GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Global warming? "Evidence" from my garden? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101593-global-warming-%22evidence%22-my-garden.html)

Mike Lyle 22-08-2005 02:59 PM

Alan Holmes wrote:
"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:53:26 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message

[...]
that there is a single predominant cycle.

Quite. I favour Velocette, but others like Triumph...

I've always had Raleigh.

They always seemed to get your coat wet when going through puddles,
though.

--
Mike.

Nick Maclaren 22-08-2005 05:41 PM

This will be my last post to this, er, gentleman on this topic.

In article ,
"michael adams" writes:

| Who's getting anything mangled Mr MacLaren ?

You are. Repeatedly.

| As has already been pointed out to you more than once, this
| is what Professor Saunders is quoted as saying on the BBC
| Website.
|
| Nothing to do with the "Guardian" at all, Mr MacLaren.

Ah. Well, if you start off long postings with abuse, don't expect
people to read them. I failed to notice you had introduced a new
reference. If I had, I could have pointed out that you had made
a new mistake.

| It is a natural cycle of a period of about 50 or 60 years," Professor
| Saunders told the BBC News website.

The previous paragraph stated what 'it' is:

The forecast spate of hurricanes in 2005 is part of a
multi-decadal cycle of fluctuating sea temperatures.

Yes, there are known, relatively stable cycles of fluctuating
sea temperatures, just as there is one of solar activity. It
is extremely unclear (nay, doubtful) that the stability of the
cycles is more than a temporary phenomenon, but something that
repeats more than once (even if with somewhat irregular timing)
can fairly be called a cycle. Do a Web search on 'el Nino' for
a the best known and most important of these.

I remain unconvinced about a 60 year cycle, but I have not looked
into that matter recently and don't know if there is any evidence
for it (there used not to be). But it isn't implausible.

This, however, has next to nothing to do with your original
claim, which was referring to European droughts and heatwaves.
There is very good evidence that they do NOT follow any regular
cycle, and adequate data going back centuries. There are known,
agreed meteorological reasons why relatively simple phenomena in
the Carribean do not cause simple phenomena in Europe.

Saunders will know all that, which is why he responded differently
to the different questions from the Guardian and BBC.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

BAC 22-08-2005 06:02 PM

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

snip

Saunders will know all that, which is why he responded differently
to the different questions from the Guardian and BBC.

The work of the group led by Prof Saunders is 'showcased' (apologies if that
is not the correct word) at
http://forecast.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/
which includes a 'Publications' page of links to refereed papers and
conference papers which, I suggest, might go some way to putting some flesh
on the necessarily very bare bones of the BBC article, for those who are
interested.

WaltA 22-08-2005 06:31 PM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:23:23 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Variously it was written:
I could also add that the observations from previous
centuries are quite good enough in quality to debunk the theory
that there is a single predominant cycle.
Quite. I favour Velocette, but others like Triumph...
I read on teletext today that some ladies are cycling around england on
Harley-Davidson bikes.
I wasn't aware that they made bicycles!

I bet they have some thised thighs if they pedal them.
I wasn't aware that they made bikes !
( motorised armchairs, more like)
mallards

Bring back my trusty Comet and Rapide ,, I wish,,,,sigh,,,

Ah. Now you're talking. I hanker. (Though my Shadow was all packed with
Lightning internals...)

Great stuff ! My Rapide had a Shadow inside, but outside I decided not
to add a Shadow 'clock', nor badges, cos it might have attracted
unwelcome 'admiration',

swoon

WaltA 22-08-2005 06:32 PM

martin wrote:
(WaltA) wrote:
PS Those ladies must have strong legs then, not to mention the thighs
and,,,

... predictable cycles?

:-) !
predictable ?
You are the Pope and I claim my 5quid :)

Jaques d'Alltrades 22-08-2005 07:29 PM

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Ah. Now you're talking. I hanker. (Though my Shadow was all packed with
Lightning internals...)

Great stuff ! My Rapide had a Shadow inside, but outside I decided not
to add a Shadow 'clock', nor badges, cos it might have attracted
unwelcome 'admiration',

AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's. (Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

HRD used to test each enginr on a brake, and the ones which came up to
scratch power-wise were painted black and went out as Shadows. Those
which didn't were sold as Rapides. However, if a Rapide had failed the
test because it was a tad tight, once it had run in it was very often
better than a lot of Shadows.

