Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 AM
DM

Default Willow water?

I've read about using the water that cut up willow stems have been soaking
in for rooting other plants, has anyone had good results?
If so, does it depend on the type of willow?

Thanks in advance for any help
-daim
Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Danny

The Texas Rose Rustlers have a web-site on propagation of roses where they
recommend the willow water method. Check out
http://www.texasroserustlers.org/ and follow the link on propagation of
roses. I personally dont know whether that method works but those are some
pretty "heavy duty" rose folks so I imagine there is something to it.

I wonder where I can get some willow branches. Here in southwest Austin
there are tons of oaks, cedars, hackberries, etc. but I dont recall seeing a
willow tree in these parts.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Cindy

DM wrote:
I've read about using the water that cut up willow stems have been
soaking in for rooting other plants, has anyone had good results?
If so, does it depend on the type of willow?

Thanks in advance for any help
-daim

My mom swears by it.

Cindy

Old 01-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Danny" wrote:

The Texas Rose Rustlers have a web-site on propagation of roses where they
recommend the willow water method. Check out
http://www.texasroserustlers.org/ and follow the link on propagation of
roses. I personally dont know whether that method works but those are some
pretty "heavy duty" rose folks so I imagine there is something to it.

I wonder where I can get some willow branches. Here in southwest Austin
there are tons of oaks, cedars, hackberries, etc. but I dont recall seeing a
willow tree in these parts.

Try down near the river.
I know where there is one in San Marcos.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 02-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Tex John

Any easilly-rooting willow...all you want are the hormones (if I recall
correctly) the easy-rooters have in abundance. Weeping Willows can be hard
to find around Austin, but Black Willows grow right next to the Hackberries
along every creek and drain around that doesn't get mowed.

If you want to collect enough for a couple of batches, keep the unused whips
in a 5 gallon bucket of water. I've had them live through a winter that way
and come back in the spring after having been frozen. Just watch out for
mosquito larvae.

hth
John

Old 03-05-2005, 09:26 AM
DM

Thanks for all the replys. I cut some willow branches today to try it out.
-daim

"Tex John" wrote in
: