Old 29-03-2007, 01:47 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default snow is gone in Austin

No population to speak of, no large population creating greenhouse gases, no
large population doing anything; didn't exist. Homo sapiens had no global
effect on the earth at that time. Try again...

Did see how the Sahara was developed by nature, not man, on an TV
educational channel not long ago.

--
Noncompliant

Money don't wag the dog's tail.

"Justin Wilson" wrote in message
Used to be the deserts of Arabia and the Horn of Africa were the world's
breadbasket. What did we do 15,000 years ago to mess that one up?

"Noncompliant" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Austin, Texas or Austin, Minnesota, its warmer every place. Move the
marker to the left on the calendar for last anticipated frost date.

Goodbye maples for Vermont I saw on TV in near future. Reason being the
same. Just getting too warm.
--
Noncompliant

Money don't wag the dog's tail.

"Scott Richardson" wrote in message
You'll be happy to hear that nearly all of the snow is now gone in
Austin. Heard a robin singing this morning. Probably two to three weeks
away before the garden will be dry enough to start cleaning up and
getting ready for the new season. I have penstemon, snaps, clematis,
columbine, larkspur, bachelor button seedlings that I need to repot into
individual pots and put out in the cold frame. Today or tomorrow I start
impatiens, petunia, and about 3 varieties of marigolds. Some basil and
cherry tomato also. (I have three sets of shop lights in the basement so
I am indoor gardening from about December.

Outdoor planting's frost free date is May 15th.
With the snow gone, I see that moles have been busy all winter just
under the snow but above the ground - I have declared war on them, but
victory is not yet in sight. This summer I am surging up my efforts.
They are handy in the garden as they churn the soil without hurting the
plants. In the lawn - evil thoughts of death and torture come to mind.
I didn't have any lily blooms last year because of either rabbits or
deer or both. A gardening acquaintance said to get a pellet gun. That's
surging too much. I am thinking - fencing as in perimeter fence. I
suppose I could call the fenced in area the "green zone. "

Scott in Austin ... Minnesota

Old 29-03-2007, 02:55 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Noncompliant" wrote in message
thlink.net... Homo
sapiens had no global effect on the earth

PRECISELY!

Now you get it. Happens all the time, over and over and over again. Has been
doing this for billions of years. Don't flatter yourself that you had
anything to do with it.

Old 29-03-2007, 09:41 AM posted to austin.gardening

Boy you snipped the hell out of the entire thread just to make a lawyer's
point in court. Kinda like a troll waiting for the right words to popout,
then "bam", snip what you want in a reply that suits your agenda.

Old 29-03-2007, 01:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:55:34 GMT, "Justin Wilson" wrote:

"Noncompliant" wrote in message
rthlink.net... Homo
sapiens had no global effect on the earth

PRECISELY!

Now you get it. Happens all the time, over and over and over again. Has been
doing this for billions of years. Don't flatter yourself that you had
anything to do with it.

This reminds me of my mother in law who is hateful and in general
spiteful and with my mere question, "Did you see An Inconvenient
Truth," she wrote back saying, "GOD IS IN CONTROL."

I suppose that's okay if you believe in god a creator, which I do not.

How anyone who watched "An Inconvenient Truth" can still deny that the
warming which has happened in the last fifty years took thousands of
years in past thaws. This is based on scientific measurements,
testing and there is no doubt any more where global warming is
concerned. It's happening. It doesn't show its effect in the way of
warmer than usual weather. There is a lot to it, not mere
temperatures and the ramifications are heavy with facts.
Old 29-03-2007, 01:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote:
How anyone who watched "An Inconvenient Truth" can still deny that the
warming which has happened in the last fifty years took thousands of
years in past thaws. This is based on scientific measurements,
testing and there is no doubt any more where global warming is
concerned. It's happening. It doesn't show its effect in the way of
warmer than usual weather. There is a lot to it, not mere
temperatures and the ramifications are heavy with facts.