There may have been a difference in the gearbox internals though, as the
Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

WaltA 22-08-2005 08:13 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:29:17 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's.

choke of carb for one.
ummm, mist of time,, was it inch&1/8 for R and inch&1/4 for S ( or
perhaps it was inch&1/4 vs. inch&1/2 ?)
Compression ratio as well ( or was that just a progression of time
thing ? After all, I had just upgraded from an HRD. (as in HRD not
HRD-Vincent)
Hmmm, I may think of more, like wheel sizes varied quite a bit from
time to time and model to model ,,,,
Are 19" tyres still available I wonder, they were difficult to get
hold of at one time.

(Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

All mine also, as are a lot of my old braincells :-(

Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

Exactly, I ref. hon. gent. to my post earlier about mudguards. gert
heavy steel things with skirts on the R.

WaltA 22-08-2005 08:28 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:13:45 GMT,
(WaltA) wrote:

Exactly, I ref. hon. gent. to my post earlier about mudguards. gert
heavy steel things with skirts on the R.

Oh, that is odd, my apols.
you cant see the bit about mudguards and things in a previous post cos
it didnt get in !
How strange, it should have been just before the "swoon" bit,

I wonder where that went ,,, dear me,,,,this tea must be stronger than
I thought !

Kay 22-08-2005 08:32 PM

In article , michael adams
writes

snipped deeply hurtful remarks and cutting asides
about whistles, sharks, lifebelts etc etc etc

PCTKB?
--
Kay

WaltA 22-08-2005 08:46 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:28:10 +0200, martin wrote:

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:32:18 GMT,
(WaltA) wrote:

martin wrote:
(WaltA) wrote:
PS Those ladies must have strong legs then, not to mention the thighs
and,,,
... predictable cycles?

:-) !
predictable ?
You are the Pope and I claim my 5quid :)

Sorry to disappoint, but we only have papal bull left at this time of
year.

It's all smoke ;-)
(and maybe some mirrors as well)
If we thought hard enough we should be able to work in a unicycle here
somewhere ?

Jaques d'Alltrades 22-08-2005 09:27 PM

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

Oh dear!

The depths some people are prepared to sink to, in order to prevent
themselves from looking total idiots.

I think we've all got your drift.

snipped deeply hurtful remarks and cutting asides
about whistles, sharks, lifebelts etc etc etc

Janet.

I very much doubt that, somehow.

You appear to be totally lacking in any sense of humour whatsoever.

/snip/

Now that's funny, coming from you.

Jaques d'Alltrades 22-08-2005 09:33 PM

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:29:17 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's.

choke of carb for one.
ummm, mist of time,, was it inch&1/8 for R and inch&1/4 for S ( or
perhaps it was inch&1/4 vs. inch&1/2 ?)

Dunno - the Shadow/Lightning had GPs you could crawl down.

Compression ratio as well ( or was that just a progression of time
thing ? After all, I had just upgraded from an HRD. (as in HRD not
HRD-Vincent)
Hmmm, I may think of more, like wheel sizes varied quite a bit from
time to time and model to model ,,,,
Are 19" tyres still available I wonder, they were difficult to get
hold of at one time.

Yes. The series D Shadow had a 2·25" × 20" front IIRC

(Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

All mine also, as are a lot of my old braincells :-(

Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

Exactly, I ref. hon. gent. to my post earlier about mudguards. gert
heavy steel things with skirts on the R.

Well, the Black Prince had those. In fact, now you come to mention it,
mine was originally one of those enclosed thingies, later Shadowised
with ally guards, etc, then stuffed full of goodies.

Travis 22-08-2005 09:56 PM

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

Nick can explain the stats better than I, and I wish dear old
Franz were still with us to describe the physics, but I think
it's essentially correct to say it's a matter of what the
layman would call "averaging". A localised concentration does
nothing to detract from the principle applied globally; and,
very interestingly, according to catastrophe theory, may even
appear to produce a transitory effect _contrary_ to what a
global calculation would predict.

As demonstrated by the technology of paraffin refrigerators.

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin refrigerator
works. Anyone?

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Mike Lyle 22-08-2005 09:57 PM

Travis wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

Nick can explain the stats better than I, and I wish dear old
Franz were still with us to describe the physics, but I think
it's essentially correct to say it's a matter of what the
layman would call "averaging". A localised concentration does
nothing to detract from the principle applied globally; and,
very interestingly, according to catastrophe theory, may even
appear to produce a transitory effect _contrary_ to what a
global calculation would predict.

As demonstrated by the technology of paraffin refrigerators.

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin

refrigerator
works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

--
Mike.

