Old 23-03-2005, 02:42 PM
jojo

Default because I don't know who else to ask....

I'm asking here. If there is a better place, please let me know....

How (and when) do I get the birds out of my chimney?
I have a gas fireplace, and because I also have a toddler, we did not use
the fireplace
more than once or twice this winter...
Now...I think someone has moved in. Lots of chirping and such.

So, anyone have any ideas?
I have not been up there yet, and honestly, if they have eggs or babies, I
don't want to
do anything.
If they don't and are just constructing a new home, is there a way to get
them to leave?
How does one go about getting the nest out if they have started building.

Thanks,
jojo

Old 23-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:42:12 GMT, "jojo"
wrote:

How (and when) do I get the birds out of my chimney?

You may be stuck this year either being a landlord to these birds or
possibly being really cruel. I am assuming you have a masonry chimney
and swifts have moved in. My neighbors has one and I envy them.

If they are a problem to you then placing wire mesh over the top
opening is the only alternative. If you do it now, making sure they
are not in there at the time you put the wire over it like in the
early morning or late afternoon, you may be able to catch them prior
to finishing their nests and laying eggs.

Otherwise, make sure the damper is closed or stuff the bottom opening
of the chimney with crumpled newspaper to seal it. Now if you have a
metal chimney pipe I have no clue as to what is going on.

Rusty Mase
Old 24-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Katra

In article ,
"jojo" wrote:

I'm asking here. If there is a better place, please let me know....

How (and when) do I get the birds out of my chimney?
I have a gas fireplace, and because I also have a toddler, we did not use
the fireplace
more than once or twice this winter...
Now...I think someone has moved in. Lots of chirping and such.

So, anyone have any ideas?
I have not been up there yet, and honestly, if they have eggs or babies, I
don't want to
do anything.
If they don't and are just constructing a new home, is there a way to get
them to leave?
How does one go about getting the nest out if they have started building.

Thanks,
jojo

Give them 2 months to finish...
then cap the chimney with a screen top.
Some of the chimney sweep companies can help you,
just wait 'till they are done. ;-)

If they are swifts, it'd be too bad to move them, you could just allow
them to live there during the warmer nesting months when you are not
going to use the fireplace anyway!

Google for "chimney swifts". They are death on mosquitos and are a
threatened species due to lack of nesting sites!

You can also build them a permanent "tower" home to take the place of
your chimney.

Cool birds if that is what is in there, and it's likely!

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 24-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Harold Robbins

jojo wrote:

I'm asking here. If there is a better place, please let me know....

How (and when) do I get the birds out of my chimney?
I have a gas fireplace, and because I also have a toddler, we did not use
the fireplace
more than once or twice this winter...
Now...I think someone has moved in. Lots of chirping and such.

So, anyone have any ideas?
I have not been up there yet, and honestly, if they have eggs or babies, I
don't want to
do anything.
If they don't and are just constructing a new home, is there a way to get
them to leave?
How does one go about getting the nest out if they have started building.

Thanks,
jojo

When was the last time you had a chimney sweep clean out the chimney?
Ask him to check and clean out the chimney if needed. Let him know of
your concerns about not disturbing a nest. He may charge you but I
doubt much if he doesn't do anything more, but he is experienced with
the problem and will know how to proceed.

Harold

Old 25-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Texensis

If you have an old damperless fireplace, make sure to put sheet-metal
up to fully cover the opening of the fireplace into your house;
otherwise you'll have swifts flying everywhere, and they can perch on
vertical surfaces and they're very dodgy to catch.
m...