Old 16-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Katra

Default It ain't fruit Victor! ;-)

A few weeks ago, I posted about 3 "new" passion vines sprouting out of
the ground in the vicinity of the large pot I originally planted the two
vines in... I suspected that they were ground runners since the root
system HAS grown out of the bottom of the pot and into the ground.

Victor, you posted that it was most likely from fruits even tho' I've
not seen a single fruit. The vine is blooming profusely and I have yet
to see a single fruit, even from the blooms that I hand-pollinated. I
was dubious about your idea, but went with it anyway since I'm
inexperienced with this plant.

I know for a fact these vines are cuttings/clones and might even be
second or third generation clones, so they may never fruit. I understand
that there can be fruiting issues with generation clones?

Anyway, I know for sure the new vines are not from fruit now, as there
are 3 brand new passion vines coming up from the ground INSIDE of my
greenhouse! lol This vine is in a large pot outside of the greenhouse
and there would be no way for any fruit to "drop" on the ground inside
of it. The vines are coming up about 3 to 4 feet away from the pot.

Looks like it's time to do some digging....

At the rate it's growing, it's going to take over the yard unless I do
some agressive pruning. I'm allowing it to climb up the cedar tree.

I plan to dig the volunteer vines up and plant them on the fence out
front. These sure appear to be happy and healthy in this soil, and I've
had limited luck with the English Ivy out front covering my wire fence
for privacy so maybe the passion vine will do it. If the rootlings turn
out to be anywhere NEAR as fast growing as these two parent vines, it
should cover the fence by the end of next year.

I might be able to offer some for trade or sale too if this keeps up!

Anyone ever had any luck air layering passion vine for propagation? I'm
doubting now that I'll ever get fruit or seeds from this vine...

It's P. Caerulea or Blue passion flower.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 16-05-2005, 03:49 AM
jOhN

Katra wrote:
[...]

My wife liked passion flower so I planted one about 15 years ago. Now
that it's popping up as far as 50ft from the original and grows visibly
day to day I look at it a wee bit differently.

I probably pull 200-300 "pop-ups" a growing season these days to keep my
house from being featured on Ripley's Believe It Or Not. It is mixed
extensively with a bunch of crossvine so something like roundup is
pretty hard to apply to any effect.

We have reached a mutual understanding....it grows where it wants and I
try to keep it from taking over the world. Thank Mother Earth it freezes
back each year.

Aside from the showy and exotic flowers it has the benefit of attracting
a specific orange and black butterfly in quantity.
Old 16-05-2005, 04:34 AM
Katra

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

My wife liked passion flower so I planted one about 15 years ago. Now
that it's popping up as far as 50ft from the original and grows visibly
day to day I look at it a wee bit differently.

I probably pull 200-300 "pop-ups" a growing season these days to keep my
house from being featured on Ripley's Believe It Or Not. It is mixed
extensively with a bunch of crossvine so something like roundup is
pretty hard to apply to any effect.

ROFL!!! I'm beginning to suspect I might end up with the same problem!
I swear this stuff is going to be as bad as Kudzu...

We have reached a mutual understanding....it grows where it wants and I
try to keep it from taking over the world. Thank Mother Earth it freezes
back each year.

Funny, I almost titled that post "The alien vine that ate my yard". ;-D

Aside from the showy and exotic flowers it has the benefit of attracting
a specific orange and black butterfly in quantity.

Now THAT I am looking forward to! It is blooming very well now with only
a few actually blooming per day, but has hundreds of buds promising
more. I only planted 2 vines late last summer. This is, with the
exception of wild Muscadine grape, the most invasive plant I've ever put
in even over and above the Confederate Jasmine!

Old 16-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Victor, you posted that it was most likely from fruits even tho' I've

Yeah, but later in that thread I learned they spread by runners too.
Which is why we pull out half a dozen volunteers every week.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 16-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Katra

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Katra wrote:
Victor, you posted that it was most likely from fruits even tho' I've

Yeah, but later in that thread I learned they spread by runners too.
Which is why we pull out half a dozen volunteers every week.

So you are having the same problem I am... lol
I know it's runners when the silly things start coming up INSIDE of the
greenhouse!

I swear these things are from outer space....

Old 16-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Katra

In article ,
escape wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:35:00 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Katra wrote:
Victor, you posted that it was most likely from fruits even tho' I've

Yeah, but later in that thread I learned they spread by runners too.
Which is why we pull out half a dozen volunteers every week.

But why oh why don't they ever come back up where they originated!!!!!!!!!!!

I just yesterday found several in some pretty poor places. So, I had to amend
that and make it a good place with intention. Can't go without my passion
flowers. I have a very small white flowered variety called Passiflora feotida
or is it foetida? It's native, I think.

Victoria

I'd like to get some of the large red ones......