WaltA 22-08-2005 10:03 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:33:51 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
snip nostalgia for brevity, all noted.
Well, the Black Prince had those. In fact, now you come to mention it,
mine was originally one of those enclosed thingies,

I had a feeling that you might be talking about the later D series.
Ah yes, the one in skirts :-))
As you say, "originally", but like you most real riders soon undressed
her.
and that transparent plastic thing in front meant you didn't get flys
& bees in yer beard like what real riders were supposed to have ,
heheee.

later Shadowised with ally guards,

Yep, I mentioned those as well in that post I managed to misfire !
(and now lost to posterity)
There was also a fancy stainless set as well wasn't there?
Or were they other supplier add-ons ? Tut, how my brain doth fade !

My first were series B - HRD, cos they were cheap s/h ( nobody wanted
them ! can you imagine ha ! ) then later series C Vincent-HRDs

Oh drool. You'll have me weeping into my beer soon, stoppit :-)

Enough of this, go look at my tree bark pictures for your pennance :)

Nick Maclaren 22-08-2005 10:36 PM

In article ,
martin wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:57:32 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Travis wrote:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin

refrigerator
works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

and for those who don't know ...

http://www.nh3tech.org/absorption.html

Ye gods! That explains why I was about to give the answer to how
one works: rather badly.

I had never looked up the physics before, but that isn't the sort
of technology that is ideal for the conditions we used them in.
Not field repairable? When transport from the nearest factory
takes several weeks? Not good news.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha 22-08-2005 10:49 PM

On 22/8/05 19:22, in article , "michael adams"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

snip
Ah. Well, if you start off long postings with abuse,

My heart bleeds for you.

It really does.

Good. Let's hope that means you're going to stop boring the us to death.
What a tedious little person you are.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Sacha 22-08-2005 10:52 PM

On 22/8/05 22:19, in article , "michael adams"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message

In article , michael adams
writes

snipped deeply hurtful remarks and cutting asides
about whistles, sharks, lifebelts etc etc etc

PCTKB?

--
Kay

You noticed ?

Indeed, I always find it the best strategy to adopt, when cut to
the quick by the rapier wit of the likes of Janet Barraclough,
to announce the fact to the world.

Not too much gets past you does it, eh Kay ?

Oh dear. The prat strikes again.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Travis 23-08-2005 05:33 AM

Mike Lyle wrote:
Travis wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

Nick can explain the stats better than I, and I wish dear
old Franz were still with us to describe the physics, but I
think it's essentially correct to say it's a matter of what
the layman would call "averaging". A localised
concentration does nothing to detract from the principle
applied globally; and, very interestingly, according to
catastrophe theory, may even appear to produce a transitory
effect _contrary_ to what a global calculation would
predict.

As demonstrated by the technology of paraffin refrigerators.

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin
refrigerator works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get it.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Nick Maclaren 23-08-2005 08:29 AM

In article DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07,
Travis wrote:

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get it.

Not at any civilised temperature, it isn't. It is a liquid. You
are thinking of paraffin wax. Also don't confuse (liquid) paraffin
with liquid paraffin :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-08-2005 08:47 AM

The message c_qOe.9353$g47.2489@trnddc07
from "Travis" contains these words:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin refrigerator
works. Anyone?

Thermosyphon, like an Electrolux. They do gas ones, electric ones and
someone makes a paraffin one, probably Electrolux. There are also
gas/electric ones on the market, mainly for caravanners.

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-08-2005 08:49 AM

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Oh drool. You'll have me weeping into my beer soon, stoppit :-)

I also had an AJS 990 cc (?) Vee-twin side-valve for a while.

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-08-2005 08:52 AM

The message
from martin contains these words:

On the web there is a report about somebody who is no more after he
refilled a paraffin refrigerator with petrol.

On the web there is a report of someone else he is no more after fitting
his car with a JATO bottle and setting it off on a long, straight piece
of road.

But it's fiction.

Though amusing.

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-08-2005 08:54 AM

The message DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07
from "Travis" contains these words:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin
refrigerator works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get it.

'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through to
gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of the group
and is called kerosene in Transpondia.

Travis 23-08-2005 09:04 AM

Travis wrote:

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get
it.

Not at any civilised temperature, it isn't. It is a liquid. You
are thinking of paraffin wax. Also don't confuse (liquid) paraffin
with liquid paraffin :-)

So you mean what we call kerosene?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Travis 23-08-2005 09:14 AM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07
from "Travis" contains
these words:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin
refrigerator works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get
it.

'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through
to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of
the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.

Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a
visitor or fiance to the UK.

