GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Global warming? "Evidence" from my garden? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101593-global-warming-%22evidence%22-my-garden.html)

Malc 24-08-2005 09:30 PM

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Egbert Egret contains these words:

Please explain then, why i can never find a teaspoon? I don't take
sugar
in tea, cocoa, etc (and don't drink coughy) and use very little in
anything else. (Except when I'm winemolishing, in which case I tend to
hfr a shovel.)

Then why do you need a teaspoon?

OK, smartarse, how do /you/ get earwax from your ear into the storage jar?

You get your servants to suck it out of course.

--
Malc

"Your mother can't climb stairs"
Dalek playground taunt

WaltA 24-08-2005 09:36 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:24:33 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Tony Davison wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:34:22 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message
from "Ali Hopkins" contains these words:

For measuring tea into the pot innit.

You are a deeply civilised bunny, imo.

Not as civilised as this...

http://gamilacompany.com/tea/teastick.html

Shpx me, a stainless steel re-useable tea bag. What will the think of next.

I've had various different versions of this over the last 20 years.
None werk so well as a well matured teapot.

Yep, I agree.
The problem with those gadgets is, I think, thermal capacity.

Present teapot holds 8
mugfuls, wot is more than the kettle. I need a kettle bigger than 3
pints wot switches itself off.

One can add extra boiling water to a pot of tea without detriment
provided that it is done quickly (ie soon after the first lot) and
that one has not drained the pot first.
Also it must be done quietly behind curtains.
hides behind shed door

Guy King 24-08-2005 09:45 PM

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Also it must be done quietly behind curtains.

Oh, like farting then?

--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

WaltA 24-08-2005 09:47 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:34:24 +0100, "Ali Hopkins"
wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

I've had various different versions of this over the last 20 years. None
werk so well as a well matured teapot. Present teapot holds 8 mugfuls,
wot is more than the kettle. I need a kettle bigger than 3 pints wot
switches itself off.

Have you considered an urn?

Morecambe
Nah Eric, we're too young for that, just yet.
/Wise

WaltA 24-08-2005 09:49 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:45:01 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Also it must be done quietly behind curtains.

Oh, like farting then?

Oh dear, is that why people have been looking at me ?
I've been doing it all wrong then :(

Guy King 24-08-2005 10:21 PM

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Also it must be done quietly behind curtains.

Oh, like farting then?

Oh dear, is that why people have been looking at me ?
I've been doing it all wrong then :(

Ah - there's not a lot of point in doing it quietly behind the curtains
if the game is given away by the drapes blowing in the breeze. You have
to throttle back as well.

David Reid 24-08-2005 10:40 PM

Guy King's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmers' guns to bring me the
following:
The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Also it must be done quietly behind curtains.

Oh, like farting then?

Oh dear, is that why people have been looking at me ?
I've been doing it all wrong then :(

Ah - there's not a lot of point in doing it quietly behind the curtains
if the game is given away by the drapes blowing in the breeze. You have
to throttle back as well.

You may also need one of the

http://www.over-the-counter.com/over...tfarfilun.html

Or a dog.

--
David Reid http://www.disarray.org.uk

Real men don't need to read instructions.

Ali Hopkins 24-08-2005 10:53 PM

"Malc" wrote in message
. uk...

"Ali Hopkins" wrote in message

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Tea bags is the anti-Char. Nearly as un frabjous as iced
tea.

I was on a Mercadian oil rig supply ship in the Gulf.. There were 2
chamines for dispensing beverages in the mess, both with those fishtank
thingies on top with go roundy thingmerts inside. Anyway, one contained
orange juice and the other contained what I took to be Cola. So I poured
meself a cup and took a big swig. UAB in spades, I nearly spat it all over
the floor.

It prolly would have cleaned it nicely.....

Ali

Bernard Peek 24-08-2005 10:57 PM

In message , Mike Jones
writes
Tony Davison wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:34:22 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message
from "Ali Hopkins" contains these words:

For measuring tea into the pot innit.

You are a deeply civilised bunny, imo.

Not as civilised as this...

http://gamilacompany.com/tea/teastick.html

Shpx me, a stainless steel re-useable tea bag. What will the think of
next.

And from leftpondia! (thobut at $20 a shot I'll stick to tea-bags)

They're not uncommon on this side of the pond either. They predate
teabags.

--
Bernard Peek

Richard Bos 25-08-2005 07:32 AM

Guy King wrote:

The message
from Egbert Egret contains these words:

Please explain then, why i can never find a teaspoon? I don't take sugar
in tea, cocoa, etc (and don't drink coughy) and use very little in
anything else. (Except when I'm winemolishing, in which case I tend to
hfr a shovel.)

Then why do you need a teaspoon?

OK, smartarse, how do /you/ get earwax from your ear into the storage jar?

With the screwdriver on a Victorinox, of course!

Richard

Guy King 25-08-2005 07:58 AM

The message
from (Richard Bos) contains these words:

OK, smartarse, how do /you/ get earwax from your ear into the storage jar?

With the screwdriver on a Victorinox, of course!

