Old 01-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Registered User

Location: sarf west London
Angry what on earth is going on here..??

what's this load of nonsense on this UK forum..!!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Alan Holmes

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:23:12 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , dotCompost dotCompos
writes

what's this load of nonsense on this UK forum..!!

It's a minor irritation skipping the junk using a proper newsreader -

My proper news reader won't let me filter on NNTP:

What is NNTP?

Alan

Old 02-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from dotCompost contains these words:

what's this load of nonsense on this UK forum..!!

uk.rec.gardening's revenge on gardenbanter, for the load of nonsense
posted by gardenbanter members to this newsgroup.

Remember..uk.rec.gardening is a newsgroup on usenet, NOT a forum on a
website.

Janet

Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Kay

In article , martin
writes
wrote:

In article , dotCompost dotCompos
writes

what's this load of nonsense on this UK forum..!!

It's a minor irritation skipping the junk using a proper newsreader -

My proper news reader won't let me filter on NNTP:

I don't filter them. But I get this batch of obviously duff headings,
and I can scroll down really quickly and pick up the two or three
genuine headings at the end.

Out of curiosity I went to look at the other place - and they've got
something like 672 pages of urg posts! - no scrolling down from page to
page, of course, you have to click and wait for the page to load
painfully slowly.

--
Kay

Old 02-09-2005, 11:48 PM
WaltA

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:44:06 +0200, martin wrote:
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:49:52 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:
What is NNTP?

NNTP-Posting-Host is one of the fields in the header - see above. The
prats who forge names use a limited number of them.
Martin

Looking at the NNTP 82.17.130.19 for the 'wrong' (multi-x-posting)
'Alan' leads to :
82.17.130.19, cpc3-blac2-6-0-cust19.manc.cable.ntl.com
so unless there is a way to spoof the nntp he is on NTL cable (or a
cable client of NTL ?)

There are two (that I have seen so far) NNTPs for our
(uk.rec.gardening) Alan, thus:
82.26.27.2
goes to 62.253.121.42 : winn-bam-1-ge100.inet.ntl.com
and then times out before finding the next machine in line. (but see
below)
and the second 82.26.27.239
goes to a penultimate machine -
62.253.121.46 : winn-bam-1-ge110.inet.ntl.com
(similar to the one above) before arriving at the final machine-
82.26.27.239 : client-82-26-27-239.winn.adsl.virgin.net
this last link also frequently times out before reaching ( or times
out at ) the virgin machine.

Looks like Virgin is hosted by NTL then ?

Old 03-09-2005, 10:39 AM
WaltA

so unless there is a way to spoof the nntp he is on NTL cable

Addendum :I should have said
",, the nntp he is on NTL cable in the manchester area ,,,"

(assuming that NTL names their network nodes in the same way that they
name their proxy cache machines)

Old 03-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Alan Holmes

"WaltA" wrote in message

so unless there is a way to spoof the nntp he is on NTL cable

Addendum :I should have said
",, the nntp he is on NTL cable in the manchester area ,,,"

(assuming that NTL names their network nodes in the same way that they
name their proxy cache machines)

Well I'm certainly with virgin, but in Slough!

Interesting, as I post using BT.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:42 PM
WaltA

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:26:28 GMT, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"WaltA" wrote
so unless there is a way to spoof the nntp he is on NTL cable

Addendum :I should have said
",, the nntp he is on NTL cable in the manchester area ,,,"

(assuming that NTL names their network nodes in the same way that they
name their proxy cache machines)

Well I'm certainly with virgin, but in Slough!

Interesting, as I post using BT.

Yes, I saw that you were with Virgin from the node trace,
and looks like you are on ADSL via BT ?

Did we have a little misunderstanding here, you have replied to my
addendum post in which I was updating the info for the _other_ 'Alan',
the multi-x-posting 'Alan' who appears to be on NTL cable (? in the
Manchester area?) did you see my other post ?

OK on you being in Slough, is that anywhere near Winnersh ?
Cos that is where your Virgin access seems to be going into the NTL
network.

When I first posted the info I did not know how Virgin routed people,
I mean, if all Virgin broadband users were routed through a single
installation in Winnersh or not.
Since then, though, I have found several other Virgin routes into NTL