Old 19-10-2006, 01:26 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Baby lemons

My 2 lemon saplings, still growing in a small planters, are 4" tall. Grown
from seed.
When should I bring them in to the house?

--
Jonny

Old 19-10-2006, 02:08 AM posted to austin.gardening

Jonny wrote:
When should I bring them in to the house?

You don't need to bring them in. A protected porch should suffice.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 19-10-2006, 03:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
When should I bring them in to the house?

You don't need to bring them in. A protected porch should suffice.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Porch faces due south, with slight wrap east and west. Baby lemons on east
end handrail for now. West is not an option due to NW winds that frequent
cold fronts in winter. Porch is not/will not ever be "protected".

--
Jonny

Old 19-10-2006, 04:09 AM posted to austin.gardening

Jonny wrote:
cold fronts in winter. Porch is not/will not ever be "protected".

Protected in this case means it does not face north and has some kind of
roof.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 19-10-2006, 05:46 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jonny" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My 2 lemon saplings, still growing in a small planters, are 4" tall.
Grown from seed.
When should I bring them in to the house?

--
Jonny

What kind? Eureka? Lisbon? Meyer?

I have a Meyer lemon tree in the yard, which does just fine in light
freezes. During hard freezes I cover it in plastic and hang an automotive
drop light from one of the lower branches.

A well-watered Meyer lemon in a planter should do fine in light freezes on
your porch. During a hard freeze, or during any freeze for another lemon
variety, you may want to bring them indoors.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Old 19-10-2006, 09:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:26:23 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

My 2 lemon saplings, still growing in a small planters, are 4" tall. Grown
from seed.
When should I bring them in to the house?

I have a variegated Meyer's and it is okay outside all winter as long
as I water it. When we were going to have temps of 35 or lower, I
bring them (I have two in containers, four feet each) into the shed
with no extra heat. When the temps to below freezing I cover them
with light blankets and plastic on top of that. I picked a ton of
lemons this year.

We're putting the greenhouse up this year so I can sell some stock to
the locals in spring. I will try to grow cuttings of my lemons
because it seems they can't get enough to keep in stock. I'm also
growing all types of ornamental grasses and Phormium.
Old 20-10-2006, 11:35 AM posted to austin.gardening

Jonny wrote:
cold fronts in winter. Porch is not/will not ever be "protected".

Protected in this case means it does not face north and has some kind of
roof.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Definitely protected by the definition you provided. Thought you meant
closed-in porch.
--
Jonny

Old 20-10-2006, 11:53 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

My 2 lemon saplings, still growing in a small planters, are 4" tall.
Grown
from seed.
When should I bring them in to the house?

I have a variegated Meyer's and it is okay outside all winter as long
as I water it. When we were going to have temps of 35 or lower, I
bring them (I have two in containers, four feet each) into the shed
with no extra heat. When the temps to below freezing I cover them
with light blankets and plastic on top of that. I picked a ton of
lemons this year.

We're putting the greenhouse up this year so I can sell some stock to
the locals in spring. I will try to grow cuttings of my lemons
because it seems they can't get enough to keep in stock. I'm also
growing all types of ornamental grasses and Phormium.

Candidly, I don't know the type of lemon. Got lemon fruit from my brother.
He lives on the north shore of Canyon Lake area. Lemon trees were there
when he bought the house years ago. Since I knew the fruit was not
irradiated, thought I'd try to grow some myself from its seed.

One is in a planter primarily of mulch content. The other is in a planter
with native and purchased soil mixture. Both have received mild plant food
additive in water from time to time. The one with the mulch seems to lack
any leave failure, the other has a couple bad looking leaves as these are
curled and dry looking. No bugs on either. Had two failures. One in
planter left in direct sun. The other in mulch like the other one on the
porch rail. All received same treatment as others that survived. Was touch
and go the first two months after sprouting for all of them.
--
Jonny

Old 20-10-2006, 02:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:53:35 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

Candidly, I don't know the type of lemon. Got lemon fruit from my brother.
He lives on the north shore of Canyon Lake area. Lemon trees were there
when he bought the house years ago. Since I knew the fruit was not
irradiated, thought I'd try to grow some myself from its seed.

One is in a planter primarily of mulch content. The other is in a planter
with native and purchased soil mixture. Both have received mild plant food
additive in water from time to time. The one with the mulch seems to lack
any leave failure, the other has a couple bad looking leaves as these are
curled and dry looking. No bugs on either. Had two failures. One in
planter left in direct sun. The other in mulch like the other one on the
porch rail. All received same treatment as others that survived. Was touch
and go the first two months after sprouting for all of them.

Growing from seed often never produces a fruit till the tree is ten
years old. I'd say to go and buy a plant which has identification and
which is already has a hardy root system. Easily you can expect fruit
the second year, and maybe even a few the first year. I'll be making
plants by cutting for spring. The one Meyer's I have produces
beautiful, large fruit which is yellow with green stripes and pink
flesh. Must be where we get pink lemonade from. My husband loves
them.
Old 20-10-2006, 02:47 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote:
plants by cutting for spring. The one Meyer's I have produces
beautiful, large fruit which is yellow with green stripes and pink
flesh. Must be where we get pink lemonade from. My husband loves
them.

We have the same variety. The leaves are also variegated, right? I've
used my lemons for salad dressings and sauces for sashimi. It is
wonderful! Next is cosmos and other cocktails.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
Baby Lemons Fall Off [email protected] Gardening 10 28-07-2005 12:08 AM
Lemon seeds to seedlings: seedless lemons? Chris Gardening 4 03-04-2003 05:08 AM
Oranges and Lemons! Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 0 24-02-2003 10:28 PM
Lemons & Oranges from Pips ? [email protected] United Kingdom 17 10-12-2002 05:01 PM