Old 28-08-2006, 09:13 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Rainwater Collection Tanks

I have purchased a 2500 gallon and a 550 gallon water tank from a friend.
He never did anything with them so I an uncertain about the base.

I read about concrete base but I also read that a sand or pea-gravel base
will work just as well.

Does anyone know someone who is in this business? I believe I would just as
soon contract this out.

thanks
Steven

Old 28-08-2006, 09:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

We have two 2500 tanks (in different locations) on sand.

I got these from local.yahoo.com searching for "rainwater".

Rainwater Collection Over Texas
(512) 353-4949

Rainwater Systems
(512) 442-7841
3203 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 3.11 mi

Old 28-08-2006, 09:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote in message
I have purchased a 2500 gallon and a 550 gallon water tank from a friend.
He never did anything with them so I an uncertain about the base.

I read about concrete base but I also read that a sand or pea-gravel base
will work just as well.

Does anyone know someone who is in this business? I believe I would just
as soon contract this out.

thanks
Steven

http://www.rainwatercollection.com/

I have no personal experience with the man but have a friend near Hamilton
Pool with an installation who speaks very highly of him. His was a semi-DIY
installation wherein he had the tank installed and did all of his own
plumbing according to the specs provided. IIRC his tank sits on a
decomposed granite base.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 29-08-2006, 12:28 AM posted to austin.gardening

Hi,
Thanks for the informaition. It helps.
How deep is the sand.
thanks again,
Steven

Old 29-08-2006, 05:54 AM posted to austin.gardening

http://www.rainwatercollection.com/

This is "Tank Town" in Dripping Springs, a somewhat famous place. They tend
to deal in larger tanks than you have. Usually their tanks are fiberglass,
or built on site.

I'm assuming the water tanks you have are plastic. If "Tank Town" cannot
help, or are too expensive, try calling a place in your area which sells
plastic water tanks in that size range and ask for installer references.

Here are three places just up the road from "Tank Town":

290 Fence & Ranch Supply
2110 W Highway 290
Dripping Springs, TX, 78620
(512) 858-7876

Triple S Feed
2111 W Highway 290, Dripping Springs, TX
(512) 894-0344

Tractor Supply #735
1711B West Hwy 290
Dripping Springs, TX, 78620
(512) 858-7229
www.mytscstore.com

Let us know how the project goes!

j jhnsn

Old 29-08-2006, 06:14 AM posted to austin.gardening

The excellent "Texas Manual on Rainwater Harvesting" is available for
download from the Texas Water Development Board, www.twdb.state.tx.us , for
free.

wrote:
I read about concrete base but I also read that a sand or pea-gravel base
will work just as well.

I think for flexible tanks, like plastic and fiberglass, a sand or gravel
base is preferable to concrete, but I could be mistaken.

Unless persuaded otherwise, I plan to put a water tank on a 4" bed of
decomposed granite, the kind used for jogging paths in Austin. I order
decomposed granite by the dump truck load he

Collier Materials, Inc.
PO Box 86
Marble Falls, Texas 78654,
Phone: (830) 693-2228
Fax: (830) 798-2226
Toll Free: (877) 603-3030
www.colliermaterials.com

Smaller quantities can be purchase at landscape suppliers.

j jhnsn

Rainwater collection advice. Mike United Kingdom 13 07-09-2010 10:22 PM
Rainwater collection plumbing question. Texas 1 11-09-2006 03:47 PM
Rainwater tanks SG1 Australia 0 31-10-2005 09:24 PM
How to collect clean rainwater? Jo United Kingdom 7 04-06-2003 02:20 PM
[IBC] Rainwater (was: [IBC] Too much lime) Jim Lewis Bonsai 5 19-04-2003 03:56 PM