Old 02-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Art Vega

Default Apple Trees

I live in the DFW area and got a Red Delicious Apple Tree.
The sticker it had said "Self-Pollinator", nevertheless, I found out
in the web that a cross pollinator is recomended. My problem is
that I have room in my back yard for only one more tree.

Do you have experience with this tree?

How much is the production of the tree reduced if
I don't have another tree as pollinator?

Should I exchange it for another tree like a Golden Delicious?

Thanks for your help,
Art
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 AM
Jim Marrs

I suggest you purchase some of the columnar trees on the market. They take
up little room and do very well in containers. Buy one or two different from
your Red Delicious and they will act as a pollinator for your regular tree.

Have fun
JEM

om...

Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
escapee

Well, all apple trees have the possibility of fruiting without another tree, but
it will be sparse. You won't get any fruit for about 5 years, anyway. Granny
Smith is a good one to use with a your tree, but Mollies Delicious would have
been my choice for this far south. Apple trees need chill hours and 400 chill
hours is about what Texas gets...IF that.

You have nothing to lose by trying it. OR buy a neighbor a tree and plant in
their yard. You will both have apples.

victoria

On 1 Mar 2004 15:42:41 -0800, (Art Vega) opined:

Old 04-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Yet Another

My bother-in-law has what may be the answer to your problem. His
tree is at least 10 years old. It was a graft- -Red Delicious on one
side and Golden Delicious on the other.

I don't think pollinator is all this important on Red Delicious. The
reason I say this is the Red and Golden Delicious do not bloom at the
same time, and his Red Delicious always makes a bumper crop. Often
time frost will get his Golden Delicious because they bloom first, but
the Reds will still make.

I know he has only one tree(the grafted) and know of none other in
tneighborhood .