Old 15-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Texensis

Default Organic Method of killing weeds

"Noman" wrote in message
| I have a huge back year most of which is planted with bermuda.
Unfortunately
| the dollar weed, broadleafs, and dandelions have moved in. Is there
an
| organic option to killing these weeds? I am especially concerned
about the
| dandelions which practically took over last year. I don't want to
use Weed
| and Feed. Please do not recommend pulling them by hand, there's not
that
| much time left in the universe:-)
|
| I did find an organic pre-emerge which I used around Christmas and
that
| helped eliminate many weeds. However my home is adjacent to a large
field
| and I think weed seeds just blow in over the fence.

You'd be surprised at how quickly you can work using one of those hand
weeders with the notch cut in them. They're good and fast with
dandelions. A lot of other stuff just goes away when it gets hot.

Old 15-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Texensis

Old 15-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Ron Ellis" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a tool for weed removal? Preferably one that can be
used while standing. I've seen ads for "weed-poppers" and such. Do any of
these work?

I currently use a standard shovel and knock the dirt from the roots.

Ron

I've had a Weed Hound for several yrs. Works great. If you handle it right it
will pull up only a small plug of dirt with the weed roots intact.

http://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm

Tyler

Old 15-03-2004, 11:47 PM

I've been using corn meal gluten for 3 years now (although it's a little late
now) as a preemergent. It works better the longer you use it, and our front
yard is now essentially weed-free. Our back doesn't get as much coverage,
and still has a bit of a dandelion problem.
For post-emergent, I use vinegar, with mixed success. You can paint it on
or spray it on.

-parc

--
"This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a
period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin' it without our permission,

Old 19-03-2004, 07:06 PM
RoyDMercer

"Noman" wrote in message
I have a huge back year most of which is planted with bermuda.

Unfortunately
the dollar weed, broadleafs, and dandelions have moved in. Is there an
organic option to killing these weeds? I am especially concerned about the
dandelions which practically took over last year. I don't want to use

Weed
and Feed. Please do not recommend pulling them by hand, there's not that
much time left in the universe:-)

Goats work very well. They'll eat anything.

Old 19-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Greg C

What does molasses do? I thought that it was good for the soil and plants.

GC

Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
LA MAJUR

In article ,
"RoyDMercer" wrote:

"Noman" wrote in message
I have a huge back year most of which is planted with bermuda.

Unfortunately
the dollar weed, broadleafs, and dandelions have moved in. Is there an
organic option to killing these weeds? I am especially concerned about the
dandelions which practically took over last year. I don't want to use

Weed
and Feed. Please do not recommend pulling them by hand, there's not that
much time left in the universe:-)

Goats work very well. They'll eat anything.

Heard you can use white vinegar in a spray bottle. Haven't tried it but
sounds right.

FG
Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Jim Marrs

You will need at least 20% vinegar to do any good. Lowe's has it as do many
other nurseries.

Good Luck

Jim

Old 05-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Fritz von Herbenfeller

I read that 20% Ag grade vvinegar with a bit of orange oil in it will
kill about anything, even ivy, without harming nearby tree roots etc. I'm
about to try it on ivy. The vinegar is available at Lowe's and I suppose
other garden and farm centers. Orange oil availablity is spotty but some
Lowe's and most large organic centers and mail order houses have it.