Old 07-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Suzie-Q

Default Plant Recommendation

I'm looking for something to plant in the center of my front
yard. I'd like something perennial and flowering; a roundish
sort of shape; full grown around three-four feet high; the
area is full sun most of the day (some shade until about 10 a.m.).

It would be great if it was somewhat xeric and attracted
butterflies and hummingbirds, but that's not absolutely
necessary.

Thanks in advance.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Bourne Identity

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:44:23 GMT, Suzie-Q
wrote:

I'm looking for something to plant in the center of my front
yard. I'd like something perennial and flowering; a roundish
sort of shape; full grown around three-four feet high; the
area is full sun most of the day (some shade until about 10 a.m.).

It would be great if it was somewhat xeric and attracted
butterflies and hummingbirds, but that's not absolutely
necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Mexican bush sage
Lantana
Red Yucca
Ruellia
Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 PM
James Lee Johnson

Poliomintha longiflora aka "Mexican Oregano" likes full sun and blooms most
of the summer. Hummingbirds and butterflies love the blooms. It's usually
evergreen through mild Austin winters. A recommended xeric plant:

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html

While it can be used as an herb in cooking, this is not the same plant as
the culinary Mexican Oregano (Lippia graveolens) or the culinary
Mediterranean Oregano:

http://www.herbsociety-stu.org/Oregano.htm

jjhnsn

I'm not a Master Gardener, but I sleep with one.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

- In article ,
- Suzie-Q wrote:
-
- I'm looking for something to plant in the center of my front
- yard. I'd like something perennial and flowering; a roundish
- sort of shape; full grown around three-four feet high; the
- area is full sun most of the day (some shade until about 10 a.m.).
-
- It would be great if it was somewhat xeric and attracted
- butterflies and hummingbirds, but that's not absolutely
- necessary.
-
- Thanks in advance.
-
- Lantana.

I have a couple of lantanas in pots and I'm always amazed that they
survive the winter and come back in the spring. But they don't stay
green over the winter and that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Old 08-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Suzie-Q

In article . net,
"James Lee Johnson" wrote:

- Poliomintha longiflora aka "Mexican Oregano" likes full sun and blooms most
- of the summer. Hummingbirds and butterflies love the blooms. It's usually
- evergreen through mild Austin winters. A recommended xeric plant:
-
- http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html

Sounds like a good idea.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Old 08-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Suzie-Q

- wrote:
-
- I'm looking for something to plant in the center of my front
- yard. I'd like something perennial and flowering; a roundish
- sort of shape; full grown around three-four feet high; the
- area is full sun most of the day (some shade until about 10 a.m.).
-
- It would be great if it was somewhat xeric and attracted
- butterflies and hummingbirds, but that's not absolutely
- necessary.
-
- Thanks in advance.
-
- Mexican bush sage
- Lantana
- Red Yucca
- Ruellia

I'll have a look at them.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Old 08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
"Red" wrote:

- how about a plastic hydrangea, then you won't have to water it.

Ha ha.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Old 08-07-2005, 10:09 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Suzie-Q wrote:

In article . net,
"James Lee Johnson" wrote:

- Poliomintha longiflora aka "Mexican Oregano" likes full sun and blooms
most
- of the summer. Hummingbirds and butterflies love the blooms. It's usually
- evergreen through mild Austin winters. A recommended xeric plant:
-
- http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html

Sounds like a good idea.

I have one on the end of the row in my herb garden.

I second the recommendation. ;-)

It stayed green all winter and blooms all during the spring and early
summer.

And it smells nice, and I DO use it for cooking!

It started in a bitty 4" pot late last summer and is already 2' tall now.
--
Om.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Laura

I have an ornamental pomegrant (sp?) tree in my back yard. it stayed green
in the winter & has red flowers that produce fruit. .unfortunately you can't
eat it but the butterflies & hummingbird love it.
You can prune to maintain a shape you like.it hasn't gotten too big maybe
4ft at most

la

Old 09-07-2005, 07:33 AM
James Lee Johnson

"J Rob" wrote:
She refused to let us have any Madrone seedlings, though -- she knew
perfectly well we'd just kill them

Madrone trees are reportedly difficult if not impossible to propagate. I
don't like to think about how many of these wonderful trees in central Texas
are destroyed in the name of "land improvement".

jjhnsn

Old 09-07-2005, 08:08 PM
James Lee Johnson

"Suzie-Q" wrote:
I'm looking for something to plant in the center of my front
yard. I'd like something perennial and flowering; a roundish
sort of shape; full grown around three-four feet high; the
area is full sun most of the day (some shade until about 10 a.m.).

One thing is bothering me. Many of these recommendations, including mine,
are not really specimen plants that one would normally choose as a focal
plant in the center of the front yard. For example, I think it would be
easier to find a red yucca specimen suitable for use as a feature than a
Mexican oregano (my previous suggestion) which is bushy. To some extent,
your other criteria would limit the possibilities. Look at some pictures
and some actual mature plants, even if you are going to start small.

jjhnsn

Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"James Lee Johnson" wrote:

"Suzie-Q" wrote:
I'm looking for something to plant in the center of my front
yard. I'd like something perennial and flowering; a roundish
sort of shape; full grown around three-four feet high; the
area is full sun most of the day (some shade until about 10 a.m.).

One thing is bothering me. Many of these recommendations, including mine,
are not really specimen plants that one would normally choose as a focal
plant in the center of the front yard. For example, I think it would be
easier to find a red yucca specimen suitable for use as a feature than a
Mexican oregano (my previous suggestion) which is bushy. To some extent,
your other criteria would limit the possibilities. Look at some pictures
and some actual mature plants, even if you are going to start small.

jjhnsn

I dunno... A Mexican Oregano is bushy enough to be "shaped" and it's
evergreen and blooms for a good part of the year.

And it gets to be 3' to 4' tall. Pruning can make it the shape she
wants. She may want to plant 4 or 5 of them close together to get more
"bushiness".

They also grow fast and don't take much water.

Why would it not make a good focal plant? You could always plant
wandering jew around the base as a frame even tho' it freezes back in
the winter. Composting wandering jew keeps it alive.
--
Om.