Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Mapanari

Default NEED FIREWOOD for fireplace, meat smoker - will cut/haul

(Joe Doe) spake as minus
:

In article , Mapanari
wrote:

Glad to hear it.

I myself like Arizona ash; they grow fast, are very drought tolerant
and look sort of like oak trees.

I actually go around my neighborhood and stealth plant trees. The
trick is to put a brick right at the base of it set into the dirt so a
mower or bicyclist will see it and avoid it; most people being too lazy
will not pick up one brick but just avoid it. They call me Mapanari
Appleseed around here.

--
---Mapanari---

Interesting, that a person who judges houses without trees so harshly,
chooses a junk tree as a "favorite tree".

The Arizona ash is universally considered as short lived, weak wooded,
disease prone poor choice.

Howard Garrett in plants for Texas says: "Do not plant!!!! Fast growing
junk tree. Brittle wood, yellow fall color smooth bark. Grows in any
soil, heavy water and light fertilization needs. Uses: fast growing
temporary shade tree. Problems: borers, aphids, brittle wood,
short-lived, destructive roots."

Dale Groom in the Texas Gardening Guide says: "When shopping for Texas
ash be sure you are not persuaded to purchase Arizona Ash trees instead.
Don't plant Arizona ash even if someone gave you one!"

Neil Sperry echoes this point.

TAMU echoes this point see:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...s/arizash.html

Roland

P.S. The Texas Ash is a better choice if you want an Ash as are many
other trees, but of course high class types such as yourself have their
property values enhanced by thousands of dollars by gems such as the
Arizona Ash.

The Arizona ash is perfect for what it does; grows fast, is pretty, gives
good shade and is simular to a live oak tree.
Short lived is all relative; if you're 60 years old and want shade and nice
trees in a about 7 years, you plant something like that.
If you're responsible and give a shit about the next owner or generation or
your kids, you plant a pecan and a few live oak trees around too.

After you're gone, in about 60 years, they'll be nice trees.

Or, if you have $5,000, you can get that guy with the giant spade bit
machine and get them to plant a full grown (20') tree all at once; it takes
about 2 years to establish fully and walla!

People who aren't all snooty and politically correct on trees and shrubary
plant what grows fast and looks good.
The average homeowner sells within 5-7 years of purchase, so, if the filthy
dirty slimy typical building crooks bulldozed down every tree and then
filled your shitbox's yard with those laughable cheap tiny spindly nursery
5' tall twigs they call trees, yu're going to have a shitbox that looks
like a shitbox.

Now, you can go out on William Cannon and see shitboxes built in the 60's,
70's and 80's and nice housing where they tried to keep the trees like in
Circle C and the shitboxes magically turn into desirable homes and
neighborhoods.

Relax dude, and grow a tree; any damn tree is better than no tree.

And remember, one tree does more to clean out the air and make it
breathable in Austin than one overpriced stealth tax raise for the liberals
to reward bad teachers and overpaid teachers and give away millions to
illegal immigrants with their new yearly tailpipe inspection coming in
2006.
And it doesn't matter if it's an politically incorrect Arizona ash,
Chinaberry or a pc, liberal-friendly live oak.

--
---Mapanari---

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Mapanari

(Joe Doe) spake as minus
:

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Katra

In article ,
Mapanari wrote:

(Joe Doe) spake as minus
:

In article , Mapanari
wrote:

[...]

I'm still going to be getting a LOT of baby chinaberries coming up in
the yard this year from the poor tree I murdered...

If anyone wants any, let me know and I'll pot them for you if you come
and get them. Otherwise, the sprouts are pulled as weeds and fed to the
chickens.

They grow _very_ fast.

I also get dozens of hackberries every year that I have to treat as
weeds. Massive shade crowns, fast growing and live about 30 years. The
berries attract migrating robins every spring. Kewl birds. G

The pecan trees that sprout from squirrel plantings get dug up and
potted with about a 50% survival rate. If anyone wants any of THOSE, let
me know. I think we have 3 or 4 in pots at the moment, and there are
several that need digging up this spring. Damned squirrels. G

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Katra

In article ,
Mapanari wrote: