Old 05-02-2003, 05:15 AM
Jay Bird

Default My current plant list

You missed J, K, U & Z ;-)

"animaux" wrote in message
I am posting this to show that you do not have to have a boring garden in
Texas. Hopefully, I will stop buying and planting! I do have the front

lawn to
dig up, which will give me more room for more things!

Acanthus mollis
Acanthus spinosa
Agave (variegated)
Aquilegia chrysantha var. 'Hinkleyi'
Alocasia micholitziana 'Freydek'
Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata' (var. ginger lily)
Apples ('Granny Smith' and 'Mollies Delicious')
Aristolochia elegans aka Dutchman's Pipevine
Aristolochia fimbriata
Artemesia stelleriana 'Silver Brocade'
Asclepias
Aster oblongfolia aka Hardy blue aster
Autumn fern
Bauhinia (orchid tree, tender)
Blackberry 'Navaho'
Blackfoot Daisy
Brugmansia (2 unidentified)
Brugmansia candida
Brugmansia spp.
Brugmansia suavolens (3 varieties)
Burford holly
Butter and Eggs (forgot botanical name.could be Linaria?)
Caesalpinia pulcherrima aka Pride of Barbados or Texas Bird of Paradise
Callicarpa dichotoma 'Dark Star' (American beautyberry)
Calocasia 'Black Princess'
Calocasia esculenta 'Illustris' (Imperial taro)
Calylophus drummondianus var. berlandieri
Canna (yellow, not named)
Canna 'Tropicana'
Canna x generalis 'Pretoria'
Canna x hybrid 'Striped Beauty'
Cardoon
Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Dark Knight'
Cassia artemesioides
Cedar sage
Celosia argentea plumosa 'Flamingo Feather'
Ceratostigma plubaginoides (leadwort)
Cercis texinensis (native redbud)
Cercidium microphyllum aka Palo Verde
Cissus incisa Des Moulins aka Cow itch aka Ivy treebine
Clematis teriflora (sweet autumn clematis aka C. paniculata)
Clematis x jackmanii
Cleridendrom ugandense aka Blue bower
Comfrey
Coreopsis
Cotinus coggygria `Purpureus'
Crepe myrtle
Cuphea (batface)
Datura inoxia
Datura metel
Datura meteloides
Datura wrightii
Desert Willow (2)
Dittany of Crete
Dolichos lablab (hyacinth bean vine)
Dryopteris normalis (fern)
Echinacea purpurea
Echinacea purpurea 'White Swan'
Elcampane (Inula helenium)
Engelmannia pinnatifida (Engelman's daisy)
Erythrina herbacea aka Coral bean tree
Ficus pumila 'Variegata'
Geranium phaeum 'Mourning Widow'
Guara lindheimeri
Hackberry tree
Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'
Hamelia patens 'Grande'
Hemerocallis 'Hall's Pink'
Hemerocallis 'Stella D'Orro
Hemerocallis sp.
Heuchera micrantha 'Palace Purple'
Holly Fern
Hollyhocks (3) double white, apricot and black
Houttuynia cordata
Hybiscius syriacus (white double althea)
Hydrangea m. leucantha 'Queens lace'
Hydrangea petiolaris (climbing)
Hydrangea quercifolia aka Oakleaf hydrangea
Hydrangea variegata
Hypericum calycinum
Inland sea oats
Ipomoea 'Blackie'
Ipomoea 'Heavenly Blue'
Ipomoea 'Marguerite'
Iris foetidissima 'Gladwin'
Iris paeudocorus
Kapoc
Lantana montevidensis 'Weeping white'
Ligustrum sinense 'Variegatum' (Chinese privet)
Liriope spicata 'Silver Dragon'
Live Oak (three mature specimen trees)
Mandevilla boliviensis white
Maxmillion sunflower
Mexican hat
Miscanthus sinensis 'Cabaret'
Miscanthus sinensis 'Variegatus' (Japanese silver grass)
Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'
Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus'
Nicotiana sylvestris
Oleander (white)
Osmunda cinamonea (fern)
Parkinsonia aculeata (Mexican Palo Verde)
Passiflora incarnata x 'Incense'
Passiflora x alatocaerulea (back fence)
Passiflora foetidisima
Paulownia kavakamii
Peach 'Dixieland'
Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'
Penstemon 'Husker Red'
Penstemon cobaea
Perovskia atripolicifolia
Phyla incisa
Pittosporum tobira 'Variegata'
Polygonum 'Langsford Variety'
Possom Haw Holly
Prickly poppy
Prunus cerasifera 'Thundercloud' (purple ornamental plum)
Rain Lily
Rosa rugosa
Rose 'Sombruiel'
Rudbeckia sp.
Ruellia sp. 'Katy' (white)
Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph'
Salvia coccinea 'White Nymph'
Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue'
Salvia greggii 'Alba'
Salvia greggii 'Moonglow'
Salvia guaranitica
Salvia madrensis (forsythia sage, yellow flowers)
Salvia Mexicana 'Lollie Jackson'
Salvia nemosa 'East Friesland'
Salvia sinaloaensis (sapphire carpet sage)
Salvia Texana
Sambucas Mexicana
Schizophragma integrifolium 'Moonlight'
Sempervivum tectorum (hens and chicks)
Solanum jasminoides 'Grandiflora' (white potato vine)
Soldiago nemoralis aka Prairie goldenrod
Sophora secundiflora aka Mountain laurel
Spanish flag (vine)
Spiderwort
Stachytarpheta sp. (porterweed)
Stachys coccinea aka Texas betony
Stipa tenuissima (wiregrass)
Sword fern
Tecomaria capensis -Cape Honeysuckle
Thunburgia grandiflora
Tiarella cordifolia 'Black Velvet' (foamflower
Tricyrtis hirta
Tripsicum dactyloides (Eastern gama grass)
Vanilla grass
Verbena x hybrida 'Blue Princess' (Texas A&M)
Veronica teucrium 'Royal Blue' (front yard)
Veronica x 'Sunny Border Blue'
Viburnum burkwoodii
Viburnum tinus 'Spring Bouquet'
Vitex agnus castus (Chasteberry) blue and white two plants
Washingtonia robusta (Mexican fan palm)
Waxleaf ligustrum
Yarrow (common native white)
Yaupon holly
Yucca (blue curly)
Yucca (common)

