Old 12-03-2005, 05:32 AM

Default vegetables and deer

I want to start a vegetable garden but I live in deer country near
Dripping Springs. I read in the archives that homemade pepper sprays
work well to repel deer. I also know they don't like rosemary and
other fragrant shrubs. Any opinions on how well it would work to hedge
the entire garden with rosemary and other large shrubs?

thanks,
--steve

Old 12-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Red

A big fence is the only way. If you want to try pepper you can get ground
dried Habanero peppers from http://www.redsavina.com/ . I would be
concerned that the pepper would carry over to the vegetable themselves. I
have tried most everything and have yet to find anything that will always
work except the fence. Take that back, I haven't tried the motion detector
water sprinklers nor the electric fence. Good luck.

oups.com...

Old 12-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Katra

I've heard of some very bad experiences with hotwires... ;-)
Deer are SO stupid!

I s'pose two very low to the ground hotwires might be safe, but
sometimes the sting of a hotwire at a higher level seem to panic a deer
and they get all tangled up in it and run off with your entire fence!

In article ,
"Red" wrote:

A big fence is the only way. If you want to try pepper you can get ground
dried Habanero peppers from http://www.redsavina.com/ . I would be
concerned that the pepper would carry over to the vegetable themselves. I
have tried most everything and have yet to find anything that will always
work except the fence. Take that back, I haven't tried the motion detector
water sprinklers nor the electric fence. Good luck.

oups.com...

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 13-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Robbin

An electric fence will not electrocute anything. It shocks, it doesn't
electrocute.

"escape" wrote in message
and die a torturous death by electrocution.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:40:26 -0600, Katra

opined:

"Red" wrote:

A big fence is the only way. If you want to try pepper you can get

ground
dried Habanero peppers from http://www.redsavina.com/ . I would be
concerned that the pepper would carry over to the vegetable themselves.

have tried most everything and have yet to find anything that will

always
work except the fence. Take that back, I haven't tried the motion

detector
water sprinklers nor the electric fence. Good luck.

oups.com...

Old 13-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Katra

No...
Al said when the deer ripped out his fence, it ripped out the
transformer too!

The deer more likely died an even longer, slower death by strangulation
or worse, being unable to untangle itself from the wire wrapped around
it and dragging behind it. :-P

"Red" wrote:

A big fence is the only way. If you want to try pepper you can get ground
dried Habanero peppers from http://www.redsavina.com/ . I would be
concerned that the pepper would carry over to the vegetable themselves. I
have tried most everything and have yet to find anything that will always
work except the fence. Take that back, I haven't tried the motion
detector
water sprinklers nor the electric fence. Good luck.

oups.com...

Old 13-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Red" wrote:

I think I will try the wire.

If you are serious, use it low to the ground.
Otherwise, you will just be wasting your money in the long run!

I knew a deer rehabber in Wimberly that successfully kept deer out of
her landscaped beds using hotwires, but there were a pair of wires, one
about 6 inches up and the second 12 inches up. Due to her rehabbing
activities, she had a number of semi-tame deer on her property.

The people that seem to run into trouble are the ones that try a higher
fence, say, 24 to 36 inches off the ground.

Good luck and be sure to post your results!!!
--
K.
Old 14-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Red

When I moved in to this house there was not a deer problem. I used to grow
roses and a huge vegetable garden without any problem, so I have to assume
the deer are the ones who have moved in on me. They pop out twins twice a
year and there is no control. Not unusual to see 20 in the back any
evening. I realize they have been surrounded by the development but that
doesn't help the problem. I think they should be trapped and moved or
eliminated by any means. This is no longer a country setting. We are 5
miles inside the city limits now and it is not a place where deer or other
wild life are acceptable. Don't tell me they were here first. The deer
that were here when I moved in are long gone. These are the ones that have
come along in the mean time. I have never loved deer except when fried in
onions. I don't expect any solution to this problem but I certainly wish
some of the elected officials would get a bit of back bone and address the
problem.

"escape" wrote in message
Oh, that's a much better death. Either say, if people don't want deer
damage,
it's best to move to an area which is not known to have deer. I find it
hugely
insane for the people who move to areas because they love the deer, then
want to
kill them down the line when they don't over romanticize them any more.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:09:46 -0600, Katra
opined:

"Red" wrote:

A big fence is the only way. If you want to try pepper you can get
ground
dried Habanero peppers from http://www.redsavina.com/ . I would
be
concerned that the pepper would carry over to the vegetable
themselves. I
have tried most everything and have yet to find anything that will
always
work except the fence. Take that back, I haven't tried the motion
detector
water sprinklers nor the electric fence. Good luck.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to start a vegetable garden but I live in deer country near
Dripping Springs. I read in the archives that homemade pepper
sprays
work well to repel deer. I also know they don't like rosemary and
other fragrant shrubs. Any opinions on how well it would work to
hedge
the entire garden with rosemary and other large shrubs?

thanks,
--steve

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a
friend?

Old 14-03-2005, 04:17 AM
Cindy

"Red" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Isn't there a hunting season?

Cindy

Old 14-03-2005, 02:39 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Red" wrote:

[...]

I can empathize with you... ;-)
Deer grow fat and reproduce on well fertilized lawns.
The herd in my own area is growing!

Consider surrounding your entire property with a 6 ft. fence and
allowing a good medium to large sized dog free roam of the fenced area.

No deer ever jump into my yard which is patrolled by my border collie!

Your deer in your area are probably well fed.
I'd add some to my freezer in deer season if I were you!
I've never tried this, but I've read that a good cheap silencer can be
made by simply sticking a 2 liter soda bottle onto the end of the rifle
muzzle.... Never tried it tho'.

Then there are always crossbows. G
--
Om.

Old 14-03-2005, 02:40 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

"Red" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yeah, but not IN the city limits!!!

The discharge of firearms is illegal, plus you risk hitting a neighbors
house etc. in a closed area like that.

That's why it's not legal to shoot the pests in town. :-P

Learn to use a good compound bow!
--
Om.

Old 15-03-2005, 06:15 AM
David Smith

guys, lighten up this isn't a political forum, save the judgements for
another day, Yioi has a legit gardening problem and is asking for advise in
a gardening forum. Be constructive or be quiet.

David

"escape" wrote in message
I don't see it that way. I don't eat meat. I don't kill things to suit my
selfish needs at any cost and I disagree with your concepts. So, this goes
nowhere.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:48:06 GMT, "Red" opined:

[...]

. ..

"Red" wrote:

A big fence is the only way. If you want to try pepper you can get
ground
dried Habanero peppers from http://www.redsavina.com/ . I would
be
concerned that the pepper would carry over to the vegetable
themselves. I
have tried most everything and have yet to find anything that will
always
work except the fence. Take that back, I haven't tried the motion
detector
water sprinklers nor the electric fence. Good luck.

oups.com...

Old 16-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

I say get a 30/30 and buy a sausage maker. fresh tomato and dried deer...yum

While I agree with you, you cannot discharge a large firearm in city
limits. It'll get you arrested pretty quick. ;-)

BudK world wide sells a very nice crossbow...
Just better hit it in the right place if you want to bring it down right
away!