Old 22-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Arroyo

Default Scrub oak?

Could anyone tell me how to tell the difference between "Scrub Oaks"
and Live or Post Oaks? We have an awful lot of what most people call
scrub and tell us to take them out as they'll never amount to
anything! Some of them are 15-20' already and to me they look
identical to the ones people call Post Oaks, so I guess I just dont
get it . I have never seen reference to "Scrub" in any of our books,
are they just young oaks?

We are obvious amatures but really dont like taking out trees, ANY
trees, so we would love more input..

Thanks
Old 22-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Robbin

"Arroyo" wrote in message
om...
Could anyone tell me how to tell the difference between "Scrub Oaks"
and Live or Post Oaks? We have an awful lot of what most people call
scrub and tell us to take them out as they'll never amount to
anything! Some of them are 15-20' already and to me they look
identical to the ones people call Post Oaks, so I guess I just dont
get it . I have never seen reference to "Scrub" in any of our books,
are they just young oaks?

If you do a search for "scrub oak" on google, there are a number of
different trees that are called this. My grandfather used to call any small
oak a "scrub oak" on his farm. It would help in identification if you could
take some pictures of the trees, leaves, etc and post a link to the photos
here. There are a number of oaks which grow in Texas which usually stay
smaller and could be referred to by the oldtimers as scrub oak.

Old 24-09-2003, 04:16 AM
jabee

If YOU like 'em, keep 'em. Most likely you have Post oak (rounded
lobes). I've never seen Live oak that would be called "scrub".

"Robbin" wrote in message ...
"Arroyo" wrote in message
om...
Could anyone tell me how to tell the difference between "Scrub Oaks"
and Live or Post Oaks? We have an awful lot of what most people call
scrub and tell us to take them out as they'll never amount to
anything! Some of them are 15-20' already and to me they look
identical to the ones people call Post Oaks, so I guess I just dont
get it . I have never seen reference to "Scrub" in any of our books,
are they just young oaks?

If you do a search for "scrub oak" on google, there are a number of
different trees that are called this. My grandfather used to call any small
oak a "scrub oak" on his farm. It would help in identification if you could
take some pictures of the trees, leaves, etc and post a link to the photos
here. There are a number of oaks which grow in Texas which usually stay
smaller and could be referred to by the oldtimers as scrub oak.

Western Scrub Jay 3.jpg (1/1)Backyard shots Padraig[_2_] Garden Photos 0 03-01-2007 10:01 PM
Western Scrub Jay 4.jpg (1/1)Backyard shots Padraig[_2_] Garden Photos 0 03-01-2007 10:01 PM
Wanted: Free scrub trees...will remove from your property Tom North Carolina 9 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Scrub/bush turkeys Barbara Australia 15 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Wanted: Free scrub trees...will remove from your property Elizabeth North Carolina 8 29-03-2003 12:44 PM