This is getting really weird.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Nick Maclaren 23-08-2005 09:46 AM

In article %VAOe.12345$g47.9087@trnddc07,
"Travis" writes:
| Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
|
| 'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through
| to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of
| the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.

Yup.

| Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a
| visitor or fiance to the UK.

It has been used to refer to our ex-colonies (especially the
rebellious ones) in north America for some time - on UK newsgroups.

| This is getting really weird.

Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 23-08-2005 09:53 AM

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from martin contains these words:
|
| On the web there is a report about somebody who is no more after he
| refilled a paraffin refrigerator with petrol.
|
| On the web there is a report of someone else he is no more after fitting
| his car with a JATO bottle and setting it off on a long, straight piece
| of road.
|
| But it's fiction.
|
| Though amusing.

Yes. The stories about people blowing themselves up by putting
petrol into paraffin equipment are not fiction, though. Not at
all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 23-08-2005 10:38 AM

In article ,
martin writes:
| On 23 Aug 2005 08:46:07 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| | This is getting really weird.
|
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
|
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here. They
aren't perverted, but are such independent thinkers that they have
little direct contact with the real world[*] or even uk.rec.gardening.
[*] As many authors have pointed out, the inside of ancient and
well-cluttered storage units, such as sheds and wardrobes, tends
to attach itself to other universes. Nobody knows why. This is
why things disappear and strange things appear in such units, and
accounts for the postings on uk.rec.sheds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ali Hopkins 23-08-2005 10:59 AM

martin writes:
| On 23 Aug 2005 08:46:07 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| | This is getting really weird.
|
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
|
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here. They
aren't perverted, but are such independent thinkers that they have
little direct contact with the real world[*] or even uk.rec.gardening.

[*] As many authors have pointed out, the inside of ancient and
well-cluttered storage units, such as sheds and wardrobes, tends
to attach itself to other universes. Nobody knows why. This is
why things disappear and strange things appear in such units, and
accounts for the postings on uk.rec.sheds.

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too. Then, RL got heck tick. But I like it here, so
I'll waft across now and then. :)

Ali

Guy King 23-08-2005 11:35 AM

The message

[*] As many authors have pointed out, the inside of ancient and
well-cluttered storage units, such as sheds and wardrobes, tends
to attach itself to other universes. Nobody knows why. This is
why things disappear and strange things appear in such units, and
accounts for the postings on uk.rec.sheds.

It also explains why the transitional imago stage between the embyryonic
paperclip and the adult coathanger is never seen - it occurs in another
fold. Ontological evidence suggests the "missing" stage looks like a
teaspoon, which accounts for where all the teaspoons go. They're only
here fleetingly from some other part of the manifold, and return to
their home when fully fledged.

--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

Richard Bos 23-08-2005 11:47 AM

Guy King wrote:

The message

[*] As many authors have pointed out, the inside of ancient and
well-cluttered storage units, such as sheds and wardrobes, tends
to attach itself to other universes. Nobody knows why. This is
why things disappear and strange things appear in such units, and
accounts for the postings on uk.rec.sheds.

It also explains why the transitional imago stage between the embyryonic
paperclip and the adult coathanger is never seen - it occurs in another
fold. Ontological evidence suggests the "missing" stage looks like a
teaspoon, which accounts for where all the teaspoons go.

No, we already know where teaspoons go. They migrate to cupboards
belonging to people like me, who don't take sugar in their tea.

Richard

WaltA 23-08-2005 11:47 AM

On 23 Aug 2005 09:38:48 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| | This is getting really weird.
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here.

Here ? Amongst us, now ?
shed
Can the minister explain how this was allowed to happen,
where were our border patrols?
Inside some huts drinking tea perhaps ? Consuming wild mushrooms
gathered from their gardens and compost heaps ?

What does the minister propose to do to rectify this situation.
I propose that he should immediately begin a program of super-shed
building to contain these miscreants.
In light of this dreadful dereliction of duty the minister should
consider his position !

They
aren't perverted, but are such independent thinkers that they have
little direct contact with the real world[*] or even uk.rec.gardening.

[*] As many authors have pointed out, the inside of ancient and
well-cluttered storage units, such as sheds and wardrobes, tends
to attach itself to other universes. Nobody knows why.

Mass, that is why. An excess of mass. Eventually so much mass
accumulates that a black hole is formed and the shed collapses in upon
itself. If the last item added was not aimed directly into the centre,
but entered with some angular momentum, then a rotating black hole
will be formed which will then reappear (*) at any time (past or
future) at any place in any universe.
(*) as a white hole after losing some mass by Hawking radiation.