My uncle uses a retractable biro. When retracted it leaves a neat plug
of earwax ready to be popped out with the (k)nib.

Dave Larrington 25-08-2005 12:28 PM

Also sprach Tony Davison :

Shpx me, a stainless steel re-useable tea bag. What will the think of
next.

Uranium-enriched chocolate fireguards.

Wood is an excellent material for making trees, but is otherwise not to
be trusted.

Guy King 25-08-2005 04:26 PM

The message
from martin contains these words:

Euripades?

Eumenades.

Ali Hopkins 25-08-2005 06:09 PM

wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

I've had various different versions of this over the last 20 years. None
werk so well as a well matured teapot. Present teapot holds 8 mugfuls,
wot is more than the kettle. I need a kettle bigger than 3 pints wot
switches itself off.

Have you considered an urn?

(Short fat hairy legs, and paid about fifty drachma.)

Euripades?

You tear them, you pay for them.

Ali

Chris Naylor 25-08-2005 10:24 PM

In article ,
) muttered something along the lines of ...
Also sprach Mike Jones :
Dave Larrington wrote:
Also sprach Jaques d'Alltrades :
The message
from (Richard Bos) contains these words:

It also explains why the transitional imago stage between the
embyryonic paperclip and the adult coathanger is never seen - it
occurs in another fold. Ontological evidence suggests the
"missing" stage looks like a teaspoon, which accounts for where
all the teaspoons go.

No, we already know where teaspoons go. They migrate to cupboards
belonging to people like me, who don't take sugar in their tea.

Please explain then, why i can never find a teaspoon? I don't take
sugar in tea, cocoa, etc (and don't drink coughy) and use very
little in anything else. (Except when I'm winemolishing, in which
case I tend to hfr a shovel.)

There /is/ no spoon.

Whither spoon? (Oh look, half past opening time!)

Sounds like a case for...

url:
http://www.rathergood.com/spoonguard/

Made I larf even before it loaded as I unforgetted it from larst time I
saw it!
--
Chris Naylor
Remove your trousers to reply

Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.

Chris Hogg 26-08-2005 07:34 AM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:15:30 +0100, Bernard Peek
wrote:

Apart from recently being declared a diabetic I'm OK.

Then take a look at alt.support.diabetes and alt.support.diabetes.uk
if you don't already.

--
Chris

Austin Shackles 26-08-2005 09:16 AM

On or around Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:43:13 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
enlightened us thusly:

url:http://www.rathergood.com/spoonguard/

that's surreal.

I like "biscuits" from the main site navbar on the left.
If all be true that I do think, There are five reasons we should drink;
Good wine, a friend, or being dry, Or lest we should be by and by;
Or any other reason why. - Henry Aldrich (1647 - 1710)

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-08-2005 10:04 AM

The message
from Guy King contains these words:

Euripades?

Eumenades.

Gotohades?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Bernard Peek 26-08-2005 10:05 AM

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

Apart from recently being declared a diabetic I'm OK.

Then take a look at alt.support.diabetes and alt.support.diabetes.uk
if you don't already.

I already do, but thanks anyway. The best advice I can give to a new
diabetic is to talk to other diabetics. Which I do, some of them here in
the shed.

--
Bernard Peek

Guy King 26-08-2005 10:11 AM

The message
from Austin Shackles contains these words:

url:http://www.rathergood.com/spoonguard/

that's surreal.

I like "biscuits" from the main site navbar on the left.

I wish Flash (or Director, or whatever it is) things had a progress bar
so I could look at it and thing "Well, it's only about 30 seconds long,
it might improve" or "So this, it goes on for ages and aint' showing any
signs of getting better".

Guy King 26-08-2005 02:13 PM

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Euripades?

Eumenades.

Gotohades?

Gettafix

Ali Hopkins 26-08-2005 03:01 PM

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Euripades?
Eumenades.

Gotohades?

Gettafix

My thought too! Obelix, peut-etre?

Ali

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-08-2005 05:07 PM

The message
from Guy King contains these words:

Euripades?
Eumenades.

Gotohades?

Gettafix

Needlenoddlenoo

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-08-2005 05:08 PM

The message
from martin contains these words:

Euripades?
Eumenades.
Gotohades?
Gettafix

My thought too! Obelix, peut-etre?

parce que c'est possible?

Lart de possible...

Guy King 26-08-2005 07:02 PM

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Needlenoddlenoo

ITYM needlenardlenoo

Ron Clark 26-08-2005 08:36 PM

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:07:05 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote this (or the missive
included this):

The message
from Guy King contains these words:

Euripades?
Eumenades.
Gotohades?

Gettafix

Needlenoddlenoo

Knit!

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹

Sena 26-08-2005 09:57 PM

said...

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message .com
from "Malc" contains these words:

Dave Larrington wrote:

There /is/ no spoon.

A fish

Is that a fish, Al?

No, it's a quantum leap.

Salmon chanted, "Evening!"

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

Sena 27-08-2005 08:14 PM

said...
The message
from
(WaltA) contains these words:

An excess of mass.

Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Groan. I have just got back from eating and drinking far too much (is
there any other way?) at TGI Friday's in Cardiff. I have partaken of
very little alcohol since such is unnecessary to enjoyment at TGIF;
however I have nonetheless allowed far more liquid than is good for me
to pass these lips and much too much food. The bill for the seven of us
came to more ZU than we currently have available but I don't care. Much
enjoyment has been had over vegetable fajitas and suchlike and for every
pound spent I feel a pound has attached itself to my middle. I feel
ill.

Sena 27-08-2005 08:15 PM

said...
Guy King wrote:

An excess of mass.

Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Good thing that those Sheddi are not naturists, I guess.

Um. No comment.

Sena 27-08-2005 08:15 PM

said...
Good thing that those Sheddi are not naturists, I guess.

:-)
Perish the thought !
A naked singularity in a shed !!

Guaranteed to clear beaches, in my case. I never could see the point of
getting dressed in order to get wet.

Sena 27-08-2005 08:17 PM

said...
The message
from "Ali Hopkins" contains these words:

Bring on the sonic screwdriver.

Mine's a pint.

And mine TAAW please. Fuller's Golden Pride is my latest discovery. At
8.5%vol it ought to be stronger than it apparently is; maybe I just
didn't drink enough of it.

Sena 27-08-2005 08:18 PM

said...
16 eh? And I thought our Ruth had lost the plot going for 8. Mined ewe,
when they came tripping down the aisle carring their posies I nearly
died of an acute attack of Aaaw-look-at-the-pretties-itis.

We're still waiting for the .jpgs...

Sena 27-08-2005 08:20 PM

said...
Each lass held a single white rose, with matching ribon. As they
went into their choir stalls in the curch, they gave the mums their
roses, and the bride's mum put them all together with the single

red
one the bride carried, so they made a posy of white roses with a
single dark red one in the miggle. Very cute all round. The

bride's
top was a rainbow! I also welded crystals all over her veil.

I don't feel very well.

It's not as ghastly as it sounds. ArKate's got some photies on her
wibble and the whole thing is actually rather good.

Pablo Guildenstern 27-08-2005 08:46 PM

Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Ali Hopkins said:

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too.

Thankyou.
Best CFV I ever did.

--
I'll run a diagnostic

Ali Hopkins 27-08-2005 10:05 PM

"Pablo Guildenstern" wrote in message
Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Ali Hopkins said:

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too.

Thankyou.
Best CFV I ever did.

I am in violent agreement on that. :)

Ali

Pablo Guildenstern 27-08-2005 10:24 PM

Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Ali Hopkins said:

"Pablo Guildenstern" wrote in message
Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Ali Hopkins said:

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too.

Thankyou.
Best CFV I ever did.

I am in violent agreement on that. :)

Ah, you saw how badly the other two ended up, then.
--
I'll run a diagnostic

Kate Dicey 28-08-2005 05:43 AM

Sena wrote:

It's not as ghastly as it sounds. ArKate's got some photies on her
wibble and the whole thing is actually rather good.

Fankooo. It were a seriously good fun project, if more than a little mad.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Nick Maclaren 28-08-2005 10:43 AM

In article ,
Ali Hopkins wrote:
"Pablo Guildenstern" wrote in message
. ..

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too.

I am in violent agreement on that. :)

uk.rec.gardening was a pretty successful one, too. It became an active
group almost immediately, and has not stopped since :-)

But, for sheer surrealism, uk.rec.sheds has no competition. Only
alt.aeffle.und.pferdle comes close.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Krane 28-08-2005 05:16 PM

In article ,
says...
said...
16 eh? And I thought our Ruth had lost the plot going for 8. Mined ewe,
when they came tripping down the aisle carring their posies I nearly
died of an acute attack of Aaaw-look-at-the-pretties-itis.

We're still waiting for the .jpgs...

Still not got the official photies, or the ones from the disposable
cameras, but here's something to tide you over

First a picture of us outside the church, I'm the blue blob towards the
right hand side.
http://www.lesbiangardens.net/shed/church%20door.JPG
Then there's this picture of the happy couple with their 8 bridesmaids
http://www.lesbiangardens.net/shed/maids4.JPG
3 of whom are my lovely nieces
http://www.lesbiangardens.net/shed/nieces.JPG
3 others are arj neices by marriage
http://www.lesbiangardens.net/shed/new%20nieces.JPG
and the other two are the matron of honour and her wee blond lass.

--

Krane

karen at lesbiangardens dot net

Krane 28-08-2005 05:25 PM

In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
said...
16 eh? And I thought our Ruth had lost the plot going for 8. Mined ewe,
when they came tripping down the aisle carring their posies I nearly
died of an acute attack of Aaaw-look-at-the-pretties-itis.

We're still waiting for the .jpgs...

Still not got the official photies, or the ones from the disposable
cameras, but here's something to tide you over

And then I forgot the most important picture, the three shot glasses
filled with tiramisu, triffle and chocolate mousse that we all got for
our afters at the reception.
http://www.lesbiangardens.net/shed/shots.JPG