Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed Redux. Zoysia?

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 01:44:09 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

Great.

Another unknown term I'm going to have to google. G

Education is a good thing...

I just saw a commercial for The Grass Patch www.grasspatch.com and
hydromulch is applied to soil using a giant hose with a pump from a
large truck. It is basically paper pulp and seeds and it prevents
seeds from falling to one area as you water it very often during
germination. It works out very well, but I don't know how Zoysia
would work. If it's a small area, you would be surprised at how much
less sod costs than you think.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Great.

Another unknown term I'm going to have to google. G

Education is a good thing...

I just saw a commercial for The Grass Patch www.grasspatch.com and
hydromulch is applied to soil using a giant hose with a pump from a
large truck. It is basically paper pulp and seeds and it prevents
seeds from falling to one area as you water it very often during
germination. It works out very well, but I don't know how Zoysia
would work. If it's a small area, you would be surprised at how much
less sod costs than you think.

I just wish I could get my hands on a few yards of that stuff the
highway dept. uses. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article , Omelet wrote:
In article . net,
(Scott Harper) wrote:

In article , Jangchub
wrote:
No turfgrass will thrive in shade other than St. Augustine. I have
known people to plant dwarf monkey grass in shade to replace turf, and
it can be mowed, but not sure about the trampling of your beauty dog.

I have zoysia planted in heavy shade under some large oak trees and it
thrives
just fine. It even spreads pretty well. It is the larger bladed version of
zoysia... I think El Toro and Palisades are two of the varieties.

scott

I'll save this, thanks!
I really do need to solve my grass problem and I'll forever regret
planting Bermuda. Ugly damned grass. :-(

It's died out in most areas fortunately.

It was expensive as hell too.

I started as an experiment with plugs under one group of trees. It does take
a while to fill in from plugs, at least a year. But once it filled in, it
started spreading outward and that seems to be moving much faster. I repeated
the experiment under two other groups of trees, and it seems to be about the
same result.

If I ever get serious about a large area, I would probably go with sod --
especially if it is in a shaded area. But I've done a little poking around on
the web and I think you can get it done with hydromulch. That might be a
cheaper alternative in bigger, sunnier areas.

As far as plugs go... you can order them online pretty expensive. I just
called the grass company (Grass Patch?) that used to be on McNeil, then 183,
and now out on the Parmer extension. They had some scrap, and basically gave
me 8 or 10 squares of sod (actually, it was a dollar or two per square), which
I cut into my own plugs with a shovel.

scott

Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM posted to austin.gardening

As for the other part of this thread, I don't have any experience with what
dog traffic will do. But I would be very interested to hear what others have
to say about that. It can't be any worse than the bermuda we have... they
would basically cut a new trail in it every winter, and then it would almost
completely grow back in over the summer.

scott

Dead grass redux [email protected] Lawns 15 18-02-2010 02:52 AM
Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed [email protected] Texas 10 06-06-2006 06:41 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Zoysia Grass Ross Lawns 7 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
Zoysia grass Ablang Gardening 4 24-02-2003 04:15 PM