Old 25-09-2003, 08:46 PM
chris

Default What are they?

More Info'
Senna corymbosa (Cassia corymbosa) - Common Tree Senna

Ornamental, small tree. Evergreen in mild climates. Bright yellow blooms against deep green foliage. Nice accent,
good patio plant. Needs winter protection north of Austin. Zone 8 Ë [Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay]

¡

[

5 - 8' x
3 - 4'

yellow blooms

Jly - Sep

"chris" wrote in message ...
Popcorn made me think of this one....

http://jouet.roger.free.fr/photos/aout/cassia.jpg

HTH
Chris in Arid Alkaline Austin

"Fred G" wrote in message .. .
Pride of Barbados? http://tinyurl.com/oiui

If so, I think they should be fine in Killeen. They come back from the
roots in the spring.

EXACTLY!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!! Now, how about the yellow ones?

Old 26-09-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

On 25 Sep 2003 21:38:56 -0700, (jabee) opined:

(Gary Brady) wrote in message ...
One has bright yellow, almost popcorn-looking flowers growing in clusters.

Retama?
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

I vote for Retama. Pride of Barbados is commonly used as the name of
two different plants, as is the name Bird of Paradise. Caesalpinia
gelliesii (Poinciana or Bird of Paradise) is the more cold hardy of
the two. The following link will show pictures of both and also
Retama.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/greengarden/smalltree.htm

There are a few, at least two different Retama. One is R. parkinsonia, and I
forget just now the other named variety. The one which have very long limbs
with inch to two inch thorns is commonly called Palo Verde. It is a legume, as
all the Retama are legumes.

I have this plant growing everywhere in my garden. Actually three of them I
allow to say, one of those I'm trying to get rid of. There are two right near
the pool and they drop tons of blossoms in spring. Big pain, but so beautiful
and it gives a perfect amount of shade for sun loving plants behind it.

Recently, I brought a flat of these plants to The Natural Gardener, so they are
available there. I will be bringing more to them. In three years I have a 15
foot tree with a 6 inch diameter trunk. Everyone calls it the Dr. Seuse tree!

They also sell the "other" Retama there, but I truly do mix the botanical
classifications up, so the larger of the two is the one with the thorns.

Victoria

Old 26-09-2003, 03:02 PM
N. Woolley

Two-leaved Senna is Cassia roemeriana. Roemer was a German naturalist
who collected plants around New Braunfels for several years in the
mid-1800's. This plant grows to 1 to 2 ft.

There is also Lindheimer Senna, Cassia lindheimeriana. Lindheimer was a
botanist, also in central Texas. This plant grows to about 3-4 ft. and
has really nice softly fuzzy leaves.

The Tree Senna is not native to Texas. I planted one in my yard this
spring. I am crossing my fingers that it overwinters well. I also have
the Lindheimer Senna. All of these plants have very nice yellow flowers.

Nancy W.
CAMN

Old 26-09-2003, 06:32 PM
animaux

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:48:18 GMT, "N. Woolley" opined:

Two-leaved Senna is Cassia roemeriana. Roemer was a German naturalist
who collected plants around New Braunfels for several years in the
mid-1800's. This plant grows to 1 to 2 ft.

There is also Lindheimer Senna, Cassia lindheimeriana. Lindheimer was a
botanist, also in central Texas. This plant grows to about 3-4 ft. and
has really nice softly fuzzy leaves.

The Tree Senna is not native to Texas. I planted one in my yard this
spring. I am crossing my fingers that it overwinters well. I also have
the Lindheimer Senna. All of these plants have very nice yellow flowers.

Nancy W.
CAMN

I have both and both are and have been in the ground for 3 years with no signs
of cold damage. They are both with a wall behind them in the north of the
garden. They are protected, somewhat from the rigorous winds from the winter
northers.

The Natural Gardener has several, as well. All beautiful and doing well.
Old 27-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Coty Melvin

What are they?Gold Star Esperanza for the yellow ones.

"Fred G" wrote in message
.. .
My dad was visiting from Killeen. Absolutely fell in love with some
shrubs/trees that he saw. They both look spindly, like Mimosa or Mesquite.
One has bright yellow, almost popcorn-looking flowers growing in clusters.
The second looks like two-toned flowers, orange and tangerine red blossoms.
Any idea of what I should ask for in the nurseries? Might they grow in
Killeen, 70 miles northwest of here? Thanks!

Old 30-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Alternate Personality

What are they?Could be retamas. If so, they should grow in Killeen just fine, since I've seen them thriving by the side of the road as far north as Ft. Worth.

I bought some last year at Barton Creek Nursery. I've also been told that retamas grow easily from seed, so if you can't find any to buy, you might try picking up some seeds from the trees you saw.

There's a picture at: http://horticulture.tamu.edu:7998/or...d=33459&-find=

-alternate

"Fred G" wrote in message .. .
My dad was visiting from Killeen. Absolutely fell in love with some shrubs/trees that he saw. They both look spindly, like Mimosa or Mesquite. One has bright yellow, almost popcorn-looking flowers growing in clusters. The second looks like two-toned flowers, orange and tangerine red blossoms. Any idea of what I should ask for in the nurseries? Might they grow in Killeen, 70 miles northwest of here? Thanks!

Old 01-10-2003, 01:13 AM
animaux

The Natural Gardener has some of both varieties. I sold them some in the
summer. They grow very rapidly.

Victoria

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:07:42 GMT, "Alternate Personality"
opined: