Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Pam Moore

Default Tomato blight again

I have just returned from a week's holiday and found that my allotment
tomatoes have got blight. This is either my 5th or 6th year of losing
some or all of my tomatoes, and I know that the fruit I have now
picked, although looking OK will probably develop blight quite soon.
I use a different patch of soil each year but methinks I sould have a
no-tomato rule next year.
I've never had blight on my potatoes, but usually get them dug before
the toms get it. I used bordeaux mixture one year but it didn't help
and made a horrible mess.
Very sad!

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pam Moore" wrote
I have just returned from a week's holiday and found that my allotment
tomatoes have got blight. This is either my 5th or 6th year of losing
some or all of my tomatoes, and I know that the fruit I have now
picked, although looking OK will probably develop blight quite soon.
I use a different patch of soil each year but methinks I sould have a
no-tomato rule next year.
I've never had blight on my potatoes, but usually get them dug before
the toms get it. I used bordeaux mixture one year but it didn't help
and made a horrible mess.
Very sad!

Try "Ferline" from T & M (I think)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Harold Walker

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Try "Ferline" from T & M (I think)

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

What sized tomato does Ferline produce? H

Old 13-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Pam Moore

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Try "Ferline" from T & M (I think)

My favourite is Sungold, and so far they are not affected. I will
certainly try Ferline next year if I grow any at all.
Thanks Bob

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Bob Hobden

"Harold Walker" asked after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Try "Ferline" from T & M (I think)

What sized tomato does Ferline produce? H

Like a quite large but normal shaped Tomato, good for every use, not too
much water, quite meaty for cooking. We like them although they aren't the
most tasty Tom but not bad, and you can grow them outside.

Old 14-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Klara

In message , Pam Moore
writes
I have just returned from a week's holiday and found that my allotment
tomatoes have got blight. This is either my 5th or 6th year of losing
some or all of my tomatoes, and I know that the fruit I have now
picked, although looking OK will probably develop blight quite soon. I
use a different patch of soil each year but methinks I sould have a
no-tomato rule next year. I've never had blight on my potatoes, but
usually get them dug before the toms get it. I used bordeaux mixture
one year but it didn't help
and made a horrible mess.
Very sad!

Pam in Bristol

I wonder what else harbours blight? I lost all my tomatoes three years
ago, and haven't grown any (or anything edible, for that matter, due to
others reasons) since, then tried again this year, and they expired
yesterday :-(((

But many of the flowering plants look unhappy too - the whole garden is
so very different from 30 years ago, so much more prone to diseases of
all sorts.
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 14-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:46:13 +0100, Klara wrote:

I wonder what else harbours blight? I lost all my tomatoes three years
ago, and haven't grown any (or anything edible, for that matter, due to
others reasons) since, then tried again this year, and they expired
yesterday :-((( But many of the flowering plants look unhappy too - the whole garden is
so very different from 30 years ago, so much more prone to diseases of
all sorts.

Klara, as far as I know only potatoes and tomatoes get this particular
blight. I'm not sure whether any other of the solanum family might be
affected.
If you have had as little rain this summer as we have had further
west, that would explain why other things are looking sad. Many of us
have similar sad-looking plants.
The rain of the last few days may perk things up a bit but it is a bit
late for some things.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Klara

In message , Pam Moore
writes
But many of the flowering plants look unhappy too - the whole garden is
so very different from 30 years ago, so much more prone to diseases of
all sorts.

Klara, as far as I know only potatoes and tomatoes get this particular
blight. I'm not sure whether any other of the solanum family might be
affected. If you have had as little rain this summer as we have had
further west, that would explain why other things are looking sad. Many
of us have similar sad-looking plants. The rain of the last few days
may perk things up a bit but it is a bit late for some things.

Pam in Bristol

They look worse than wilted, Pam - brown blotches, black blotches, ....
probably all different sorts of fungal diseases?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin