Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default Looking for deer proof ground cover

We want to put a ground cover around a couple large Live Oaks in
our front lawn. Our nursery suggested Vinca-Major and said it was
deer proof. We bought a couple hundred dollars worth and set them
out last October.

As you can guess, the deer have eaten them to the ground. Don't know if
they will come back or not, I rather doubt it.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a good ground cover under Oak
trees, one that the deer won't eat.

I was wondering about Wandering Jew. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks, Bob

Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 PM posted to austin.gardening

Wandering Jew is like salad for the deer in my area (San Antonio) but I am
surprised to hear they ate the Vinca-Major. It is one of the things that is
deer proof here. Even in the middle of the drought this past summer when
they were eating the Esperanza, they never touched the Vinca. I have also
had some luck with Japanese Ardisia once it is up and established. It has a
tendency to be chlorotic but responds to Green Sand and fertilizer. Wedelia
is another one that is deer proof here. Not evergreen, freezes and comes
back. Takes a bit more water than Vinca, and occasionally gets attacked by
white flies but that is easily treated with a systemic spray, if you are
using chemicals. Your Vinca may come back, mine is putting on new growth
now. The only effective deer repellent I have found is the motion activated
sprinklers. Spray Away is the cheapest I have found, on line at Northern
Tools. Might want to try a couple of these until things get up and
established. I am able to grow a small patch of Pansy's with in the area
covered by the sprinkler. Haven't been able to do that for many years
before now.

Good Luck,

Cliff

Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

We want to put a ground cover around a couple large Live Oaks in
our front lawn. Our nursery suggested Vinca-Major and said it was
deer proof. We bought a couple hundred dollars worth and set them
out last October.

As you can guess, the deer have eaten them to the ground. Don't know if
they will come back or not, I rather doubt it.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a good ground cover under Oak
trees, one that the deer won't eat.

I was wondering about Wandering Jew. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks, Bob

Deer graze across the street from my driveway.

My driveway plants (for ground cover) are wandering jew. There is also a
stand of canna lillies, and my herb garden is also in the driveway.
Plants include sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano and dittany.

Dittany and thyme would make excellent ground cover, as would Oregano.

They have never touched my herbs.

HTH?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 AM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do a little research. Bob

Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do a little research. Bob

One more I almost forgot...

An item very commonly used around here for commercial landscaping ground
cover (successfully) is creeping myrtle.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:05 PM posted to austin.gardening

Google is a great thing for your answer. Keep in mind during a
drought deer will eat whatever they can get unless they detect it is
poisonous to them. These are some plants:

Ground Covers
Aarons Beard (Hypericum calycinum)
Asiatic Jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum)2
Carpet Bugle (Aiuga reptans)2 4
Monkey grass (Ophiopogon japonica)2
Myrtle (Vinca major)4
Santolina (Santolina spp.)1 3
Spearmint (Menta spicata)3
Thyme (Thymus spp.)

Here are some websites:

http://www.npsot.org/plant_lists/deer_resistant.html

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/deer.html

Old 05-02-2007, 05:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:22:07 -0600, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do a little research. Bob

One more I almost forgot...

An item very commonly used around here for commercial landscaping ground
cover (successfully) is creeping myrtle.

AKA Vinca Minor. G
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Bob" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do a little research. Bob

One more I almost forgot...

An item very commonly used around here for commercial landscaping ground
cover (successfully) is creeping myrtle.

AKA Vinca Minor. G

Oops. ;-)

I consider myself edumacated....

Thanks.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:58:01 -0600, Omelet wrote:

"Bob" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do a little research. Bob

One more I almost forgot...

An item very commonly used around here for commercial landscaping
ground cover (successfully) is creeping myrtle.

AKA Vinca Minor. G

Oops. ;-)

I consider myself edumacated....

Thanks.

Well, vinca minor might be more 'deer proof' than vinca major, which is
what the OP planted. Though they are obviously related as 'vinca' is the
latinate not the common name.

Drat those common names anyway! (shakes fist in air)
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 AM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Thanks for all the ideas. I did find info' on Wandering Jew, which said
that the leaves are eatable, but rather bland. They are sometimes used for
livestock feed because they are easy and quick to grow, so I doubt if they
would be deer proof. Also, Wandering Jew can't tolerate temp's below 32
degrees, so that pretty well eliminates them for this area.

Yep, deer will eat almost everything at times. We lost part of a Jupon(sp)
Holly because the deer chewed the bark off some low limbs.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

I never mentioned wandering jew. Anyway, I have no idea what that is
because there are at least ten things people call "Wandering Jew." If
you mean the dark purple foliage of Tradescantia pallida, it
definitely behaves like a perennial here in the Austin USDA Zone of
8b. Not deer proof.

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 04:07:21 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

Thanks for all the ideas. I did find info' on Wandering Jew, which said
that the leaves are eatable, but rather bland. They are sometimes used for
livestock feed because they are easy and quick to grow, so I doubt if they
would be deer proof. Also, Wandering Jew can't tolerate temp's below 32
degrees, so that pretty well eliminates them for this area.

Yep, deer will eat almost everything at times. We lost part of a Jupon(sp)
Holly because the deer chewed the bark off some low limbs.

.. .

Old 06-02-2007, 02:23 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

Thanks for all the ideas. I did find info' on Wandering Jew, which said
that the leaves are eatable, but rather bland. They are sometimes used for
livestock feed because they are easy and quick to grow, so I doubt if they
would be deer proof. Also, Wandering Jew can't tolerate temp's below 32
degrees, so that pretty well eliminates them for this area.

Mine freezes and comes back. It's actually very hard to get rid of once
you have it established. ;-)

Plus, you can grow it from cuttings. I cut a bunch from my neighbors
yard as he wanted to get rid of it (and he still hasn't even tho' I
butchered the hell out of it. G) and just tossed the cuttings on the
ground and covered them with some mulch. About 1/2 of them survived and
have started a nice patch.

Yep, deer will eat almost everything at times. We lost part of a Jupon(sp)
Holly because the deer chewed the bark off some low limbs.

Bummer. :-(

You game to try herbs?
I have three patches of thyme and I use a lot of it in cooking. It's an
attractive little plant and lasts thru the winter. So did Italian
Oregano (which tended to spread even more than Lemon Balm) but then it
abruptly died after about 5 or 6 years. Not sure why. The Thyme is fine.

Dittany of Crete is also doing very, very well and I now have two
patches of it going, and spreading happily. Once I get around to
actually landscaping my back yard, I'll probably put in several of those
since they stay low growing and put out some attractive, interesting
lavender blooms in the summer.

Maybe something native to the area even?
Surely there has to be some sort of xeriscape ground cover that the deer
don't wipe out?

There is always English Ivy or shudder Asiatic Jasmine. The star
jasmine is very prolific, at least on my front fence in San Marcos.
I have to prune liberally to keep it under control.

A nice herbal that seems to be pretty tough is spearmint. Will deer eat
that?

Old 06-02-2007, 02:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

I never mentioned wandering jew. Anyway, I have no idea what that is
because there are at least ten things people call "Wandering Jew." If
you mean the dark purple foliage of Tradescantia pallida, it
definitely behaves like a perennial here in the Austin USDA Zone of
8b. Not deer proof.

There are two common types of wandering jew. The large purple leafed
variety and the smaller leafed green and silver. Both are pretty and
hardy... but I doubt they are deer proof.

Granted, the local herd has never touched mine but I guess they are well
fed enough on the lawn across the street. I imagine the two Lab Chows
that bark at them are added discouragement.

I think the greatest deer deterrent is a good dog.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:25:11 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

I never mentioned wandering jew. Anyway, I have no idea what that is
because there are at least ten things people call "Wandering Jew." If
you mean the dark purple foliage of Tradescantia pallida, it
definitely behaves like a perennial here in the Austin USDA Zone of
8b. Not deer proof.

There are two common types of wandering jew. The large purple leafed
variety and the smaller leafed green and silver. Both are pretty and
hardy... but I doubt they are deer proof.

Granted, the local herd has never touched mine but I guess they are well
fed enough on the lawn across the street. I imagine the two Lab Chows
that bark at them are added discouragement.

I think the greatest deer deterrent is a good dog.

Actually, there are many varieties of Tradescantia. I try not to use
common names when making sweeping statements. I can think of at
leasts 10 different common houseplants referred to as Wandering Jew.
Two of them are the ones you mention, but there are many varieties
most of which are not cold hardy.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Bob" wrote in message
We want to put a ground cover around a couple large Live Oaks in
our front lawn. Our nursery suggested Vinca-Major and said it was
deer proof. We bought a couple hundred dollars worth and set them
out last October.

As you can guess, the deer have eaten them to the ground. Don't know if
they will come back or not, I rather doubt it.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a good ground cover under Oak
trees, one that the deer won't eat.

I was wondering about Wandering Jew. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks, Bob

My wife and I have lived in our house in the Great Hills area of Austin for
almost 10 years...we have spent thousands of dollars on plants various
nurseries, landscape designers, horticulturalists, etc have said were "deer
proof." What have I learned over ten years and thousands of dollars? Nothing
attractive is deer proof. Rosemary and really spikey cacti come to mind as
the only plants I've found to be deer *proof.* During dry periods, they even
tear up our grass and eat the moist roots.