Old 10-08-2005, 12:23 AM
p.mc

Default earwigs

Hi

I planted a young honeysuckle a few months ago, and it was growing really
nicely up against a fence till I noticed the foliage was being eaten. At
first I thought it was slugs, but I've never came across any, or noticed any
tracks, but on a night time raid I found it was covered in earwigs.
I killed as many as I could find, but there is always a few more each time I
inspect the plant and a lot of the leaves have been munched. Are they the
culprits of this tale, and if so, is there any tips or something to spray
the plant with to stop further damage.

Also I have a couple of bird feeders on the fence that finches and tits
mainly frequent, but I've never noticed them picking at the plant.

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Old 10-08-2005, 03:36 AM
p.mc

"p.mc" sigadd1to wrote in message
Hi

I planted a young honeysuckle a few months ago, and it was growing

really
nicely up against a fence till I noticed the foliage was being eaten. At
first I thought it was slugs, but I've never came across any, or noticed
any
tracks, but on a night time raid I found it was covered in earwigs.
I killed as many as I could find, but there is always a few more each

time
inspect the plant and a lot of the leaves have been munched. Are they

the
culprits of this tale, and if so, is there any tips or something to

spray
the plant with to stop further damage.

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

I would think its more likely its slug/snail or caterpillar damage, and

they
are then feeding on the damaged plant remains.

--
Tumbleweed

Hi Tumbleweed

I can see your point, because my mother has an established honeysuckle
plant, and I'm forever picking snails (but not slugs) off it when I go
visit.
But in my case, the plant is young and leggy on a bare fence with not a lot
of cover for snails or slugs, and as I said I've never come across
slugs or snails yet on my plant, even when at night and I'm picking slugs
off my spring onions, leeks and tomatoes.
It could have been caterpillars, but where do they go in the daytime, cause
I have never seen them either, but one thing is for sure, earwigs colonise
it in the evening...What do earwigs eat?

Regards
p.mc

Old 10-08-2005, 03:51 AM
p.mc

Well I think this answers the question

Young plant,wooden fence...Time for bug spray

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0800/earwigs.asp

p.mc

Old 10-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Tumbleweed

live and learn. (me that is :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 10-08-2005, 11:30 AM
p.mc

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Tumbleweed wrote:

[...]

Yes. Earwigs might JUST feed on the very youngest growth and flower
buds, but even that isn't normal. They can't eat developed leaves
of plants like honeysuckle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi all

I don't think sprays or powder will do much good by what I've read. Another
factor I forgot to mention was bird feeders attract them aswell, and I have
three on that fence. I think it's a case of night time killing spree, and
hope the plant recovers and matures.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:32 PM
p.mc

I don't think the earwigs will damage your honeysuckle at all, apart
from leaving - er - messages. I certainly have no trouble with them on
my honeysuckle - they're there, but they do no harm.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

But is your plant young and tender? Which is one of the factors of earwigs
tastes.

--
Regards
p.mc

Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
p.mc

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "p.mc" sigadd1to contains these words:

I don't think the earwigs will damage your honeysuckle at all, apart
from leaving - er - messages. I certainly have no trouble with them on
my honeysuckle - they're there, but they do no harm.

But is your plant young and tender? Which is one of the factors of

earwigs
tastes.

Some of it is - at the front end.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Hi all

I'm absolutley convinced it's earwigs. The plant is situated against a
wooden fence, planted in a fairly new bed I dug. I have 2 nest boxes on 2 of
the support posts, and after inspection last night I found around 20 earwigs
behind each box. Some where actually in the hanging feeders, and the rest
had colonised the plant. So once again I killed as many as possible.
I did find 2 slugs that night at ground level, just above a couple of hosta
(bulbs?) "I know they love them" ...And that is a rare find. Not a
catapillar in sight and the leaves are quite tattered, not like a catapillar
feeds.

The plants main stems are supported and tied against canes shaped like a
fan, and oddly enough the leaves at the top of the plant are affected the
most, weras the bottom ones are mint.
I've still to find a slug or snail on the plant yet, no doubt when it
matures an bushes out, I'll be more worried about the snails :-)

Old 11-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:26:48 +0000 (UTC), "p.mc" sigadd1to
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "p.mc" sigadd1to
contains these words:

[...]

Have you tried making an earwig trap?
Look at...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/nature/...lys_tips.shtml
Look at item 4 about dahlias.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-08-2005, 04:15 PM
p.mc

wrote:

[...]

Hi Pam

Thanks for that, I'm on to it right now.

--
Regards
p.mc

Earwigs Matt Bristol Orchids 7 26-11-2003 05:06 PM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
Peanut Oil to Battle Earwigs? Fleemo Gardening 6 01-05-2003 08:56 PM
Earwigs on my Lemon Tree Chris Warr Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Earwigs arien Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:33 AM