Old 26-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Gardeners delight toms

Last year I was too late to sow so bought 6 plants, fruits were large and
with poor taste, definitely not GD so this year bought seed and raised some
plants (Unwins I think) and guess what, again large fruits hopefully they
taste better than last years. Anyone else got these large GD and is there
any reason for the change?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-07-2005, 12:33 PM
cineman

Could depend what you ae feeding them on
Gardeners delight should be cherry tomatoes.
a lot about growing tomatoes at this site
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...y_1_tomato.asp

Also including amongst the pages is a recipe for bolognaise sauce
not tried it tho.
regards
Cineman

Old 27-07-2005, 12:41 PM
cineman

Another site for gardeners delight tromatoes plus other stuff and its
organic I can say there is a difference in taste as i grow organic G.D. Toms
http://www.theorganicfarmersmarket.c...s&prodid=73 0

Old 27-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Charlie Pridham

"cineman" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I know they are supposed to be cherry toms, that's what I am whingeing
about, they are not (second year running) as for feeding, I don't give them
anything.
I was really trying to discover whether it's a problem others have had or
whether I have been unlucky and got contaminated seed two years running.

Old 27-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"cineman" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

The Gardeners' Delight I've grown for the last six or seven years have
been very big for cherry tomatoes. They have been much larger than
Sungold, for example, but quite a lot smaller than a non-cherry tomato
like Shirley.
I'm just wondering exactly what size they're supposed to be. I assume
you mean that the two lots you've had recently have been really big.
Janet

Old 27-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Draven

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Last year I was too late to sow so bought 6 plants, fruits were large and
with poor taste, definitely not GD so this year bought seed and raised
some
plants (Unwins I think) and guess what, again large fruits hopefully they
taste better than last years. Anyone else got these large GD and is there
any reason for the change?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I find GD very variable in size but they still taste great.

Old 27-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Kathryn

Mine look ok, not Unwins though, one of the 69p value packs from the
local hardware store. Perhaps you could email Unwins and see whether
they got mixed up?

Old 28-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"cineman" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

The Gardeners' Delight I've grown for the last six or seven years have
been very big for cherry tomatoes. They have been much larger than
Sungold, for example, but quite a lot smaller than a non-cherry tomato
like Shirley.
I'm just wondering exactly what size they're supposed to be. I assume
you mean that the two lots you've had recently have been really big.
Janet

Sort of size I used to get growing money-maker, but interesting about the
variable size, it may be last year was a bad year for toms and this year
will be ok :~)

Old 28-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Last year I was too late to sow so bought 6 plants, fruits were large

and
with poor taste, definitely not GD so this year bought seed and raised
some
plants (Unwins I think) and guess what, again large fruits hopefully

they
taste better than last years. Anyone else got these large GD and is

there
any reason for the change?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I find GD very variable in size but they still taste great.

My last years didn't but I now live in hope that this year will be better!
thanks for the info re size.

Old 31-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Galpin
writes

The Gardeners' Delight I've grown for the last six or seven years have
been very big for cherry tomatoes. They have been much larger than
Sungold, for example, but quite a lot smaller than a non-cherry tomato
like Shirley.
I'm just wondering exactly what size they're supposed to be. I assume
you mean that the two lots you've had recently have been really big.
Janet

Same here janet, I have always found gardeners delight to be larger than
those little tiny sweet ones you get with sweet 100 for example.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph