Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 PM
PDES

Default Aghhhh a mole!!!!

Newly landscaped garden finished two weeks ago, pond, waterfall, rockery -
the works....and a poxy mole!!! Every night we have to repair the damage
where he has travelled under the gravel beds and matting and emerged
somewhere else!

I've heard that the sonic things are useless and I am under instruction not
to kill it so can anyone offer me a solution? There's a virtual beer in
it!!!

Thanks,

David

Old 09-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Emrys Davies

"PDES" wrote in message
.. .
Newly landscaped garden finished two weeks ago, pond, waterfall,

rockery -
the works....and a poxy mole!!! Every night we have to repair the

damage
where he has travelled under the gravel beds and matting and emerged
somewhere else!

I've heard that the sonic things are useless and I am under

instruction not
to kill it so can anyone offer me a solution? There's a virtual beer

in
it!!!

Thanks,

David

In that case you will need to tolerate it and use the mole hills it
creates for compost or whatever because Mr Mole will not go away. He is
quite happy in those surroundings and you will need to come to terms
with his unsocial behaviour.

Some ideas he http://tinyurl.com/bz3yh

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
ned

"PDES" wrote in message
.. .
Newly landscaped garden finished two weeks ago, pond, waterfall,

rockery -
the works....and a poxy mole!!! Every night we have to repair the

damage
where he has travelled under the gravel beds and matting and emerged
somewhere else!

I've heard that the sonic things are useless and I am under

instruction not
to kill it so can anyone offer me a solution?

Sure. Wait till next spring and moley mating season. Moles have from 3
to 7 offspring.
Given the damage one can do, the carnage created from up to eight in
one small plot is enough to make anyone re-consider their attitude
towards conservation.
You should then have permission to search and destroy.

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/animals.html#mole
refers.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 08.08.2005

Old 10-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Jim Scott

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:20:19 GMT, PDES wrote:

Newly landscaped garden finished two weeks ago, pond, waterfall, rockery -
the works....and a poxy mole!!! Every night we have to repair the damage
where he has travelled under the gravel beds and matting and emerged
somewhere else!

I've heard that the sonic things are useless and I am under instruction not
to kill it so can anyone offer me a solution? There's a virtual beer in
it!!!

Thanks,

David

Moles do not like anything smelly. In the middle of the molehill, pour:
Jeyes Fluid, old sump oil, the aftershave that your mother-in-law bought
you last xmas etc etc. It won't kill them, but only send them next door )
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Old 10-08-2005, 12:41 AM
ned

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
[...]

:-))
The middle of the molehill is not the ideal spot. That is just where
surplus excavation material has been pushed to the surface and the
connection to the 'run' may become blocked off. The ideal spot is into
the main run between molehills and can be found by prodding for the
tunnel cavity with a sharp stick or rod.
That said, pouring oil and strong chemicals into the soil is not
likely to improve the soil quality. But you might get away with the
odd mothball.
:-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 08.08.2005

Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 AM
David Rance

In message , PDES
writes

Newly landscaped garden finished two weeks ago, pond, waterfall, rockery -
the works....and a poxy mole!!! Every night we have to repair the damage
where he has travelled under the gravel beds and matting and emerged
somewhere else!

I've heard that the sonic things are useless and I am under instruction not
to kill it so can anyone offer me a solution? There's a virtual beer in
it!!!

You should be so lucky! Only one? I've hundreds of the things.

Sorry not to be helpful but there is not a friendly way to get rid of
them. I once tried to drown them out but after pouring about twenty
gallons of water down one of their holes with no result whatsoever - not
even the water pouring out of another hole! - I gave up.

However, my neighbour has an effective way of dealing with them. It
sounds cruel but is in fact a kind killing because it is fast and the
mole doesn't suffer. He biffs them on the nose with a spade. Since their
noses are very sensitive the shock kills them instantly.

David

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Le Mesnil Villement, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Calvados, France |

Old 10-08-2005, 08:56 AM
John

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:13:33 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

In message , PDES
writes

[...]

Prick.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:26 PM
JB

wrote:

However, my neighbour has an effective way of dealing with them. It
sounds cruel but is in fact a kind killing because it is fast and the
mole doesn't suffer. He biffs them on the nose with a spade. Since their
noses are very sensitive the shock kills them instantly.

How does he catch them or get them into a position to do that in the
first place?

Old 10-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Stan The Man

In article , PDES
wrote:

Newly landscaped garden finished two weeks ago, pond, waterfall, rockery -
the works....and a poxy mole!!! Every night we have to repair the damage
where he has travelled under the gravel beds and matting and emerged
somewhere else!

I've heard that the sonic things are useless and I am under instruction not
to kill it so can anyone offer me a solution? There's a virtual beer in
it!!!

The moles in my lawn are dangerous. It's impossible to walk across the
lawn without the surface giving way with the consequent risk of an
ankle sprain or worse. I put up with them for a long time before
deciding they had to go. The garden is too big to make it worth my
while moving them a few metres. It was them or me. I tried most of the
known tricks including putting upturned wine bottles in the molehills,
pouring glass shards into a tunnel and even setting my own trap. None
worked so I did eventually call in the local molecatcher - a sensitive
and humane man with a great fondness and respect for moles.

He told me that it was now illegal to gas, poison or otherwise harm
moles inhumanely. The only legal way to dispose of them is to trap them
- and to lay the traps properly to ensure that they are killed
instantly. He surveyed my half acre lawn, riddled with tunnels and
molehills and declared that the damage was all being done by three
young moles whose mother occupies a far corner of the garden. He
advised against killing the mother since her place would simply be
taken by another but he set traps to catch the young moles - in places
that I would not have considered.

The next day he returned and each trap contained a dead mole. Price:
£45. Since then, which was three weeks ago, I haven't seen a molehill
even though it has rained plenty which usually makes them active.

No doubt I will have to do the same thing every year but I will kill
the young moles early in the season next year so that I can start to
rebuild my lawn.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Mike Lyle

Stan The Man wrote:
In article , PDES
wrote:

[...]

I'm not knocking any other gardener's approach to moles. Kill them
off humanely if you want to: they don't have our sense of the future
(which must be part of what pain is about), and they don't play
clock-golf or bowls on the lawn. If you want all that, knock 'em off.
But my own approach is "Hey, what the ****?" Next month, they'll be
gone. Meanwhile, you can congratulate yourself on your skill in
providing a healthy soil. Scoop up the molehills, and put the stuff
in your potting mix, or in the next top-dressing for the lawn.

--
Mike.

mole, vole smitty48 Edible Gardening 1 26-10-2003 01:32 AM
mole,vole, ? CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 2 15-03-2003 10:20 PM
Mole lairs: 4-5' deep? richard holmes Gardening 12 13-03-2003 03:44 PM
Mole deterrants tulip United Kingdom 17 17-11-2002 02:23 PM
Mole traps! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 3 21-10-2002 05:46 PM