Old 15-04-2005, 03:12 PM
John

Default mold or fungus on my new roses?

Hello group..
Got four hybrid roses which I planted about six weeks ago. Three of the
four are growing great and the Snowfire just opened it's first bud. I was
out there admiring it yesterday and noticed something white on the leaves
and got down for a closer look and discovered the white areas were fuzzy
like bread mold only white..I also noticed on the one not doing well there
were a bunch of very tiny lime green bugs..Aphids?
Anyone have a good treatment for these? I am sure I will have to get
something seperate for the two problems but don't want to run out and get
the wrong thing...

Thanks so much!!!
John

Old 16-04-2005, 04:45 PM

First answer, "I don't know."

Second answer: "I've used the same "oilicide" for aphids on several
ornamentals."

Third answer: The reason I love roses is that, for me at least, they thrive
on neglect.
Chick has plants she has to nurture like a toddler. She has potted plants
requiring
all kinds of care... treatment for this, treatment for that, put in the sun,
take out of
the sun, bring in if the temperature is going below forty, bring in if the
temperature
is going below thirty, feed this at one time, water once a day, water only
once a
week... etc., etc., etc.

My favorite plants are two rose bushes in a bed just out of sight beyond the
low
brick wall along the side of the carport. Out of sight, out of mind. Good
place to
put the pine needles.

For decades those two bushes have just sat there, minding their own business
and
asking nothing from anybody. They don't bloom a lot, but from some reason
in
the early spring and in the fall, they make one bloom each that is at least
twice the
size of all the other blooms. Without having been noticed, they will have
shot up
one or two longer than all the rest stems, and at the end will be a HUGE
bloom,
the sight of which has caused strangers to stop their motor vehicles and
come up
to ask us what kind of roses those are.

Beats the heck outa' me. They were there when we bought the house,
thirty-five
years ago.

"What do you feed them?" strangers ask.

"Pine straw."

Oh, yes. And, also, "The grinds from the coffee maker."

Old 16-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Tex John

Saf-R 3-in-1 from Home Depot. It is a Neem-based (meaning organic tho with
this product not non-toxic) and it works on fungus, bugs, you name it.

I use it for black spot on roses. It doesn't really kill it (not much does)
but spraying every few weeks keeps the spots down. And aphids it kills right
out. Most other bugs take a few days to die off but it will kill anything
that eats the plant eventually.

Good luck,
John

Old 19-04-2005, 05:35 PM
John

Thanks for the information.
Got a fungicide says it's good for roses..Sprayed it on and it looked like
milk..Will see if it works..I bought it before I saw these posts..I had read
about the neem stuff was was afraid to use it as they are young and sit in
the sun and read somewheres that stuff can cause burns? Sorta like cocoa
butter on bare skin? maybe I read that wrong...
Thanks again!!
John

Old 19-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Tex John

Burns plants no more than water does.

What I was taught was no liquids on the leaves when temp is over 90 F. Acts
like a magnifying glass and burns spots on the leaves. I try not to, but
sometimes I do and I've never noticed burn marks.

As far as neem goes, you want to spray it when the wind is least anyway
which for me is usually late afternoon when I have the time.

John

Old 27-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Judd

I've burned rose leaves with neem. May have used it too strong. Try half of what is
recommended at first?

Potassium (sp) bicarbonate is good for fungus but you do have to apply it several times.

You can blast the aphids off with the hose. Then apply the neem.

For long term aphid prevention: plant chive, garlic, or onion next too the roses.
There is a book ("roses love garlic") which goes over this.
I planted a mix of ornamental chive, garlic and onions between the rose bushes.
Works great. And the garlic and onion have pretty flowers in the spring.
Periodically you have to pull up the garlic and onion as they get huge in the
nice rose soil. I just chopped up the root ball and replanted a quarter of the original.
Mulch or toss the remainder. They will stink up your garage. :-)

Judd