Kat

Old 17-05-2005, 09:48 PM
John

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Katra wrote:
Victor, you posted that it was most likely from fruits even tho' I've

Yeah, but later in that thread I learned they spread by runners too.
Which is why we pull out half a dozen volunteers every week.

So you are having the same problem I am... lol
I know it's runners when the silly things start coming up INSIDE of the
greenhouse!

I swear these things are from outer space....

I had one at our old house that came up everywhere including inside the
house!!!! I sure loved it though and put up with it's little pop ups till
the foundation repair guys somehow killed it..:-( Mine didn't fruit
though....

John

Old 17-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Katra

In article ,
escape wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:59:43 -0500, Katra
opined:

Katra wrote:
Victor, you posted that it was most likely from fruits even tho' I've

Yeah, but later in that thread I learned they spread by runners too.
Which is why we pull out half a dozen volunteers every week.

But why oh why don't they ever come back up where they
originated!!!!!!!!!!!

I just yesterday found several in some pretty poor places. So, I had to
amend
that and make it a good place with intention. Can't go without my
passion
flowers. I have a very small white flowered variety called Passiflora
feotida
or is it foetida? It's native, I think.

Victoria

I'd like to get some of the large red ones......

Kat

Believe it or not I've seen them sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Those for
sure
are native to Texas.

Oh! Cool! :-)
I'll keep a look out then.

Cheers!

Old 17-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Katra

In article ,
"John" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Katra wrote:
Victor, you posted that it was most likely from fruits even tho' I've

Yeah, but later in that thread I learned they spread by runners too.
Which is why we pull out half a dozen volunteers every week.

So you are having the same problem I am... lol
I know it's runners when the silly things start coming up INSIDE of the
greenhouse!

I swear these things are from outer space....

I had one at our old house that came up everywhere including inside the
house!!!! I sure loved it though and put up with it's little pop ups till
the foundation repair guys somehow killed it..:-( Mine didn't fruit
though....

John

Mine is not fruiting either...

Yes, I remember you talking about the foundation guys killing yours.
I've not done anything about the volunteer vines yet, but the plan is to
dig them up and pot them and see if they survive the transplantation.
That way I can put some on my front fence line.

If I can get them to live, would you like another one??? I can mail you
one. :-)

Old 17-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Cindy

I'd like to get some of the large red ones......

Kat

Believe it or not I've seen them sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Those
for sure are native to Texas.

Johnston Ventures off Rayford Rd. had them last year. They had 4 or 5
different varieties, but I haven't looked this year.

Cindy

Old 17-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

I'd like to get some of the large red ones......

Kat

Believe it or not I've seen them sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Those
for sure are native to Texas.

Johnston Ventures off Rayford Rd. had them last year. They had 4 or 5
different varieties, but I haven't looked this year.

Cindy

I'm not familiar with that nursery,
I don't have an Austin phone book. Do you have a phone number?

Thanks!!!

Old 20-05-2005, 04:56 PM
John

Mine is not fruiting either...

Yes, I remember you talking about the foundation guys killing yours.
I've not done anything about the volunteer vines yet, but the plan is to
dig them up and pot them and see if they survive the transplantation.
That way I can put some on my front fence line.

If I can get them to live, would you like another one??? I can mail you
one. :-)
--

Hello Katra,
Not sure where I would put it..Everyplace I have that's good for vines I

Old 20-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Katra

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Mine is not fruiting either...

Yes, I remember you talking about the foundation guys killing yours.
I've not done anything about the volunteer vines yet, but the plan is to
dig them up and pot them and see if they survive the transplantation.
That way I can put some on my front fence line.

If I can get them to live, would you like another one??? I can mail you
one. :-)
--

Hello Katra,
Not sure where I would put it..Everyplace I have that's good for vines I
have stuff in place already..
Thanks a million though!!!
John

Boy do I know that feeling...... ;-)
I see plants I want, and noplace to put them nearly all the time as I'm
full up!

I had to get creative for the last 3 vining plants.
I used a 5 gallon pot with a buried central pillar trellis.

I have the passion vine in one (and it's since taken over the roof of
one greenhouse which is ok as it keeps it cooler in there during the
summer), Clematis in a second one and my wisteria in the third one.

When the Wisteria gets big enough, it'll probably be transplanted to the
base of one of the trees. Not sure where yet!

I planted those two Wisteria from seed and they are FINALLY taking off
now that they are 6 years old! I'm so thrilled!

Kat

Ain't love grand Padraig Garden Photos 1 23-12-2006 02:00 PM
Tomato ain't producing fruit! Layne Gardening 30 26-07-2005 02:29 PM
With Woody The Woodchuck, You Ain't Gonna Win BroJack Gardening 9 21-05-2004 05:04 PM
[IBC] Grace ain't my middle name ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 14-04-2004 10:02 PM
Rinkyting ain't got game Cereoid-UR12- Plant Science 0 02-08-2003 11:42 AM