Old 20-05-2012, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trapping squirrels

I bought a squirrel cage trap from Amazon and caught a squirrel within 10
minutes of leaving the trap open in the garden.

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill the
squirrel - as destructive as they are in chewing timber frame houses and
damaging plants and trees.

A pest control company will charge to destroy them but this incredibly
involves clubbing the poor buggers to death having placed them in a sack.
Doesn't sound right to me. A local vet will charge a consultation fee plus
other charges to humanely destroy a caught squirrel - about £60.

I've been told that you can't release them once caught. But what harm would
it do to release a squirrel in a local forest miles away from anyone where
there are already thousands - probably millions - of the critters? I'm not
saying there is no harm just asking for an understanding of what it is.

Old 20-05-2012, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:10:40 +0100, Gareth wrote:

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill the
squirrel ...

Not properly thought through getting the trap have we...

If hitting the thing on the head with a lump of wood doesn't appeal
try an air pistol at short range. In either case keeping the little
******* still enough to hit or shoot won't be easy. Probably need to
use bits of wood through the bars of the to pin it against a side.
Don't even think about handling the thing unless you have some really
thick leather gloves, they have long sharp teeth and don't fight
acording to the Queensbury rules.

But what harm would it do to release a squirrel in a local forest miles
away from anyone where there are already thousands - probably millions -
of the critters?

Depends if there are any Red Squirrels any where near (near being 50
miles) Greys carry, and are immune to Squirrel Pox. To Reds squirrel
pox is nearly always fatal within a wekk or so.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-05-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gareth" wrote in message
[...]

No you cannot release a grey squirrel once you have caught one, as it is
non-native animal. It's illegal.
Once you trap something, you have to have a plan how to deal with it. If
you cannot bear to dispatch them yourself, hire a person who will.
I had to do this with the foxes that kept killing my chickens. I got foxman
in. He was quite happy for them to meet his rifle in the catch-alive trap.
In my chicken run.

Old 20-05-2012, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:03:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gareth" wrote in message
[...]

What did he charge for this service? (I have a verbal quote and it
isn't cheap!)

Regards
JonH
Old 20-05-2012, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gareth" wrote in message
I bought a squirrel cage trap from Amazon and caught a squirrel within 10
minutes of leaving the trap open in the garden.

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill the
squirrel - as destructive as they are in chewing timber frame houses and
damaging plants and trees.

A pest control company will charge to destroy them but this incredibly
involves clubbing the poor buggers to death having placed them in a sack.
Doesn't sound right to me.

My foxman will also do squirrel. He does not use that technique.
He released a suckling vixen from my trap because he did not know where the
cubs were and he didn't want them to starve.

Make no mistake, had he known where they were, he would have killed the
vixen in my trap and destroyed the cubs.
But even though he is a vermin controller he does have a heart.

Old 20-05-2012, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:03:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gareth" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Happily, he charged zero, nothing, as he hates foxes as he had a big hit
from them himself just before I did.
It can be expensive, what have you been quoted?
I think he liked me, as he also did for the rats for no charge.

Old 20-05-2012, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:03:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gareth" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Mmmm, fluttering eyelids works wonders
Pete C

Old 20-05-2012, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:03:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gareth" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I did not do that and never would.
Can we get back to the quoted charge? I want to know what it is.

Old 20-05-2012, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gareth wrote:

I've been told that you can't release them once caught. But what harm would
it do to release a squirrel in a local forest miles away from anyone where
there are already thousands - probably millions - of the critters? I'm not
saying there is no harm just asking for an understanding of what it is.

Inter alia, it's more cruel than killing them cleanly. A squirrel
released into a strange area will almost certainly die from hunger,
or being killed by other squirrels.

Use an air rifle and make squirrel casserole. Seriously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-05-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:03:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gareth" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My apologies if I upset you, I did wink.
Pete C

Old 21-05-2012, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

Contact your local council, they will probably do it for free.
Our local council ridded us of a potential pigeon problem.

Baz
Old 22-05-2012, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

I bought a squirrel cage trap from Amazon and caught a squirrel within
10 minutes of leaving the trap open in the garden.

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill the
squirrel - as destructive as they are in chewing timber frame houses
and damaging plants and trees.

and that's what you need to think about when you get a trap and get one,
your target. Now what will you do?
Please don't trap, unless you can kill them yourself, or get someone in,
quickly, who can.
Any foxes I caught in the catch-alive trap in my hen run were soon off to
the RB via Foxman.
For the memory of my cockerel, Paxo 2 who died of injuries trying to save
his girls. He was bruised all over his body and died trying to save them
from the fox.
May he know we got the fox that did it.

Old 22-05-2012, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 22 May 2012 21:34:40 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

and that's what you need to think about when you get a trap and get one,
your target. Now what will you do?
Please don't trap, unless you can kill them yourself, or get someone in,
quickly, who can.

Hear, hear.

I'd have no qualms about hitting a grey squirrel over the head, we
are fortunate to still have Reds around here. Any greys that put in
an appearance are quite likely to face a cluster of high velocity
metal balls...

Same with rats. The mice get deported up onto the fell side miles
from any habitation, why should we deprived the owls, hawks, stoats
an other predators of their breakfast? I didn't like dispatching the
young stoat (broken spinal cord some where down it's back) that the
cat bought in the other morning though, the pheasant chick not a
problem. Hundreds of pheasants...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-05-2012, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Whatever you may feel about it, the ONLY solution is to kill the buggers,
they are vermine and all they do is to cause harm to other creatures.

Alan

Old 24-05-2012, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

I bought a squirrel cage trap from Amazon and caught a squirrel within
10 minutes of leaving the trap open in the garden.

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill the
squirrel - as destructive as they are in chewing timber frame houses
and damaging plants and trees.

and that's what you need to think about when you get a trap and get one,
your target. Now what will you do?
Please don't trap, unless you can kill them yourself, or get someone in,
quickly, who can.

You do NOt HAVE to kill them directly, if you just leave the buggers in the
trap, after a short while, they will die anyway!

Alan