Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Dumb question

Speaking of coffee, what about those coffee paper filters. Are they
biodegradable? The #4 cone filters seem to be much thicker, in some cases
visible sewn threads on the seams. The basket type seem much thinner. Want
to just dump contents each day in a container. Bury contents including
filters. Separating the used coffee grinds and filter always results in a
bit of mess. Presently using basket type.

--
Noncompliant

Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

Noncompliant wrote:
Speaking of coffee, what about those coffee paper filters. Are they
biodegradable? The #4 cone filters seem to be much thicker, in some cases

If it's paper it's biodegradable.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 12-02-2007, 01:15 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:22:26 GMT, "Noncompliant"
wrote:

Speaking of coffee, what about those coffee paper filters. Are they
biodegradable? The #4 cone filters seem to be much thicker, in some cases
visible sewn threads on the seams. The basket type seem much thinner. Want
to just dump contents each day in a container. Bury contents including
filters. Separating the used coffee grinds and filter always results in a
bit of mess. Presently using basket type.

You can buy any size cone any size which is made of mesh and is
reuseable over and over again. That's what we do. I believe there
are some biodegradable filters, maybe this info will be on the box.
Old 13-02-2007, 09:03 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Speaking of coffee, what about those coffee paper filters. Are they
biodegradable? The #4 cone filters seem to be much thicker, in some cases
visible sewn threads on the seams. The basket type seem much thinner.
Want
to just dump contents each day in a container. Bury contents including
filters. Separating the used coffee grinds and filter always results in a
bit of mess. Presently using basket type.

You can buy any size cone any size which is made of mesh and is
reuseable over and over again. That's what we do. I believe there
are some biodegradable filters, maybe this info will be on the box.

We use those basket type. Get em at the local Dollar General for a dollar a
bag. No mention of material spec or biodegradability on plastic bag
container.

Coffee makers here last about 2 years before something breaks like the
heating element. My priors were cone, my last and current choice has the
basket type.
--
Noncompliant

Old 13-02-2007, 10:24 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Noncompliant" wrote in message
.net...
Speaking of coffee, what about those coffee paper filters. Are they
biodegradable? The #4 cone filters seem to be much thicker, in some cases
visible sewn threads on the seams. The basket type seem much thinner.

Want
to just dump contents each day in a container. Bury contents including
filters. Separating the used coffee grinds and filter always results in a
bit of mess. Presently using basket type.

make coffee, enjoy coffee (with a cigarette always helps), dispose off
coffee grounds and filter in appropriate receptacle, add coffee and filter
to compost/trench/direct to garden as mulch etc.

rob

Old 13-02-2007, 01:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:10:39 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Noncompliant wrote:
Speaking of coffee, what about those coffee paper filters. Are they
biodegradable? The #4 cone filters seem to be much thicker, in some cases

If it's paper it's biodegradable.

They would, but most of them are not 100% paper and contain something
which has synthetic material for sturdiness. It's best to have a
reuseable filter and keep a small bucket under the sink. When there
are enough grinds, take them out and dig them in where a plant looks
chlorotic as the grinds are nitrogen containing and worms love them,
bringing their amazing ability to loosen soil and leave castings.
Old 13-02-2007, 04:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

If it's paper it's biodegradable.

100% right! Paper is wood-pulp(organic). There is no synthetic
material introduced into the pulp-batch to make it 'sturdy'. Coffee
filters are sturdy because they are thicker....period. Compost them or
dig them into the soil, either way is good.

Dave S(Texas)

Old 14-02-2007, 12:39 AM posted to austin.gardening

They also have chlorine and other
preservative matter

No 'they' do not.....where do you come up with this stuff?? Paper
filters are paper, period!

Old 14-02-2007, 02:31 PM posted to austin.gardening

What pulp from what tree is white? It's
always best to really be sure before
posting idle nonsense.

Idle nonsense...

Let's review, your answers so far have included (2) "They
would(biodegrade), but most of them are not 100% paper and
contain
something which has synthetic material
? for sturdiness."

I attempted to educate you about paper filters by informing that paper
filters are only paper/contain no synthetic materials/are thick for
sturdiness.

(2) "They also have chlorine and other
preservative matter."

Oxygen is used to whiten paper coffee filters. I've been breathing that
for over 60yrs, so I'm pretty certain it is safe. "Preservative
matter"? Exactly what would be the reason to preserve paper coffee
filters?

So: synthetic material/chlorine/preservative matter? All absurd!

Bottom line here is that you are uninformed. Using a 'handle' like you
do, I would think you tended toward being enlightnened, but I guess it's
just a handle...

The 'idle nonsense' lays on your doorstep....

Dave S(Texas)

Old 14-02-2007, 04:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:22:31 GMT, "Justin Wilson" wrote:

I wonder if my shirt contains bleach right now.
I washed once a long time ago with a little bleach. I hope its still not in
the shirt.

All cotton production uses chlorine bleach, it is found in everything
white unless indicated to be certified organic. There are about 4
other pesticides found in all cotton. Your shirt would absolutely
test positive for chlorine bleach. I have no doubt about it. If you
think your sarcasm is needed in a discussion, it may be best to not be
in a discussion. Facts are not theories.

Dumb water oxygen question jammer Ponds 11 24-06-2003 04:44 PM
Dumb question about Amano shrimp E. Mito Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 30-05-2003 02:20 AM
Possibly dumb tomato and pepper question Mark Edible Gardening 2 27-03-2003 02:20 PM
Dumb Question... Natty_Dread Gardening 4 06-03-2003 07:27 PM
Dumb Question... (in this newsgroup? What are the odds?) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 1 06-03-2003 05:27 PM