say it has only grown about 6
inches. I know this is going to sound stupid, but is there something I am
doing wrong?

-Bob
http://www.lakenights.com/

Six inches in two weeks isn't fast? Hmmm.

Not for this plant... ;-)

Needs more water probably, and try watering with liquid fertilizer.
Follow the instructions on the container.

Morning glory grows even faster, but it's an annual.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 18-06-2006, 11:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
Doug Lassiter

I just planted some Asiatic Jasmine two weeks ago. It is not growing like I
expected it too. It is very slow... I would say it has only grown about 6
inches. I know this is going to sound stupid, but is there something I am
doing wrong?

Not for this plant... ;-)

That's right. I have half an acre of the stuff under heavily filtered
sunlight (mostly shade really) and under live oaks. It is incredibly
strong. Should probably classify it as aggressively invasive, as it'll
quickly climb over just about anything. I water it once or twice during
the summer, and throw some handfuls af fertilizer on it occasionally
(though it really doesn't need it, and I'm probably just encouraging it
unnecessarily). It's my 18-inch deep ground cover!

Do consider that this is a plant that loves shade. If you have sun
blazing down on it, it may not do as well. Mine tends to avoid sunlit
areas.

Old 19-06-2006, 09:48 AM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Doug Lassiter" wrote:

[...]

Mine doesn't seem to care as long as it gets enough water. ;-)

And yes, it can get to be pretty invasive...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 19-06-2006, 02:07 PM posted to austin.gardening
BJ in Texas

stuck wrote:
|| I just planted some Asiatic Jasmine two weeks ago. It is not
|| growing like I expected it too. It is very slow... I would
|| say it has only grown about 6 inches. I know this is going to
|| sound stupid, but is there something I am doing wrong?
|| -Bob
|| http://www.lakenights.com/

Is there something you are doing wrong? Yes planting
Asiatic Jasmine. Best bet is to pull it all up before it
starts to spread.

BJ
--
"I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's
time for my nap." -- Bob Hope

--
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

Old 19-06-2006, 02:14 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"BJ in Texas" wrote:

stuck wrote:
|| I just planted some Asiatic Jasmine two weeks ago. It is not
|| growing like I expected it too. It is very slow... I would
|| say it has only grown about 6 inches. I know this is going to
|| sound stupid, but is there something I am doing wrong?
|| -Bob
|| http://www.lakenights.com/

Is there something you are doing wrong? Yes planting
Asiatic Jasmine. Best bet is to pull it all up before it
starts to spread.

BJ

snicker

It's not THAT bad as long as it's planted in an appropriate place. ;-)
It can be as difficult to control as, say, Kudzu.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 19-06-2006, 07:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"BJ in Texas" wrote:

stuck wrote:
|| I just planted some Asiatic Jasmine two weeks ago. It is not
|| growing like I expected it too. It is very slow... I would
|| say it has only grown about 6 inches. I know this is going to
|| sound stupid, but is there something I am doing wrong?
|| -Bob
|| http://www.lakenights.com/

Is there something you are doing wrong? Yes planting
Asiatic Jasmine. Best bet is to pull it all up before it
starts to spread.

BJ

snicker

It's not THAT bad as long as it's planted in an appropriate place. ;-)
It can be as difficult to control as, say, Kudzu.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

I have the related confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoidies rather
than asiaticum) growing on my fences. It's evergreen, not as invasive as
most vines, and unlike anything else I've planted doesn't go racing to the
top of the fence leaving gaps down low.

I'll second Om's observation that it does just fine in full sun, if kept
watered.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 20-06-2006, 03:26 AM posted to austin.gardening
Doug Lassiter

I'll second Om's observation that it does just fine in full sun, if kept
watered.

I guess that's consistent with the fact that I hardly ever water mine!

But it really does thrive in the shade. I used to have periwinkles over
half the area, which were OK until fall, when they always declined. I
put some sprigs of Asiatic Jasmine in among them, and three years later
the periwinkles were gone and the jasmine had completely taken over.

Old 20-06-2006, 07:20 PM posted to austin.gardening
BJ in Texas

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
|| In article
|| , "BJ in
|| Texas" wrote:
||| Is there something you are doing wrong? Yes planting
||| Asiatic Jasmine. Best bet is to pull it all up before it
||| starts to spread.
||| BJ
|| snicker
|| It's not THAT bad as long as it's planted in an appropriate
|| place. ;-) It can be as difficult to control as, say, Kudzu.
|| --
|| Peace!
|| Om

My next effort to get rid of a patch of Asiatic Jasmine the
previous owner of my property planted will involve a
flamethrower. :-)

BJ
--
"If you remember the 60's, it is likely you weren't there." --
Old Hippie

--
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

Old 20-06-2006, 07:23 PM posted to austin.gardening
BJ in Texas

Mike Harris wrote:
|| "OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
||| In article
||| , "BJ in
||| snicker
||| It's not THAT bad as long as it's planted in an appropriate
||| place. ;-)
||| It can be as difficult to control as, say, Kudzu.
||| --
||| Peace!
||| Om
||| "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a
||| bitch" -- Jack Nicholson
|| I have the related confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum
|| jasminoidies rather than asiaticum) growing on my fences.
|| It's evergreen, not as invasive as most vines, and unlike
|| anything else I've planted doesn't go racing to the top of
|| the fence leaving gaps down low.
|| I'll second Om's observation that it does just fine in full
|| sun, if kept watered.
|| --
|| Mike Harris
|| Austin, TX

Confederate Jasmine may be related but it is not nearly as
invasive and it also has aromatic flowers in the spring.

BJ
--
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should
relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein

--
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

Old 20-06-2006, 07:26 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"BJ in Texas" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
|| In article
|| , "BJ in
|| Texas" wrote:
||| Is there something you are doing wrong? Yes planting
||| Asiatic Jasmine. Best bet is to pull it all up before it
||| starts to spread.
||| BJ
|| snicker
|| It's not THAT bad as long as it's planted in an appropriate
|| place. ;-) It can be as difficult to control as, say, Kudzu.
|| --
|| Peace!
|| Om

My next effort to get rid of a patch of Asiatic Jasmine the
previous owner of my property planted will involve a
flamethrower. :-)

BJ
--

I doubt that would work. ;-)

Roundup does.......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 21-06-2006, 02:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
BJ in Texas

,
in
appropriate
||| My next effort to get rid of a patch of Asiatic Jasmine the
||| previous owner of my property planted will involve a
||| flamethrower. :-)
||| BJ
||| --
|| I doubt that would work. ;-)
|| Roundup does.......

I've never had much luck with Roundup on Asiatic Jasmine.

"Death is just Mother Nature's way of telling you to Slow Down."

Old 21-06-2006, 02:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

Default was Asiatic Jasmine now Roundup

"BJ in Texas" wrote in message I've never had much
luck with Roundup on Asiatic Jasmine.

From the Scotts Co website:

"Some Roundup products are specially formulated with additional active
ingredients to prevent weeds, kill tough brush, or TO PROVIDE FAST VISIBLE
RESULTS." (emphasis mine.)

The non-name brand formulas actually work better as they don't kill off the
top of the plant before the glyphosate works its way through the plant. New
"fast acting" Roundup is useless against wild currants - only the "old"
formula works.