Old 27-08-2005, 11:07 AM
FF

Default Dead fuchsia

Hi,

I posted a while back about my Fuchsia Riccartone dying off and had many
helpful answers. It's taken me till now to cut it right back with a view
to digging it up (it's big) and I've just found stems that are still
green in the middle, a little bit of new growth down at the bottom and
what look like half a dozen sports about 6 inches from the base of the
plant.

D'you think it's still alive? Can it recover from root rot if conditions
improve? (Granted, it *is* in the wrong place). Is there hope or should
I dig it up all the same?

Four of the 5 cuttings I took are doing very well on a windowsill.

Thanks

Liz
Old 27-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Kay

In article , FF
writes
Hi,

I posted a while back about my Fuchsia Riccartone dying off and had many
helpful answers. It's taken me till now to cut it right back with a view
to digging it up (it's big) and I've just found stems that are still
green in the middle, a little bit of new growth down at the bottom and
what look like half a dozen sports about 6 inches from the base of the
plant.

D'you think it's still alive?

If it's got new growth it's alive.

Can it recover from root rot if conditions
improve?

Yes

(Granted, it *is* in the wrong place). Is there hope or should
I dig it up all the same?

If you leave it in the same place, how are conditions going to improve?
I would dig it up, plant it in a pot with potting compost, protect the
new growth from slugs, and then plant it in a better place once it's got
going again - either this year or next.

--
Kay

Old 31-08-2005, 08:30 PM
FF

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:29:53 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , FF
writes
Hi,

I posted a while back about my Fuchsia Riccartone dying off and had many
helpful answers. It's taken me till now to cut it right back with a view
to digging it up (it's big) and I've just found stems that are still
green in the middle, a little bit of new growth down at the bottom and
what look like half a dozen sports about 6 inches from the base of the
plant.

D'you think it's still alive?

If it's got new growth it's alive.

Well yes, but if you'd seen how comprehensively dead it looked ... and
then to see tiny new leaves at the bottom...

Can it recover from root rot if conditions
improve?

Yes

(Granted, it *is* in the wrong place). Is there hope or should
I dig it up all the same?

If you leave it in the same place, how are conditions going to improve?

Good point!

I would dig it up, plant it in a pot with potting compost, protect the
new growth from slugs, and then plant it in a better place once it's got
going again - either this year or next.

I was wondering if I should dig it up now or wait until spring. I
suppose I can bring it in the house for the winter if I dig it now, but
which would be best for the plant?

Thanks for your response,

Liz
Old 31-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Kay

In article , FF
writes
wrote:

Can it recover from root rot if conditions
improve?

Yes

(Granted, it *is* in the wrong place). Is there hope or should
I dig it up all the same?

If you leave it in the same place, how are conditions going to improve?

Good point!

I would dig it up, plant it in a pot with potting compost, protect the
new growth from slugs, and then plant it in a better place once it's got
going again - either this year or next.

I was wondering if I should dig it up now or wait until spring. I
suppose I can bring it in the house for the winter if I dig it now, but
which would be best for the plant?

You were talking about root rot, which would suggest it's too wet. It's
only going to get wetter from now on, so if it were mine I'd dig it up
now. Have you got a porch you can keep it in rather than the warmth of
the house over winter? If not, then keep it outside, but possibly not
let the pot get completely frozen solid.
--
Kay