Old 27-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Registered User

Question Need flower identification posters

Hi all,

This is my first message on this forum. I am presently teaching myself horticulture (will go on a proper course later in the year) and wanted to know where could I purchase posters or charts of flowers/plants/shrubs identification. The one I saw on the net addressed mostly kids; posters of wild flowers and not garden grown plants (and flowers, shrubs, etc).
I'd be also happy to be given addresses of sites that have charts and 'posters' (they'd be smaller than A3 obviously to fit on a computer screen) to download in PDF format or others.

In advance many thanks
PS: I tend to visit forums for a question then forgot which forum I asked wich question. Please email me at: .
Old 27-01-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Need flower identification posters

The message
from pierrot contains these words:

Hi all,

This is my first message on this forum. I am presently teaching myself
horticulture (will go on a proper course later in the year) and wanted
to know where could I purchase posters or charts of
flowers/plants/shrubs identification.

Books would be so much better than posters or pdf files. They contain
far more information in a convenient portable format. It's difficult to
carry posters around a garden or park, and unroll them to match a
picture or description to an ID.

IMO the best-value books for all kinds of plant ID are the
photographic-plants series by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix.They're easy
for beginners to navigate round but also very useful when you become
more knowledgeable. Cost around 15 pounds each but superb vale for
money.

In advance many thanks
PS: I tend to visit forums for a question then forgot which forum I
asked wich question. Please email me at: .

This is a newsgroup for gardening discussions, not a private advisory
service.

Janet
Old 27-01-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

--
X-No-Archive
"pierrot" wrote in message
news

Hi all,

This is my first message on this forum. I am presently teaching myself
horticulture (will go on a proper course later in the year) and wanted
to know where could I purchase posters or charts of
flowers/plants/shrubs identification. The one I saw on the net
addressed mostly kids; posters of wild flowers and not garden grown
plants (and flowers, shrubs, etc).
I'd be also happy to be given addresses of sites that have charts and
'posters' (they'd be smaller than A3 obviously to fit on a computer
screen) to download in PDF format or others.

In advance many thanks
PS: I tend to visit forums for a question then forgot which forum I
asked wich question. Please email me at: .

--
pierrot
why not simply buy a copy of the RHS 'gardeners encyclopaedia of flowers
and plants'. I got mine secondhand and find it essential for identifying
things.

Old 27-01-2006, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"pierrot" wrote in message
news

Hi all,

This is my first message on this forum. I am presently teaching myself
horticulture (will go on a proper course later in the year) and wanted
to know where could I purchase posters or charts of
flowers/plants/shrubs identification. The one I saw on the net
addressed mostly kids; posters of wild flowers and not garden grown
plants (and flowers, shrubs, etc).
I'd be also happy to be given addresses of sites that have charts and
'posters' (they'd be smaller than A3 obviously to fit on a computer
screen) to download in PDF format or others.

The problem with posters is that they're not portable, and so
aren't much use for identifying plants "in the field" so to speak.
I.e. out of doors.

At a guess, posters aimed at children are educational in a wider
sense, as well as being colourful and stimulting. And so alongside
posters of flowers and maybe trees, you might also find posters
of tigers, elephants, whales or whatever.

In other words they're produced for an entirely different purpose
to what you had in mind.

The only charts you're likely to find are botanical charts or
family trees of the plant species, genera, families, classes
etc, but they're quite complex and not really of much help
with identification.

michael adams

Old 27-01-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , pierrot
writes

Hi all,

This is my first message on this forum. I am presently teaching myself
horticulture (will go on a proper course later in the year) and wanted
to know where could I purchase posters or charts of
flowers/plants/shrubs identification. The one I saw on the net
addressed mostly kids; posters of wild flowers and not garden grown
plants (and flowers, shrubs, etc).
I'd be also happy to be given addresses of sites that have charts and
'posters' (they'd be smaller than A3 obviously to fit on a computer
screen) to download in PDF format or others.

In advance many thanks
PS: I tend to visit forums for a question then forgot which forum I
asked wich question. Please email me at: .

There's a quarter of million (give or take a lot) species of flowering
plants, and quite possibly a comparable number of cultivars, some
exceedingly divergent from the wild type. You're not going to get a
useful poster of general utility - only ones applying to relatively
small groups of plants.

I like the Philips & Rix books, mentioned elsethread, but the best
portable single volume work for identifying garden plants that I know of
is Michael Wright's "The Complete Handbook of Garden Plants".
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-01-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , bertrum
flack writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Perhaps a bit abrupt, there, Janet. But, Pierrot, if you do want to ask
a question here, you really should at least write down the name of the
group! As Janet says, this is a "place" for open discussions: you will
sometimes get an email reply if it's appropriate, but it would be a
mistake to expect it. Remember that email is private, and many of us
don't want to give our addresses to people we don't know, for reasons
you probably understand.

Mike, this person asked for help, no flaming

That was a flame??!

you prat, we should help each
other,

Perhaps we should. I look forward to seeing the first bit of help from
you.

--
Kay
Old 28-01-2006, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 27/1/06 20:37, in article ,
" wrote:

snip

Perhaps we should. I look forward to seeing the first bit of help from
you.

This person is posting from the area of Newcastle on Tyne. I don't think we
have any regular posters from there, do we? So it's probably another
plonkee of about 12 who got a computer for Christmas! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2006, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

STAY CALM EVERYONE.

For what should be a calm inducing hobby; this is a bizarrely hostile
newsgroup.

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip

Old 30-01-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

STAY CALM EVERYONE.

For what should be a calm inducing hobby;

Gardeners are almost always energetic, determined and down to earth.
Weilding godlike powers of creativity, life and death in our own
backyard, together with having such a dazzling array of choice in every
seed catalogue, eventually makes us highly opinionated. I can't imagine
how you got gardening mixed up with chanting OM or stamp collecting.

this is a bizarrely hostile
newsgroup.

That suggests you have very little experience of other newsgroups.
This one is notably tame, gentle, clean, restrained etc. But only
because the participants are so good at weeding, cutting, burning and
pest control.

Janet

Old 30-01-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

STAY CALM EVERYONE.

For what should be a calm inducing hobby;

Gardeners are almost always energetic, determined and down to earth.
Weilding godlike powers of creativity, life and death in our own
backyard, together with having such a dazzling array of choice in every
seed catalogue, eventually makes us highly opinionated. I can't imagine
how you got gardening mixed up with chanting OM or stamp collecting.

Buddhist urban legend goes:
if you want to get wise, get a garden.
A few hours of digging or planting is worth twice that of chanting.

this is a bizarrely hostile
newsgroup.

That suggests you have very little experience of other newsgroups.
This one is notably tame, gentle, clean, restrained etc. But only
because the participants are so good at weeding, cutting, burning and
pest control.

It is actually medium hostile. Compared to the big crazy groups it is
indeed placid but what is odd is how most posters here are not trollers or
undergrad stoned students or loonies and yet you get these tetchy outbursts
and insane crossposting efforts.
I find it bizarre seeing as almost everyone who regularly posts here is
pretty normal and helpful.
Anyway,
do stay calm all.

Janet

Old 30-01-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Des Higgins writes
I find it bizarre seeing as almost everyone who regularly posts here
is
pretty normal and helpful.

The key is the 'almost'.
--
Kay
Old 30-01-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

I can't believe the general response to this seemingly innocent posting.
There are many different ways of learning.....maybe a poster on a frequently
seen wall (or maybe the door of the loo) is not such a crazy idea.
When my son was learning plant ID's for his RHS course he put labels up all
over the house and it worked really well.

Good luck Pierrot!

Sue
--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 30-01-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/1/06 21:30, in article ,
"Sue" wrote:

I can't believe the general response to this seemingly innocent posting.
There are many different ways of learning.....maybe a poster on a frequently
seen wall (or maybe the door of the loo) is not such a crazy idea.
When my son was learning plant ID's for his RHS course he put labels up all
over the house and it worked really well.

Good luck Pierrot!

I think the problem most people seem to be addressing is that posters aren't
exactly easy to carry about, unroll and hold up in windy conditions on
gardening sites or in botanic gardens etc. Books would answer his need
better and one book, such as e.g. the RHS encyclopaedia would cover most
needs for those at the start of a career in horticulture. Coming back here
with plant descriptions and locations could be another useful source,
too.....
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Koi Posters AZKalEl Ponds 8 09-06-2004 03:10 PM
list of frequent posters? kenty ;-\) Orchids 23 27-01-2004 07:10 PM
cross posters rot Cass Roses 0 14-03-2003 11:20 PM
Cross posters Larry Harrell alt.forestry 0 19-10-2002 01:36 PM