Old 28-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Lori Hurt

Default BEST time to water yard

I've heard pros and cons for all the various watering times....When is the
best time to water your yard(carpet grass)?

Thanks in advance,
Lori

Old 28-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Elliot Richmond

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 01:33:55 GMT, "Lori Hurt"
wrote:

I've heard pros and cons for all the various watering times....When is the
best time to water your yard(carpet grass)?

If you mean by sprinkling, then you should water in the early morning
for two reasons.

1. Evaporation will be reduced because of the cooler air and higher
relative humidity, thus saving water.
2. Any water that does not soak in will evaporate as the day warms,
thus reducing the danger of fungus and other diseases encouraged by
dampness.

Now, if you have a drip system, water anytime.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 28-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Lori Hurt

Thanks Elliot.....I've got an automatic sprinkler system...so 'early
morning' it is.

Lori Hurt

Old 28-04-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

In Texas, the optimal time to water is during the very early morning hours when
there is no wind. That way, the water does not percolate down beyond the roots,
but gives the plant time to use it by capillary action in the soil all during
the day. When you water at night, the water is leached away, or too deep for
roots to reach it. Any time your plants or turf is drying or cupping or curling
is an indication to water immediately. Early morning is best, all around.