You are assuming people care about facts. Lots of people couldn't care
less about the facts if they contradict their beliefs.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 31-03-2007, 04:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message
... "Did you see An
Inconvenient
Truth,"

Well, since Algore is a pathological liar ("when I invented the Internet"),
anyone that believes in the convenient truth movie has got to be just a
little bit (okay, a lot) psycho wack-job uneducated envious looney tunes
unbalanced jealous naive pseudo-intellectual creepy unhinged etc.

Old 31-03-2007, 05:20 AM posted to austin.gardening

You'll be happy to hear that now all of the snow is gone here in Austin.
It's unseasonably warm here.

We watched Al Gore's show and its interest and scary. The photos of the
receding glaciers and the loss of a big chunk of ice in Antartica (sp?) were
pretty telling and dramatic.

I hate to bring it up in a newsgroup consisting mostly of people from the
great State of Texas, but it is interesting to speculate where our great
country would be today if Al Gore had been elected instead of you know who.
Anyway, outdoor gardening is just around the corner!

Scott in Austin MN

Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Scott Richardson" wrote in message
news
You'll be happy to hear that now all of the snow is gone here in Austin.
It's unseasonably warm here.

We watched Al Gore's show and its interest and scary. The photos of the
receding glaciers and the loss of a big chunk of ice in Antartica (sp?)

were
pretty telling and dramatic.

I hate to bring it up in a newsgroup consisting mostly of people from the
great State of Texas, but it is interesting to speculate where our great
country would be today if Al Gore had been elected instead of you know

who.

It would have probably followed along the lines of what I hoped the
future would be like at this stage, helping solve the world's real problems.
And, coincidentally, the following was posted today...

2001: A Timeline of What Could Have Been
http://www.firedoglake.com/2007/03/3...uld-have-been/

Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:02:13 -0500, "cat daddy"
wrote:

It would have probably followed along the lines of what I hoped the
future would be like at this stage, helping solve the world's real problems.
And, coincidentally, the following was posted today...

2001: A Timeline of What Could Have Been
http://www.firedoglake.com/2007/03/3...uld-have-been/

We certainly would NOT have spent almost two TRILLION dollars on a
war, which we started and cannot get out of. How can people sit by
while children are starving to death in Darfur, or Somalia, or India?
How does this work? It's all very disgusting.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:31 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

It would have probably followed along the lines of what I hoped the
future would be like at this stage, helping solve the world's real

problems.
And, coincidentally, the following was posted today...

2001: A Timeline of What Could Have Been

http://www.firedoglake.com/2007/03/3...uld-have-been/

We certainly would NOT have spent almost two TRILLION dollars on a
war, which we started and cannot get out of. How can people sit by
while children are starving to death in Darfur, or Somalia, or India?
How does this work? It's all very disgusting.

I remember feeling a dark cloud lifting once the Reagan/Bush1 era ended,
and hoped that finally we would be able to address problems in Africa, South
America, etc. The transformation of the eastside of town where I live
(graffiti gone, people fixing up their houses), was concurrent and not just
coincidental to this new feeling.
"With $2 trillion, we could have funded the entire world's commitment to
foreign aid to poor countries for the next twenty years." I read that $1
billion would fund all the wildlife preserves in Africa for a year. What's
that, about 3 days of Iraq war funding. Some percentage of the war funding
could have converted everyone to solar power three times over. "One quarter
of the war budget would have fixed Social Security for the next seventy-five
years."
It's shameful.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 10:31:27 -0500, "cat daddy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it truly does sicken me to think that any child, man or woman is
starving to death as we type this in our beautiful homes with running
water, flushing toilets, stoves, refridgerator, food, tons of fat...

We could have done a lot with that money. Paid for everyone to have
every surgery they needed, every prescription drug for every senior
citizen and disabled person.

But no, our Texas schools have to spend millions of their dumb
football stadiums. It's so strange I can't wrap my mind around it.