Old 05-10-2003, 09:22 PM
will

Default I need a plant to grow up a trellis....

Hi.

I need a plant that will grow up a trellis and have lots of pretty
flowers.

The spot has a a decent bit of sun in the early part of the day, but
after 5 or so, it will be in shade more or less.

I would like something that is easy to maintain and doesn't require more
then the occaisonal watering and pruning.

I would also need something that is easy to find. Something that I could
get from home depot, one of you nice folks, or even order online.

Any help would be lots of help to me.

Thanks!

=will=

Old 05-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Victor M. Martinez

You have lots of options. I'd recommend a passion vine, depending on the size
of the trellis you could also get a wisteria. The Natural Gardener and Barton
Springs Nursery both have many varieties and very knowledgeable folks that
can help you.
Avoid the big box stores unless you know *exactly* what you're looking for.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 06-10-2003, 03:02 AM
will

You mentioned wisteria.

Unfortunately, I am limited to Home Depot and similar places.

They had an "Avery Island Wisteria" there. Do you know off hand how that
would do?

You mentioned the size of the trellis.

Is this a plant that would grow massive? Or just the opposite?

=will=

Old 06-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Victor M. Martinez

will wrote:
Unfortunately, I am limited to Home Depot and similar places.

why?

Old 06-10-2003, 10:16 PM
will

I am limited to home depot and boring places like that because I don't
have a very reliable means of transportation.

I can talk a buddy into going to home depot with me and dragging me up
there, the chances are that he will want something from there as well.

Talking a buddy into driving somewhere that isn't very close to go look
at plants probably wouldn't go quite as well.

=will=

Old 06-10-2003, 10:38 PM
animaux

Wisteria is not, no, DEFINITELY NOT a trellis plant. It is an arbor of
substance, plant. It is a rampant grower and will grow through shingles into
the house through the roof, easement or sidewalls. It's a very vigorous plant
and needs constant attention and constant supervision! Another factor is that
it may not bloom till it's in the ground for several years, up to 10.

Trumpet vine is a very rapid growing vine, and crossvine is native and available
at every Home Depot. Clematis terniflora aka sweet autumn clematis is another
widely available plant which needs little care and is evergreen. Both require
sun.

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:15:28 -0500 (CDT), (will) opined:

Old 06-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Victor M. Martinez

animaux wrote:
Wisteria is not, no, DEFINITELY NOT a trellis plant. It is an arbor of

It depends on which wisteria you're talking about. The evergreen form is most
definitely manageable as a trellis plant.

Old 07-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Terry Horton

(will) wrote:

You mentioned wisteria.

Unfortunately, I am limited to Home Depot and similar places.

Ask about crossvine "Tangerine Dream" (_Bignonia capreolata _).

Old 07-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Victor M. Martinez

animaux wrote:
Oh, I wasn't thinking the evergreen one. They seem hard to come by. Do you
know anyone selling that one?

No, but we're looking for one.

Old 07-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Red

Carolina Jessamine,(yellow flower-evergreen), Star/Confederate Jasmine(white
flower-usually evergreen), Butterfly Vine-Mascagnia (yellow flower all
summer-will freeze back)
..

Old 08-10-2003, 01:45 AM
animaux

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:20:35 GMT, "Red" opined:

Carolina Jessamine,(yellow flower-evergreen), Star/Confederate Jasmine(white
flower-usually evergreen), Butterfly Vine-Mascagnia (yellow flower all
summer-will freeze back)

Do you have any experience with starting seeds of the butterfly vine? Any tips?

Old 08-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Victor M. Martinez

animaux wrote:
I'll let you know if I find it. Have you been out to John's place lately? The
store is looking beautiful. I'm impressed. I was there yesterday with the

We were there this past weekend, it is looking good. I particularly like the
new location of the cash registers, can't wait for them to finish the project.

Round Rock Garden Club. I am also looking for C.pitcherii or seeds...if you
find any.

Will keep an eye out. We only have a texensis form, it's really pretty and
grows with absolutely no care whatsoever. Not even water in the summer.