Old 29-03-2005, 05:33 PM
jan

Default perpetual spinach seeds

I am hoping someone knows of a local source for perpetual spinach seeds.
I have always had to order them as cannot find anyone in Austin and
surrounding areas that sell them. Would like to save the cost of shipping
and buy local. any help would be appreciated.
JAN
267-7574

Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

Its swisschard.
"jan" wrote in message
I am hoping someone knows of a local source for perpetual spinach seeds.
I have always had to order them as cannot find anyone in Austin and
surrounding areas that sell them. Would like to save the cost of shipping
and buy local. any help would be appreciated.
JAN
267-7574

Hmmmmmm... never heard of chard being called that!
Learn something new every day!

For anyone that wants to grow it and wants to "cheat",
The nursery on Manchaca ("It's about Thyme") has them in 4" pots and
they are the Bright Lights variety of rainbow chard. I bought a few and
they are doing very well!

I bought red chard in 4" pots from them last fall that lasted the winter
and 6 plants are giving me one meal per week for 2 people.

Gods I love chard!!!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
jan

I have planted the bright ligths chard and many other varieties but I like
Perpetual Spinach the best. Still looking for the seeds if anyone can help.
JAN

Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Tony

I did some further reading. Yours is actually not quite swiss chard..not
quite beet . It is something in between and I only see it available online.
The brightlights chard is a great one tho, very tasty and ornamental.
"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

Its swisschard.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:12 AM
steph

"jan" wrote in message
I am hoping someone knows of a local source for perpetual spinach seeds.
I have always had to order them as cannot find anyone in Austin and
surrounding areas that sell them. Would like to save the cost of shipping
and buy local. any help would be appreciated.
JAN
267-7574

Jan- when you go to your local nursery to make an enquiry, it sometimes

helps if you have the botanical name along. What you are looking for could
be what we call Silverbeet here in New Zealand. It's botanical name is 'Beta
Vulgaris'.But if what you are looking for is a spinach, you are
looking for'Spinacia Oleracea'. If you have a photograph or a drawing of it
( even if it means taking a book along to show them what you mean), or can
describe the plant and/or its growing requirements this will make your
search easier. If they don't have it in stock,they will be able to tell you
where and when you can get some.Or they should be able to order some of the
seeds for you.
Happy Gardening!
Steph

Old 06-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

I did some further reading. Yours is actually not quite swiss chard..not
quite beet . It is something in between and I only see it available online.
The brightlights chard is a great one tho, very tasty and ornamental.

Only on line? :-)
Well, I bought the red swiss chard in 4" pots from "It's About Thyme"
last fall for my winter garden.

Here is a pic of my most recent harvest of it last week. It looks very
similar to the red chard one can purchase in the "Sun Harvest" produce
section in South Austin, only not quite as large. I'm sure I could let
it get bigger before harvesting, but drool might not be good for the
plants. lol

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...chie1small.jpg

Serena (aka "Moochie") seemed to think it was pretty interesting too...

I'm regretting only putting in6 of those now.
That bunch made 2 nice servings.

I DO love beet greens! Similar flavor, but the texture is not quite as
tender IMHO.
--
K.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:21 PM
steph

'ruby chard' is the red silverbeet (beta vulgaris). Is said to withstand
heat better than the green type. Silverbeet planted in the hot summer months
will bolt to seed.
Steph
"Tony" wrote in message
Looks just like ruby chard.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Lilbit

I did a search online and found three seed companies in the U.S.
selling this seed, and several in the U.K.
Here is just one:
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/cg...t&_category=12
..
When in doubt, try Google!