Old 03-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Jean Staffen

Default Mystery tree

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jstaff...bum?.dir=/1212

At the house I just moved out of, I had lots of trees with leaves like the
ones in this picture. The trunks were varigated and looked like a giraff.
They came up by themselves and grew very fast. They would make a good bush
or tree.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Suzie-Q

-
- At the house I just moved out of, I had lots of trees with leaves like the
- ones in this picture. The trunks were varigated and looked like a giraff.
- They came up by themselves and grew very fast. They would make a good bush
- or tree.

Hi Jean!

I got this:
The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.
Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.

I did "sign in and try again," but got the same error.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
dt

"Jean Staffen" wrote:

- http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jstaff...bum?.dir=/1212
-
- At the house I just moved out of, I had lots of trees with leaves like the
- ones in this picture. The trunks were varigated and looked like a giraff.
- They came up by themselves and grew very fast. They would make a good bush
- or tree.

Hi Jean!

I got this:
The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.
Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.

I did "sign in and try again," but got the same error.

Me, too.

Jean, try going to http://tinypic.com/ and use the "Browse" button to
find the photo on your computer. Then click the "Host It" button, and
it will upload your photo to their server and return an address like:
http://tinypic.com/2002oi (photo of the great Grand Prairie blizzard of
'04).

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 03-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Jean Staffen

Thank you !!! Here's the link, sure hope someone can identify the tree.
Sorry I don't have better pictures. http://tinypic.com/200eo8

Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:53:27 -0600, "Jean Staffen"
wrote:
Thank you !!! Here's the link, sure hope someone can identify the tree.
Sorry I don't have better pictures. http://tinypic.com/200eo8

Paper Mulberry? If so, not a very desirable tree.

Rusty Mase

Old 03-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Jean Staffen

Close, but the bark on the trees in my yard were different. The design and
coloration of the bark on mine looked like a giraffe's coat. And there was
no fruit or clumps produced by any of them. They were volunteers, grew fast
(from sprouts to 10' trees in three years), took no care, produced shade and
were green. On a rented lot in a trailer park, that was good enough for me.
Just always wondered what the heck they were!

Old 03-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:01:38 -0600, "Jean Staffen"
wrote:

Close, but the bark on the trees in my yard were different. The design and
coloration of the bark on mine looked like a giraffe's coat. And there was
no fruit or clumps produced by any of them. They were volunteers, grew fast
(from sprouts to 10' trees in three years), took no care, produced shade and
were green. On a rented lot in a trailer park, that was good enough for me.
Just always wondered what the heck they were!

There are several imported mulberries, Paper, Fruitless, etc.. I
suspect it is one of those but if you are happy with it - then that's
the important element.

Sasafras can also have "mitten-shaped" leaves but it is not a fast
growing tree. Are you in Austin?

Rusty Mase
Old 04-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Jean Staffen

Yes, I lived in Austin when I had the trees on my lot. I now live in
Georgetown and I've not seen any of those trees anywhere else but on my lot.
Weird. But if I could find some I'd plant one in my new front yard.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Tex John

Looks like something a neighbor called a cigar tree or cigarette tree
(someone also called it a mulberry). A qiuck google wasn't very productive
tho.

Terribly invasive...neighbor planted one then five years later and two yards
away, half my yard would only grow these things. No grass -- they took up
all the water. And they grew so fast, keeping them mowed meant having all
these dried half-pencils poking out of the soil to stab your feet.

Like a Chinese Tallow or Arizona Ash or Golden Bamboo -- why would you
inflict them upon your neighbors?

[anonymous]
in Houston
aka The Noxious Weed Police who was reading an article just today about how
Florida imported Australian aphids and some other bug to try to fight off
the now-invasive problem they have with Melaleuca trees.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Jean Staffen

I found they were not hard to get rid of. Just pull them up or mow them
when they first come up and they go away. The only ones I had were the ones
I allowed to live. None of my neighbors had them. Maybe yours were
something else?

Old 04-03-2005, 02:41 AM
Jean Staffen

I found a good picture of the cigar tree at
http://www.garden-picture.com/fotose...gr/imggr8.html
No, that's not the same tree I had in my yard in Austin.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:58 AM
cat daddy

White Mulberry ?
http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/her...s/moralb01.htm

Old 04-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Tex John

Probably so if you could get rid of them that easilly! Me, I'd pull one up,
and yank, and pull, and three feet of runner later, hit another one, and
pull and pull :)