Old 16-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Stephen Goodall

Default Water Lily

I have a small pond 6ft by 4ft which is 3ft deep can anyone recommend from
personal experience a good small yellow water lily that won't take over the
whole pond.
Stephen

Old 16-03-2003, 02:33 PM
jane

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:46:20 -0000, "Stephen Goodall"
wrote:

~I have a small pond 6ft by 4ft which is 3ft deep can anyone recommend from
~personal experience a good small yellow water lily that won't take over the
~whole pond.
~Stephen
~

I have a Nymphaea pygmaea helvola, which cost about £13 from BBC GW show a
couple of years back.

It's tiny - I keep it in a 45cm diameter plastic pot pond, together with
two fish, a load of snails, a flag iris and some elodea. Been there two
winters now and it flowers beautifully right through the summer. Doesn't
get bigger than the pot size, I believe. (Might be too small for your pond
depth, but can always be balanced on bricks)

Can send a photo if you want one.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 16-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Stephen
Goodall writes
I have a small pond 6ft by 4ft which is 3ft deep can anyone recommend from
personal experience a good small yellow water lily that won't take over the
whole pond.

It also depends on how much sun the pond gets. The water lily will only
open its flowers in sunshine, and a vigorous variety will not grow so
vigorously in a pond which is shaded part of the day.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 16-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Stephen Goodall" contains these words:

I have a small pond 6ft by 4ft which is 3ft deep can anyone recommend from
personal experience a good small yellow water lily that won't take over the
whole pond.
Stephen

Nymphaea 'Marliacea Chromatella' is not exactly small - more medium
sized. I have had it in a pond about the size you describe and I like it
very much. As well as yellow flowers, it has leaves which are slightly
blotched with dark red. It will probably spread over nearly
three-quarters of your pond after about three years, but your pond is
certainly deep enough to accommodate it nicely. However, it will not
suit if you want a really small lily.

Janet G