Old 05-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Terry Horton wrote:
care we give is to look at it. :-) Pic of this extraordinary Texas and
southwestern native he
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/grads/betsy/pp.html

We have one that looks like that, but it's only purple all over in the winter
time. As soon as it got warm last year, it turned mostly green with some
purple on the edges. Is it the same species? We got it at Barton springs
nursery (which has a great selection of agaves and other dessert lilies).

possibly the best winter color we can plant. Possumhaws are
conspicuous along central Texas highways in winter, with ash white
trunks and branches covered in red berries. http://tinyurl.com/5d62.

We have those too, but we didn't get a lot of berries this year because last
year's late 17 degrees frost in March killed all the blooms

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 07-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Terry Horton

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:16:49 -0600, (Joe Doe)
wrote:

In article ,
(Terry Horton) wrote:

Prickly pear is tough, but who wants a boring old Opuntia? But how
about a red one?.. not red flowers, a head-turning reddish-purple all
over. Ask your nursery to order you an "Opuntia violacea var.
santa-rita" (not as hard-to-get as it sounds). We've got a very big
one growing in a very small pot on our back deck, and the extent of
care we give is to look at it. :-) Pic of this extraordinary Texas and
southwestern native he
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/grads/betsy/pp.html

Thanks for the suggestion; this is precisely the kind of suggestion I was
hoping for unnusual enough that it really earns a spot in your garden but
you do not pay a price in high maintainance.

Blue Palo Verde would go well with it, pruned to show off twisty green
trunks (the profuse yellow flowers are a bonus). Nolina lindheimeri
for the graceful, flowing leaves and tall cream flower spikes. And in
front, Black Dalea for the fine foliage and fall flowers. All are
Texas natives that require minimal care. It'd be a traffic stopper.
:-)

Hmm... may just do this myself.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
wrote:

What on the list is low care/no care? I ask because I have a near blank
canvas but only want to fill it with high bang for the buck stuff in terms
of floral beauty or foliage that needs minimal care. For example
something that would fit my definition is a crepe myrtle. I realize
crepe myrtles are common as heck but they look great in winter (beautifull
trunks), flower like crazy and well adapted to our soil. Similarly I
like many Salvias. Converesely I think Brugmansia look fantastic but
simply could not put in the time to look after them and winter protect
them etc.

I have the booklet put out by the city(?) on native/low water plants and
have read all the Texas authors (Garrett, Sperry, Hazeltine.....). Based
on this I have some ideas in which direction I want to head but I wouldnt
mind stretching my horizons.

Thanks.

Roland

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
(Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

If you want beautiful, hardy, no-care-whatsoever plants, get an agave
collection going. They are gorgeous, they come in lots of different forms
and sizes, and they require no care!

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

I like the Agave idea but assume I will have to build up a rocky/sandy bed
or mound for drainage. I will probably do this at some point in the
future. Right now, I just want to stuff in stuff that will thrive on clay
without me doing too much bed prep etc.

