Old 04-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Tony Wood

Default Cherry Tree from stone?

Quick question to settle a disagreement:

Can you grow a cherry tree from a stone from a bought cherry or are the
stones (usually) sterile?

Tony.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Mike Lyle

michael adams wrote:
"Tony Wood" wrote in message
Quick question to settle a disagreement:

Can you grow a cherry tree from a stone from a bought cherry or

are
the stones (usually) sterile?

Tony.

Even if you can grow a cherry, its quite possible that the tree
might grow unacceptably large.

This is because the fruiting scions of many fruit trees are
grafted onto a rooting stock, dwarf, semi-dwarf, etc, which limits
the overall size of the tree. Both for reasons of space, and easier
harvesting.

Any tree grown from the fruit or cuttings from the upper part of
the tree above the graft, will produce a tree of the original size.

Are you sure of that statement about trees grown from the above-graft
fruit? The problem is surely that with almost all fruit trees you
don't know what you're going to get, because they're hybrids, and
often quite complex ones. The stock won't make any genetic input to
the fruit. But, in answer to the OP, I'd say the stones are almost
always fertile.

--
Mike.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Hazel

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Tony Wood" wrote in message
Quick question to settle a disagreement:

Can you grow a cherry tree from a stone from a bought cherry or are the
stones (usually) sterile?

Tony.

Even if you can grow a cherry, its quite possible that the tree
might grow unacceptably large.

This is because the fruiting scions of many fruit trees are
grafted onto a rooting stock, dwarf, semi-dwarf, etc, which limits
the overall size of the tree. Both for reasons of space, and easier
harvesting.

And for soil type

Hazel

Old 04-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REM
OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
michael adams wrote:
"Tony Wood" wrote in message
Quick question to settle a disagreement:

Can you grow a cherry tree from a stone from a bought cherry or

are
the stones (usually) sterile?

But, in answer to the OP, I'd say the stones are almost
always fertile.

If a plant is sterile, will it actually produce seeds? In other words,
is the presence of a stone (ie seed) a demonstration that the plant it
came off wasn't sterile, and therefore the stone is capable of
germinating (although the resulting tree will not be genetically
identical to the parent)
--
Kay

Old 04-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:28:12 +0100, Tony Wood
wrote:

Quick question to settle a disagreement:

Can you grow a cherry tree from a stone from a bought cherry or are the
stones (usually) sterile?

Tony.

Well, I have a cherry tree in a pot, about 20 years old, grown from a
shop-bought cherry. For the last 5 or so years it has flowered and
fruited, with no apparent pollinator nearby, and the fruit is quite
acceptable both to me and the birds. The tree is virtually a bonsai
and will stay so unless I move somewhere with a bigger garden, so I've
no idea how big it could grow.

Pam in Bristol

Old 04-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Mike Lyle

michael adams wrote:
[...]
That's correct. The rootstock doesn't make any genetic input
to the fruit. Because the fruiting system is already in place.

While conversly the fruiting scion above the graft doesn't make any
genetic input to root developement which governs the size of the
tree. Because that system is again, already in place.

However if a cutting is rooted from the fruiting scion from

anywhere
above the graft, this will then assume the rooting charactersitics

of
the original parent, however many generations back that was i.e the
scion could have been propogated on a series of differnt rootstocks
in the interim. Whatever those characteristics were. Because

there's
now no rooting system already in place.

Oops! I misunderstood: sorry. My mind was stuck on the question about
seeds, and I read too hastily.

--
Mike.