Old 16-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Cool! Do keep us posted please?
What did the fox uring cost and how long is it good for?

K.

I wonder if people urine would work? That's a lot easier to get - just send
husband out in the morning....

Cindy

You never know... lol

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 16-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Celeste Evans

In article ,
Katra wrote:

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Cool! Do keep us posted please?
What did the fox uring cost and how long is it good for?

K.

I wonder if people urine would work? That's a lot easier to get - just send
husband out in the morning....

Cindy

You never know... lol

K.

You could try Buck Moore feed store on Burnet road. They carry lots of
strange things and I am pretty sure they have some sort of predator
urine, might be coyote.

Cea
Old 17-08-2004, 01:03 AM
john

In article ,
Celeste Evans wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Cool! Do keep us posted please?
What did the fox uring cost and how long is it good for?

K.

I wonder if people urine would work? That's a lot easier to get - just
send
husband out in the morning....

Cindy

You never know... lol

K.

You could try Buck Moore feed store on Burnet road. They carry lots of
strange things and I am pretty sure they have some sort of predator
urine, might be coyote.

Cea

Buck Moore's is actually on Lamar at North Loop:

5237 N. Lamar, 451-3469

Don't know if they have fox urine, but Callahan's definitely does. As
well as that of many other species. Coyote, for one.
Old 17-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Katra

In article ,
john wrote:

In article ,
Celeste Evans wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Cool! Do keep us posted please?
What did the fox uring cost and how long is it good for?

K.

I wonder if people urine would work? That's a lot easier to get - just
send
husband out in the morning....

Cindy

You never know... lol

K.

You could try Buck Moore feed store on Burnet road. They carry lots of
strange things and I am pretty sure they have some sort of predator
urine, might be coyote.

Cea

Buck Moore's is actually on Lamar at North Loop:

5237 N. Lamar, 451-3469

Don't know if they have fox urine, but Callahan's definitely does. As
well as that of many other species. Coyote, for one.

Callahans is just a cool place to shop anyway... :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 17-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Texensis

"Katra" wrote in message
|snip|
| You could try Buck Moore feed store on Burnet road. They carry
lots of
| strange things and I am pretty sure they have some sort of
predator
| urine, might be coyote.
|
| Cea
|
| Buck Moore's is actually on Lamar at North Loop:
|
| 5237 N. Lamar, 451-3469
|
| Don't know if they have fox urine, but Callahan's definitely does.
As
| well as that of many other species. Coyote, for one.
|
| Callahans is just a cool place to shop anyway... :-)
|
| K.

And so is Buck Moore's, especially for store fixtures that are quite
antique (not for sale, but in operation daily): two varieties of
old-fashioned scales, a comptometer type calculator, and an old
mechanical cash register. At the store is a rack of Lone Star Seeds
with the handsome old-fashioned graphics on some of the packets, based
on chromolithographs. Or pick up a laminated list of local birds. East
Texas stoneware. Pet items. Started plants for transplant at certain
times of the year.

Old 21-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Robert Alexander

Dear Austinites,

Ok, I had to jump in somewhere and move this thread er, squirrel discussion
forward....

So here's a pic of my trusty attack squirrel:

http://hobil.com/squirrel01.jpg

You may laugh but shortly after the sunflower seeds ran out, the booger flew
into a rage and mauled the photographer.

The rabies shots were tough but we think he's gonna make it.

mr. bob

Old 21-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Victor Martinez

Robert Alexander wrote:
You may laugh but shortly after the sunflower seeds ran out, the booger flew
into a rage and mauled the photographer.

That is too cool! My MIL (in Houston) feeds the squirrels peanuts and
other nuts. One time she was late bringing the food out and the
squirrels actually mobbed her when she finally came out with the seeds.
One even bit her!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 22-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Rusty Mase

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:02:28 GMT, "Robert Alexander"
wrote:

Dear Austinites,
You may laugh but shortly after the sunflower seeds ran out, the booger flew
into a rage and mauled the photographer.

The rabies shots were tough but we think he's gonna make it.

I hope the photographer went to a doctor to obtain medical advice
prior to taking these shots. According to the Center for Disease
Control:

".........no transmission of rabies from a rodent to a human (or any
other mammal) has ever been documented in the United States".
CDC. Rabies prevention - United States, 1999. MMWR 1999;
48(RR1):11-21.

Now, it might take more digging into the published information to
really verify this but any medical professional that recommended
rabies shots for a squirrel bite is simply selling shots and is likely
guilty of malpractice.

On the off-hand chance that you are merely joshing us, you need to be
aware that some folks might not get the pun.

Rusty Mase
Paisano Industries LLP
www.paisano.com
Old 22-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Cindy

".........no transmission of rabies from a rodent to a human (or any
other mammal) has ever been documented in the United States".
CDC. Rabies prevention - United States, 1999. MMWR 1999;
48(RR1):11-21.

BUT, would YOU want to take the chance?

Cindy

Old 22-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Katra

In article ,
Rusty Mase wrote:

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:02:28 GMT, "Robert Alexander"
wrote:

Dear Austinites,
[...]

As a general rule, if there is any question of rabies from a rodent
attack, the city will confiscate and kill the animal, and remove it's
head to have it examined for rabies PRIOR to giving the "victim" rabies
shots...

If it is indeed an attack squirrel, it needs to be kept away from other
people for it's own safety. It happened here in our town once. A guy had
a pet squirrel that he'd raised from a baby and it bit someone. The
shelter confiscated it and killed it.

It's the law. :-(

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 23-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:33:55 GMT, "Cindy"
wrote:

".........no transmission of rabies from a rodent to a human (or any
other mammal) has ever been documented in the United States".
CDC. Rabies prevention - United States, 1999. MMWR 1999;
48(RR1):11-21.

BUT, would YOU want to take the chance?

For sure, as there is no risk involved. I would reflect on whether I
had kept up with my tetanus booster shots, but you need to keep those
current for working in your yard.

Overall, you are at greater risk of catching a serious disease from a
mosquito. About the only rodent-like animal I would be worried about
would be rabbits as they can carry a fairly serious disease that can
be transmitted to humans, tulermia.

Rusty

Rusty Mase
Paisano Industries LLP
www.paisano.com
Old 23-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Cindy

BUT, would YOU want to take the chance?

For sure, as there is no risk involved. I would reflect on whether I
had kept up with my tetanus booster shots, but you need to keep those
current for working in your yard.

Overall, you are at greater risk of catching a serious disease from a
mosquito. About the only rodent-like animal I would be worried about
would be rabbits as they can carry a fairly serious disease that can
be transmitted to humans, tulermia.

Rusty

What about skunks? I thought the rationale behind banning skunks as pets is
that they carry rabies. Or are they not rodents?

Cindy

Old 23-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

BUT, would YOU want to take the chance?

For sure, as there is no risk involved. I would reflect on whether I
had kept up with my tetanus booster shots, but you need to keep those
current for working in your yard.

Overall, you are at greater risk of catching a serious disease from a
mosquito. About the only rodent-like animal I would be worried about
would be rabbits as they can carry a fairly serious disease that can
be transmitted to humans, tulermia.

Rusty

What about skunks? I thought the rationale behind banning skunks as pets is
that they carry rabies. Or are they not rodents?

Cindy

Skunks are not rodents. ;-)
They EAT rodents!

Skunks are in the same family as ferrets and weasels.

K.
--
"I NEED my pain!"
-- William Shatner, Star Trek 5
Old 23-08-2004, 02:59 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:51:59 GMT, "Cindy"
wrote:

What about skunks? I thought the rationale behind banning skunks as pets is
that they carry rabies. Or are they not rodents?

No, skunks are not Rodents, they are Carnivores. The main carriers of
rabies are all Carnivores except for bats. So between bats and
Carnivores there are not many carriers of rabies and possibly not any.

Take for example horses. Horses bite people on occassion and yet I
have never heard of a horse being sacrificed for a rabies test.

On the other hand if something bites you and you do not know much
about what bit you then you really should ask a doctor. Hopefully, if
you encountered a house mouse that took a nip out of your finger, the
doctor would know not run you through rabies injections.

Rusty Mase
Old 23-08-2004, 03:08 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:40:58 -0500, Katra
wrote:

It happened here in our town once. A guy had
a pet squirrel that he'd raised from a baby and it bit someone. The
shelter confiscated it and killed it.

Extremely mean people, I wager.

Rusty Mase