Some poor souls have even tried to use this as a worm-hole to other
places and times by incorporating an extra door in the shed and
attempting to traverse the shed-hole within its Schwarzschild radius.
This inevitably ends in tears.
/shed

WaltA 23-08-2005 11:50 AM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:49:42 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Oh drool. You'll have me weeping into my beer soon, stoppit :-)

I also had an AJS 990 cc (?) Vee-twin side-valve for a while.

BSA Bantam Bushman 125cc(??)
1947 Hilman Minx sidevalve (capacity unremembered!)

delete
Note to self - dont tell him about the Triumph Cub.
/delete

Egbert Egret 23-08-2005 11:53 AM

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| | This is getting really weird.
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here.

Here ? Amongst us, now ?
shed
Can the minister explain how this was allowed to happen,
where were our border patrols?
Inside some huts drinking tea perhaps ? Consuming wild mushrooms
gathered from their gardens and compost heaps ?

What does the minister propose to do to rectify this situation.
I propose that he should immediately begin a program of super-shed
building to contain these miscreants.

The Miscreants are in uk.misc, over there --
unless somebody crossposts this thread over there as well.

--
Paul Clark you.missed - umist to reply
Where there's hope there's disappointment.

Mike 23-08-2005 11:58 AM

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:49:42 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Oh drool. You'll have me weeping into my beer soon, stoppit :-)

I also had an AJS 990 cc (?) Vee-twin side-valve for a while.

BSA Bantam Bushman 125cc(??)
1947 Hilman Minx sidevalve (capacity unremembered!)

delete
Note to self - dont tell him about the Triumph Cub.
/delete

Triumph Cub? Potent little 200cc jobby? My mate's used to leave my Lambretta
150LI standing :-(( and I mean standing as if I hadn't even started the
engine :-((

I did like the Triumph 21, the 350?cc bike. Saw one the other day :-))

WaltA 23-08-2005 12:06 PM

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| | This is getting really weird.
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here.

Here ? Amongst us, now ?
shed
Can the minister explain how this was allowed to happen,
where were our border patrols?
Inside some huts drinking tea perhaps ? Consuming wild mushrooms
gathered from their gardens and compost heaps ?

What does the minister propose to do to rectify this situation.
I propose that he should immediately begin a program of super-shed
building to contain these miscreants.

The Miscreants are in uk.misc, over there --
unless somebody crossposts this thread over there as well.

Oh no ! Anything but uk.misc,
said Brer Rabbit jumping into the briar patch

Psst, that's where his white-rabbit hole is, with exits into
multiverses.

Bernard Peek 23-08-2005 12:09 PM

In message , Ali Hopkins
writes

martin writes:
| On 23 Aug 2005 08:46:07 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| | This is getting really weird.
|
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
|
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here. They
aren't perverted, but are such independent thinkers that they have
little direct contact with the real world[*] or even uk.rec.gardening.

[*] As many authors have pointed out, the inside of ancient and
well-cluttered storage units, such as sheds and wardrobes, tends
to attach itself to other universes. Nobody knows why. This is
why things disappear and strange things appear in such units, and
accounts for the postings on uk.rec.sheds.

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too. Then, RL got heck tick. But I like it here, so
I'll waft across now and then. :)

Strange, the people you run into in the unlikeliest places.

--
Bernard Peek
In search of cognoscenti, again

WaltA 23-08-2005 12:10 PM

Oh drool. You'll have me weeping into my beer soon, stoppit :-)
I also had an AJS 990 cc (?) Vee-twin side-valve for a while.

BSA Bantam Bushman 125cc(??)
1947 Hilman Minx sidevalve (capacity unremembered!)
delete
Note to self - dont tell him about the Triumph Cub.
/delete

Triumph Cub? Potent little 200cc jobby?

175 ? 200? cant remember, something like that

My mate's used to leave my Lambretta

Lambretta !!!! Well but of course, nuff said :-))
Sry, coud'na resist :)

I did like the Triumph 21, the 350?cc bike. Saw one the other day :-))

The cub was my first and last Triumph.
I got a Comet after that.

Roger Hunt 23-08-2005 12:37 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, WaltA typed this :

Some poor souls have even tried to use this as a worm-hole to other
places and times by incorporating an extra door in the shed and
attempting to traverse the shed-hole within its Schwarzschild radius.
This inevitably ends in tears.

What sort of tears - those in the fabric of Space/Time or Boo-hoo?
Or both?
--
Roger Hunt