Roland
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
jamie

Joe Doe wrote:
I like the Agave idea but assume I will have to build up a rocky/sandy bed
or mound for drainage. I will probably do this at some point in the
future. Right now, I just want to stuff in stuff that will thrive on clay
without me doing too much bed prep etc.

Purslane. I bought a few of different colors, put them in a hanging
basket, and over about a month filled in a 2 foot by 4 foot area of
flower bed by cutting sprigs off and poking them in the ground. Just a
little bit of water at dusk, and they grow like weeds.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:36:48 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I am posting this to show that you do not have to have a boring garden in
Texas.

Nice plants, but who would ever think gardening in Texas boring?
Especially here in central Texas, where pretty much every major
ecotype 'north' of tropical and 'south' of taiga converge.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:21:50 -0600, (Joe Doe)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

What on the list is low care/no care? I ask because I have a near blank
canvas but only want to fill it with high bang for the buck stuff in terms
of floral beauty or foliage that needs minimal care.

'Minimal care' and 'no care' can yield vastly different results in a
110F Texas Augusta. :-) It's a pretty narrow range of plants that
can survive here with no care whatsoever.

Victor mentioned agave. I'd flesh that out to include the whole family
Agavaceae, especially the graceful and unarmed Nolinas. All are close
to indestructible short of bulldozing.

Prickly pear is tough, but who wants a boring old Opuntia? But how
about a red one?.. not red flowers, a head-turning reddish-purple all
over. Ask your nursery to order you an "Opuntia violacea var.
santa-rita" (not as hard-to-get as it sounds). We've got a very big
one growing in a very small pot on our back deck, and the extent of
care we give is to look at it. :-) Pic of this extraordinary Texas and
southwestern native he
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/grads/betsy/pp.html

*Lots* more options if you're willing to throw a little water on them
occasionally.... I especially like possumhaw for winter color,
possibly the best winter color we can plant. Possumhaws are
conspicuous along central Texas highways in winter, with ash white
trunks and branches covered in red berries. http://tinyurl.com/5d62.

Blank canvas,eh? I envy you, almost...

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 05:15:43 GMT, "Jay Bird"
wrote:

You missed J, K, U & Z ;-)

Juniperus, Ulmus and Zexmenia which are are probably too common to
list. Now on the K - Krigia? Krameria? I have some of the latter
growing in my yard. I bet that Animaux has some, too. So that should
flesh out her alphabet.

Rusty Mase

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:21:30 GMT, animaux
wrote:

No, but I do have a Kapoc tree,

Yes but that is a "C" for Ceiba pentandra. I do not know anything
about it. World War II military sleeping bags used to use Kapoc for
insultation. As kids we could buy these surplus really cheap. I
guess it would be the same stuff.

Rusty
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
(Terry Horton) wrote:

Prickly pear is tough, but who wants a boring old Opuntia? But how
about a red one?.. not red flowers, a head-turning reddish-purple all
over. Ask your nursery to order you an "Opuntia violacea var.
santa-rita" (not as hard-to-get as it sounds). We've got a very big
one growing in a very small pot on our back deck, and the extent of
care we give is to look at it. :-) Pic of this extraordinary Texas and
southwestern native he
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/grads/betsy/pp.html

Thanks for the suggestion; this is precisely the kind of suggestion I was
hoping for unnusual enough that it really earns a spot in your garden but
you do not pay a price in high maintainance.

*Lots* more options if you're willing to throw a little water on them
occasionally....

I do not mind some maintenance I just did not want to be married to the garden.

Blank canvas,eh? I envy you, almost...

The place was a rental for 10+ years. I am in the central city but have
to slowly nurse stuff back to shape. Day I took possession a huge
hackberry branch fell off. Local tree guys recommended I get rid of all
three that I had left because they were old and in poor condition. So
valuable landscaping dollars had to be spent on stuff like tree removal.
Most of the other trees are young (~10+ year bur oaks), squirrel donated
Pecan sapling, maturish Fig tree and two mature Mesquites. Several of
the young trees are badly placed/trained (pecan sapling too close to young
Bur oak in the front). Young Bur oak in the back is too close to the
house (13 feet) and appears stunted because of lack of care so I have
planted Chinese Pistachoes in the back and a Red oak and Yaupon holly.
Removal of the Hackberries robbed me Alley screening so I need a lot of
good screening. Currently I am using oleander because a friend donated me
stuff they removed during a house addition. I am also using Silverado
sage for screening.

I intend to use Salvias very heavily.

Roland