Old 22-02-2005, 03:07 PM
David

Default Spring "Fall"

I've been in my house for about 2 years now and I remember the Spring "Fall"
here in central Texas, but I can't remember when that's supposed to occur.
Is this a March thing or an April thing?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Regards,
David

Old 22-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:07:13 -0600, "David" wrote:

I've been in my house for about 2 years now and I remember the Spring "Fall"
here in central Texas, but I can't remember when that's supposed to occur.
Is this a March thing or an April thing?

Well, this is Texas, David and anyone's guess counts. Usually, we can
start anticipating Spring during middle February and it is always here
by early March. Of course there is always the chance of a late
freeze. My Texas mountain laurels and climbing roses have succumbed
to these for two years now. We may be past that point now this year.

Remember, the angle of the Sun is now as high as it was on October 22
and we are only a month away from the Spring Equinox so we are
beginning to get a lot more heat from the Sun.

It is hot by April usually, well into Spring!

Rusty Mase
Old 22-02-2005, 08:50 PM
David

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:07:13 -0600, "David" wrote:

I've been in my house for about 2 years now and I remember the Spring

"Fall"
here in central Texas, but I can't remember when that's supposed to

occur.
Is this a March thing or an April thing?

I actually can't tell if you answered my question or not. I was actually
asking to see if anyone knows the approximate date that the oaks drop their
leaves in the spring. Any idea?

Thanks,
David

Old 23-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Victor Martinez

David wrote:
asking to see if anyone knows the approximate date that the oaks drop their
leaves in the spring. Any idea?

Ahh... so *that's* what you meant by spring "fall". Could've been more
specific...
The live oaks at work are currently dropping tons of leaves.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 23-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Jean Staffen

I've always heard that winter is officially over in this part of Texas when
the live oaks sprout their leaves.

Old 23-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Andyd

Depends on what type of oak. Live Oaks are dropping leaves right now,
and have been doing so for at least a month. Red Oaks dropped their
leaves in the fall and have been bare all winter, and will soon be
sprouting their leaves again. Not sure on Bur Oak, Water Oak, etc.
Other common trees in our area also drop their leaves at varying
times, if at all. Cedar Elms drop in the fall, I think. If you have
Chinese Tallow (we have a huge one the previous owner planted, my wife
won't let me remove it) they also lose their leaves in the fall, as do
a number of the other ornamentals (pears, etc.)

An aside, I am not sure about the comment on Mtn Laurels succumbing to
freeze last year, in our yard and in many places I went, last spring
was one of the best Mtn Laurel blooms I have seen in years here. Got
loads of seeds to try and plant now.

andyd

Old 23-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Texensis

wrote:

| I've been in my house for about 2 years now and I remember the
Spring
| "Fall"
| here in central Texas, but I can't remember when that's supposed
| occur.
| Is this a March thing or an April thing?
|
| I actually can't tell if you answered my question or not. I was
actually
| asking to see if anyone knows the approximate date that the oaks
drop their
| leaves in the spring. Any idea?
|
| Thanks,
| David

Our live oaks haven't started seriously dropping leaves yet; each tree
behaves a bit differently, but it's all beginning to begin. Redbuds
were showing color yesterday afternoon.

Old 23-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Tex John

I'm in SW Houston and the park across the street from me has over a dozen
big Live Oaks.

All the Live Oaks have at least some brown leaves and some have a bunch of
brown leaves with a bunch of leaves already on the ground. Now that I look
the entire park is peppered with fallen leaves.

The trees on my side of the road drop their leaves in fall, then the ones
across the street in spring...five months of leaf raking!!!

:)

But it is worth it for so many mature trees...

John
in Houston

Old 24-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Red

I will tell you that live oaks are just as individual as you and I are.
When I moved into this home in 1990 I was devastated the first spring when
the biggest oak on the property started to turn brown and drop all of it's
leaves, a full three weeks ahead of all the rest of the oaks (as I learned
later this was normal). Right now if you go up and down the street you will
see some live oaks that are bare and some which so no sign of dropping an
leaf. I went out to check my indicator oak the other day so I could prepare
for the time when I can expect all my neighbors to be putting their bags of
potential compost on the curb for me to pick up. My indicator tree has
dropped all of it's leaves, which means in the next two weeks I will be out
competing with the garbage collectors for the spoils

..

Old 25-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Harold Robbins

wrote:

| I've been in my house for about 2 years now and I remember the
Spring
| "Fall"
| here in central Texas, but I can't remember when that's supposed
| occur.
| Is this a March thing or an April thing?
|
| I actually can't tell if you answered my question or not. I was
actually
| asking to see if anyone knows the approximate date that the oaks
drop their
| leaves in the spring. Any idea?
|
| Thanks,
| David

Our live oaks haven't started seriously dropping leaves yet; each tree
behaves a bit differently, but it's all beginning to begin. Redbuds
were showing color yesterday afternoon.

I've seen the mountain laurels and live oaks with the pale green leaves
showing new growth. But most gloriously, the Texas bluebonnet has shown
up here in Austin. I took a picture of eight blossom stalks less than
an hour ago. That's really the first real sign of spring.

Harold